border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-04, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

a little computer help, anyone???

Found a virus on my comp yesterday, it's called, 'rem163f.exe' (adware).. It's bringing up a 'passthrough' when I load IE and then opens up a little search bar at the bottom of my screen (omega-search).. I was able to kill the search bar by running 'HijackThis' however, when I reboot, it comes back again.. I have also tried running, 'Spybot Search And Destroy' and 'Ad-aware 6' but it's not being detected by them.. So far, only my Norton has picked it up, however, it wont let me delete it.. It always says to 'exclude'.. Anyone have any experience with this crap? Willing to help me out?

Thanks in advance
Login to remove ads
Old 08-04-04, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
When you figure this one out, let me know...I have the same thing on my computer, nothings worked, not even stuff like XBlocker, which you have to pay for.
Old 08-04-04, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

This might help:

Computer Cops Forum - Omega-search spyware
Old 08-04-04, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Matt, have you tried this?
http://www.soft32.com/download-CWShredder-19014-5.html

Hope this helps. Spyware sucks eggs.

Last edited by Edwin; 08-04-04 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-04-04, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

go to run program in your start menu, type in msconfig, press ok. then go to the startup tab and see if it is listed, if it is uncheck it. also can do a search your computer for that program in your start menu and when it is found delete it. also delete all temp files, temp internet files and cookies on you computer by going to tools , internet options in internet explorer.. good luck
Login to remove ads
Old 08-04-04, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
I had the same problem on my work comp with "Virtual Bouncer" It literally just installs itself on your comp and is difficult to get rid of because it automatically reinstalls after each reboot. I wish I could remember what I did to get it off the automatic installation, but perhaps someone else might know? I'll try and figure it out and get back to you!
Old 08-04-04, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
If you are running off of Windows XP go to your control pannel > Add/Remove Programs then find it on the list and click un install
Old 08-04-04, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I have tried CW Shredder, didn't work.. I have gone to your link Hilde, same thing.. I have checked in Add/Remove Programs and it is not listed.. I will try Sweet's idea now.. Thanks guys, you rule..

-Matt
Old 08-04-04, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey Matt, spysweeper IMO Is by far the best adaware program. I run it periodically and it never ceases to amaze me with all the crap it finds. Have you tried it?
Old 08-04-04, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I found another forum where they give detailed info to remove the Omega-search. May as well try this one, see if it helps:
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14809

Should all else fail, if you don't have any registry cleaners, try installing one to see if you can track it down. I use RegCleaner (not Regclean by MS). RegSupreme (formerly called RegCleaner) You can get the new or original version at this site. Even though it works on the registry, it's got lots of safety and backup features, I've never had problems with it. With RegCleaner, you can disable a program from running on start-up, and also uninstal.

The best thing to use is probably AIDA32, a free program that can tell you exactly what's on your computer (and it'll tell you more than you might want to know, or imagined there is to know about your PC). If you decide to download it, it can tell you where the Omega-search is, if it's registered as a service, run, run-once etc, so you can locate and delete/disable it.
AIDA32 - Personal System Information 3.93 download from MajorGeeks. Just go to the Registry entry on the 'treeview', and click on the various choices. It should show you where this 'virus' thingee is hiding. If nothing else, it can show you a lot of possible problems brewing that you never suspected.
The programmer has closed his site due job related reasons since I downloaded my copy, but it's still available on a few download sites.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-04-04, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

I tried the first one you mentioned Hilde, and when i checked in safe mode, the files they say to delete, we'rent found..

I tried Reg Supreme, but it's honestly a bunch of jibberish to me.. LOL.. Im still trying to figure it out..

AIDA32 is more of the same to me...
Old 08-04-04, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Vengeance
You could allwasy try and search the registry for the file name. It has to be started from somewhere and all information about your OS is contained in the registry.

Please note that if you modify something in your registry it could completly hose your entire system, so if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't bother.

Might be easier at the end of the day to just save your data somewhere and rebuild the OS. Most times spyware and pop ups and things like that really dig down deep in your system and are never really gone, it's better just to format the os and start over sometimes instead of just trying to bandaid the problem.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
1.0 Cali King Snake (Weebl)
0.0.1 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle (Hootie)
Old 08-04-04, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

might also turn off your system restore, sometimes things can get backed up in it. To delete windows temp fies, go into safe mode and type in %temp% in explorer. also can check if the program is running in the background by hitting ctlr alt delete and check the processes tab (in regular mode not safe)
Old 08-04-04, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Matt- I wouldn't mess with the registery if you don't know what you are doing. These babies will hatch soon so worst case scenario, deal with it until my Matt can come save you when we come up! LOL :P :P

Marisa
Old 08-04-04, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Marisa, i was actually just thinking the same thing.. I think that definatly sounds like a plan..

Can anyone recommend something to prevent this crap from infecting the comp??? I have Norton Internet Security Professional 2004 right now.. Also have a crap load of spyware stuff. None of which seem to be good enough if it's all still there, huh???

Also, i have been trying to remove this virus from Norton and it wont let me.. It says, 'cannot delete file'.. I was going to call Norton, but they charge an arm, leg and other for their tech support.. Anyone know why this might be? (that i can't delete it)

Thanks everyone, your help is appreciated.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread