border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-04, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feeding

Id like to first ask no one to get offended cause this may be a touchy subject. I by no meens feed my snakes anything other than mice or what is in there natural diet. But ive been thinking alot about it lately. I dont believe in god or any religon. i just believe in the fact that every living thing in this world is equal. i just wanted to know what people opinions on feeding cats, ferrets and other creatures to snakes. in my opinion all these animals are equal.
im not trying to justify it or anything. actually at the moment my young cat MIA is sitting on my lap. im just trying to get a serious conversation started. Im just trying to see what makes cats more important than rats or rabbits etc.

adam

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

looking into amazon bird eating snakes too!!!!!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-04, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Genius

Personal opinion.
Old 07-28-04, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

my personal stance:
we don't feed pets to pets.

we see the rats/mice/frozen bunnies as food. Cats, pretty much no matter who's, are potentially someones pet.

Also, most animals (especially ferrets!) are much more expensive and harder to breed than any rodent.
Old 07-28-04, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
This is an interesting topic, and not to sound crude, but there were times I thought about it, with all the 'free puppies and kitties' ads. These 'pets' are born into a world where there are too many already. Most end up euthanized or being mistreated by owners.

If there were not any stigmas attached to the fact that most of us do own cats and ferrets as pets, using young, unwanted litters as a food source would appear to be a solution.

Let me also say that lots and lots of people keep Rats, Mice, Gerbils, Bunnies and a host of other creatures we typically think of as food for our pets, as their own pets.

I have never tried it, because I know my concious would get the better of me, but for someone else this could be an idea to experiment with.

If I, or anyone else I knew, wanted to give the idea a go, we would most likely be shot down when telling someone, "I'll take your whole litter, they'll be fed to my hungry pythons..." I, of course, wouldn't lie to anyone.

I try to remain open-minded, but this is a very touchy topic. Wild snakes would no doubt eat wild kittens if given the opportunity....
Old 07-28-04, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I've had rats, mice, rabbits, cats as pets and would have to say that I could never feed a snake a cat. Not that I place them any higher or lower in the spectrum of importance. Cats, for me anyway, have very different and unique personalities. Then again, I've had a few rats with amazing personalities and even a male rabbit.

I dunno, buying frozen/thawed makes it easier. Kind of like buying beef/chicken/pork that's already cut up as opposed to killing the creature youself.

I'm a softy and feel sad for the pinkies that I thaw out to feed my baby snakes but when they've finished eating I always feel happy to have supplied them with a good meal.

That's how it is for me anyhow....
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-04, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

but the thing i dont understand is what is it about cats and dogs that make it illegal to feed to snakes and rabbits and such not/

my 2 cents

adam

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

Old 07-28-04, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

but the thing i dont understand is what is it about cats and dogs that make it illegal to feed to snakes and rabbits and such not/

my 2 cents

adam

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

Old 07-28-04, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
hhw

Is it actually illegal to use cats and dogs for food?

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that felines get rigor mortis really bad, really quickly thus making a poor food choice for a snake.

Personally, the only thing different about cats and dogs than smaller mammals like mice, rats, or rabbits is that they are more intelligent. However, pigs are also very intelligent and are used for food by humans all the time. I have no qualms with using cats or dogs as reptile or human food; there simply is no objective basis to give them such preferential treatment and I personally am not influenced by any social stigmas that would prevent me from using them in that manner. However, I don't simply because a) I don't keep anything for which a cat or dog would be a suitable prey item, and b) It's just plain uneconomical.
Old 07-28-04, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

A cat ate my snake.
Old 07-29-04, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
I'm not aware of any laws that makes it illegal to feed puppies and kitties to snakes. Some might complain that it would be animal cruelty... which it is, if fed live, or not dispatched properly, in my opinion. If you feed a live rat or mouse to a snake I would also consider that cruel and unneccessary...

On the subject of intelligence... it has been proven time and time again, that rats are among the most intelligent of rodents. Yes, I would agree that dogs and cats have greater intelligence, but it makes no difference to me on this subject... I don't think it's relevant. I think the stigma stems from most people having grown up keeping dogs and cats as pets, not food. If that were different then, of course, we would not be having this discussion...

