border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-04, 04:18 PM   #31 (permalink)

As keepers, we provide our animals with a controlled enviornment. In that, we also have the ability to limit suffering of any animal. Any keeper who does not at least try to limit the suffering of the animal being fed is not fit to keep the animal about to eat.

About what type of animal is allowed to be fed to your animals... i think it should go by the locality of the snake your feeding. If i had an african rock python, there shouldnt be a problem with me feeding tyhe snake cats...because there is a very good chance an african rock will eat wild african cats.

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

looking into amazon bird eating snakes too!!!!!
Old 07-29-04, 04:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
hhw

Sorry, in regards to my comment for drawing a line, that was not directed to you personally. I used "you" in reference to every person.

Keep in mind, I am referring to specific extraordinary circumstances. I feed exclusively carbon dioxide euthanized prey, but if I were ever in a position where it came down to feeding live or watching my pet starve to death, I think I would resort to using a live prey item. I would use a live rodent, although probably a younger one yet to open its eyes and thus, as far as I can tell, less aware of its impending death. If it did come down to using an adult rodent though, I still think I would.

Now, I think everyone draws some sort of subjective line as to what animals they will use as live prey. As Samba mentioned, insects are acceptable. There are people out there who believe no living thing should die at all, and would find feeding live insects unacceptable. After all, a lot of people are against boiling lobsters, as they feel that is inhumane. Then, there are people who would have no problem with using live fish as prey, whereas othes would. The same goes for amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals (although it may fall somewhere within one of those animal groups). I am certain that somewhere there is someone extreme enough who would even use humans to feed their pets if they could get away with it (After all, there are all kinds of people on this earth).

Also, I should probably note that there is probably a line where people have no problem with feeding live at all, and another where they will only feed live under extraordinary circumstances.

I personally will feed everything up to and including fish as live, with no problem whatsoever. Amphibians, reptiles, and some birds and mammals I will use as live prey in extraordinary circumstances, but avoid as much as possible. Now, all this is entirely based on what I personally feel is the capacity for suffering to be. Even crickets will struggle to escape once captured in the jaws of a lizard.

Anyway, that's just where I stand. I will use any animal that is humanely euthanized as food. I will use some animals and not others as live prey in extraordinary circumstances, and I will use some animals live under any circumstances while not others. This is based on the objective reasoning that some animals have a greater capacity for suffering than others, and a somewhat subjective determination as to which animals are acceptable while others are not.
Old 07-30-04, 10:18 AM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Quote:
Originally posted by anacondaman
Any keeper who does not at least try to limit the suffering of the animal being fed is not fit to keep the animal about to eat.
I totally agree with your statement, Anacondaman. In circumstances where there is not a frozen animal available, at least the animal should be put down in a swift and humane way. It wouldn't be fair for them to grow up trusting humans, and then have a human throw them at a hungry python. In the wild live animals have the opportunity for escape or to hide. In captivity only a miracle could spare a rodent in such a situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by hhw
Sorry, in regards to my comment for drawing a line, that was not directed to you personally. I used "you" in reference to every person.
HHW, I take no offense, I understood your point and felt it would be more engaging if I shared my personal opinions.

Your comment about choosing between watching your pet starve to death or feeding live is one I share, with one difference, though. I still wouldn't feed the animal live, I would instead whack it so that it would be painless. I don't like the idea of whacking, but I know, if done correctly, would spare the rat the mental and physical agony of being eatten.

I for one, am against the live preparation of animals for human consumptions, including lobsters and fish.

I just don't believe anything should have to suffer unneccssarily. Crickets and worms destined to become my gecko's dinner are placed into the freezer just long enough that they go into a sleep (also makes capture easier for the little one).

If anything, I could be one of those 'extremists' you might be talking about! LOL

Last edited by Samba; 07-30-04 at 10:20 AM..
Old 07-30-04, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

does anyone actually know the laws pertaining to feeding cats and dogs to snakes????

adam

Breeding Next Year
1.1 Spilotes pullatus
1.1 Corallus hortulanus

looking into amazon bird eating snakes too!!!!!
Old 07-30-04, 03:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Nope, Sorry. I really don't believe there are any... otherwise they might also pertain to live rodents, amphibians, reptiles and even insects(?!). If there is a specific law law relating to only canines and felines being used as a food source for human or animal I'd be very interested in reviewing it...

The only laws I can think might affect this topic would be Animal Cruelty Laws; and even those would probably only apply in a situation where an animal was fed live, and thus suffered....
Old 07-30-04, 03:59 PM   #36 (permalink)

Ok, after looking around a bit I found some interesting articles related to this subject. I started a new thread called, "Teacher Wants to Feed Puppies to his Snakes"...

Hope you find it as interesting as I did...

Last edited by Samba; 07-30-04 at 04:01 PM..
Closed Thread