sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion


Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-04, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Join Date: Jul-2002
Location: Ontario Cda
Posts: 3,234
As far as I've been told by USFWS, more than 6 animals is considered a commercial shipment, so you'll need an export permit. I'd definitely check it out first if you plan to take orders for the show.
DragnDrop is offline  
Old 08-11-04, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Join Date: Apr-2003
Posts: 995
I wonder if it's 6 per person or per car.....
either way, thank you for the info!

I've printed off alot of stuff that might be needed when coming back, and a full detailed list of the cites animals that won't be following us home!
justinO is offline  
Old 08-11-04, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar-2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Age: 58
Posts: 1,485
We go through this over and over. No herps can legally leave or enter the USA without being inspected by US fish & wildlife. To do so is breaking US federal law. These inspections must be set up a couple days in advance as USF&W isn't permanently posted at any border crossings and no border crossings are considered "designated ports" and that is where inspections usually take place(major airports). Getting inspections at "non designated ports"
is doable but you need an "exception from designated port permit" It's 25 bucks, and the US import/export license is 50US per annum..
The import/export license and exception from designated port permit is required for all commercial transactions and are usually ordered several weeks before they are required. You will first get an application, then will have to mail it back with a US$ cheque, and wait several weeks for processing.
If you have a few "pets" they might wave the license and exception permit, but you still are supposed to arrange an inspection.. and that usually costs 55US, even if you don't have the license and except from des permit.

Lots of people bring NON CITES stuff across and simply declare it to Canada customs and pay the GST & PST, as there is no natural mechanism to interact with US officials when crossing back to Canada..
Just be aware that while this is fine with Canada customs, you've broken US law to get that far.
Now Canada customs wont tell you this because it's not their jurisdiciton or job to inform Canadians of US law. Problems are only likely to arrise if for some reason they contact the US side about your animals, or you are sent back with them.
If US customs then finds out, you crossed the border with animals that weren't inspected, you might be in a bit of trouble and subject to a fine or denied US access in the future.
Uncle Roy
Herpetology - more than a hobby
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding
Stockwell is offline  
Old 08-12-04, 06:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar-2003
Location: Orillia, ON
Age: 47
Posts: 460
Thanks, Roy, for saving me the trouble:-)

For anyone interested, I will soon be importing some additional specimens for our programs. I can bring in stuff (excl. turtles and CITES species) for others if requested, on a cost sharing basis.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!
Jeff Hathaway is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0