I'm sure people who raise and butcher livestock are perplexed with individuals who keeps horses, cattle, pigs, goats and chickens as pets. Depends on your upbringing, I guess...

It would be sad to see the day when people bought frozen puppies and kittens for their snakes and monitors, etc. but with that sadness would also come many happy, healthy animals who have homes, thanks to the fact that shelters wouldn't be so crowded, and the pressure to make room for 'new' strays wouldn't result in animals being euthanized within 3 days of their arrival in the pound. Let's face it, roughly 80% of the animals that go into a pound won't leave alive anyways, why not spare them in the first place?

Like I said before, I wouldn't consider using them as a food source, but for someone else willing to experiment, I keep an open mind. If things went my way I'd just toss a salad to my snake and we'd all live happily ever after!

Last edited by Samba; 07-29-04 at 11:41 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-04, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Personally I don't like to see any life wasted, and I think it might be better if the animals euthanised at the pound were used as food for other animals. Then the death had a point, instead of just burying them somewhere. I feel the same about hunting... if you're just shooting animals for the fun of it, I don't like it at all, but if you're going to eat what you kill, then it's at least a little better.

They would have to euthanise them differently though, because you can't feed them to anything if they have deadly chemicals in them.
Old 07-29-04, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to capsicum Send a message via Yahoo to capsicum
After working at an animal shelter for 3 years, I do understand peoples' views that there are plently of them around.

But also after working at that shelter, I could never do that to them.

Yes, I started with rats as pets, and was disgusted with the idea of feeding them to reptiles. However, after meeting a few snakes, working with them, and understanding the snakes, I now don't mind it.

But, I did have to sell all of my pets, and kept only feeder breeders, and my breeding stock of hairless. Even then, if I had nothing else, the hairless juvies would be food (last resort only though).

In my own religion, I can't justify using a cat or dog to feed my snakes (not that I currently have anything big enough to eat them, but one day).

TK
Old 07-29-04, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

I, and I'm sure everyone else here, respect your opinions. It's not just that "cats and dogs are plentiful, let's use them for food!" it's looking at all those lives wasted for nothing... it's entirely man's fault, yet they are the ones who suffer when they're homeless and hungry, when they go to the pound, not knowing their 'rescuers' will kill them within a week. All the ignorant people out there who still refuse to spay/neuter your pets... it's FREE now people! I've had two of my cats done for absolutely FREE!!!! Even if you have to pay a little bit, it'll be well worth it!

We wouldn't even be thinking of this idea if it weren't for all the unwanted free puppies and kitties listed in the newspapers, sitting in the pound...needing homes...

I agree with Oliverian, that if this would be a concept to implement we would need to find a safe and humane way to dispatch animals without rendering their bodies useless for food... (what about gasing?) Secondly, we generally have to get the public... the vets, animal care employees, etc. to see this effort as a good idea, and that wouldn't be easy.

I would love to save all the animals, and believe me, I would if I could, but that's never going to happen....
Old 07-29-04, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to capsicum Send a message via Yahoo to capsicum
It deffinately is the fault of humans! I agree, many lives go wasted because of careless people who think it's too much to alter their pet.

My religion is very animal and nature based, thats what I meant by that.

Also looking at my own cats I just couldn't do it. But then thats what I said about rats way back when.

TK
Old 07-29-04, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to annieb_mice Send a message via Yahoo to annieb_mice
This is an interesting topic. Personally, I wouldn't feed my snakes a cat or dog nor would I eat them myself, yet in other parts of the world they are considered a food source. In fact, in many other cultures insects are seen as a food source and are actually considered nutritionally better for you then mammals.
As far as intelligence goes, if we equate intelligence to being more worthy of living then by that same train of thought, dolphins and several other mammals should be worth more than humans as it has been shown that these animals are at least, if not more, intelligent than homo sapiens. Rats are supposedly just as intelligent as dogs.
Should we use cats and dogs as food for reptiles? Well.. it would sure decrease the number of animals being killed at the pounds! Why not just give these animals to zoos or whatever to feed to the larger carnivores? I doubt a lion or tiger or bear would think twice about eating a dog and I'm sure if people knew their family pet would be eaten it might make them stop and think before they so carelessly toss their pets aside when it suits them. :P
Take care
Annie B. <:3 )~~
Closed Thread