border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-02, 05:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dom

Send a message via MSN to Dom
Signed and sealed

**looking for female Bredl's python**
Old 10-04-02, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Syst3m
Not to be the bad guy, but what legislation are we talking about here that is going to ban reptiles? I would like to see some information about what I am signing a petition against. If there is actual legislation going before the senate I would have though I would have heard about it. And on top of that encouraging people to write their congressmen about this would be a much more appropriate step rather then signing a petition that.

Just because some group of people want to ban reptiles does not mean that they have a chance in hell. I'm not aware of any current bills being introduced to make keeping reptiles against the law. On top of that the fact that it would hurt many small businesses is also not in the best interest in this country. I can not see a movement like this making any kind of momentum in this country.
Old 10-04-02, 11:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think it's kinda funny how this person preaches education yet has multiple errors thoughout the petition. Might wanna fix these before sending it in :P

Z
Old 10-04-02, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Done

Tay

http://www.sophiagroup.org/cgi-sophiagroup/ikonboard.cgi - Sophiagroup

"He who always gets the last word, is generally the least intelligent speaker!"
Old 10-04-02, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Actually Syst3m, I don't know that there is a major bill on this, but If you do some checking, you will find that a number of local governments are sliding this through. There was a posting not too long ago from someone in Colorado that was trying to find a home for their snakes .. their municipality had banned pretty much everything. There was another in eastern canada that had two or three days to get rid of their snakes or face fines.
No, they won't win a major attack on herp owning, but if they keep sneaking these laws here and there, soon they will be able to win. Our defence is to stay vigilent and be heard, otherwise the governments will only hear the whiners and act on their demands.
Old 10-04-02, 10:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

All I know is, I'm in for supporting the cause even there IS a slim chance of any laws being passed.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."

and...

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...." oh, wait, wrong quote.
Old 10-05-02, 12:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Syst3m
Quervo, I'm familiar with the locality based stuff. But I feel that is something that each individual needs to take up in their own community. Signing a petition about banning reptiles isn't going to help anyone with the problem now. Being active in your local city council meetings and educating people at those meetings is the way to go. Not some fly by night petition on the net.
Old 10-07-02, 02:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Will the canadian voices add any weight to the issue? laws get passed by the elected officials and until canada finishes anexing the states we don't get to elect anyone there

May you live in interesting times.
Old 10-07-02, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by Syst3m
Not to be the bad guy, but what legislation are we talking about here that is going to ban reptiles? I would like to see some information about what I am signing a petition against. If there is actual legislation going before the senate I would have though I would have heard about it. And on top of that encouraging people to write their congressmen about this would be a much more appropriate step rather then signing a petition that.

Just because some group of people want to ban reptiles does not mean that they have a chance in hell. I'm not aware of any current bills being introduced to make keeping reptiles against the law. On top of that the fact that it would hurt many small businesses is also not in the best interest in this country. I can not see a movement like this making any kind of momentum in this country.
Actually the american humane society is trying to get reptile and other exotic pets banned, i don't know if that will go through or not but they do have a lot of strenth, specially with the puppy and kitty loving people.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 10-07-02, 03:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

The humane society is ridiculous, they want to ban reptile pets because they get abandoned, are dangerous, etc, etc...and yet they get thousands of abandoned puppies and kittens every year...friggin hypocrites...don't even get me started on the american humane society...
Login to remove ads
Old 10-07-02, 04:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Done
Closed Thread