border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-04, 03:04 PM   #61 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smeagel
i pickrd up a pair of BP. a normal girl and a 100% het ghost from corey woods that i am picking up later this week.
Old 06-15-04, 03:29 PM   #62 (permalink)
Super Genius

I was there and would have to agree with some of you in that it's not really that difficult to tell which tables are really serious about selling. I saw maybe 5 set-ups that were visually appealing, (and they know who they are). I draw the comparison between setting up a table/selling yourself as a school project in grade school; There are those who stencil their letters with attention to detail onto their bristolboards for their Science Fair project, and there are those who haphazardly get it done in two minutes, freehand, the night before. There were far too many "freehanders" at this show. If you show pride in yourself, your work and your reptiles, it will show in sales. At a show, you're selling yourself as much as you're selling your reptiles, but what will bring a customer to a table is your presentation. Get them to your table and THEN wow them with your personality, knowledge and quality. It's unfortunate many tables didn't take themselves too seriously. That's the reason that the Canadian shows will never be what the American ones are. Sorry to ruffle some table vendors feathers, but them's the truth.
Old 06-15-04, 03:38 PM   #63 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to meow_mix450
What i like about some tables are photo ablums, or slide shows of the parents or the reptiles they are selling, it shows how much you really know about these guys. Business cards are always a good thing, once you have a chat with the customer give them your business card, and maybe they will pass it on to there friends

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 06-15-04, 03:39 PM   #64 (permalink)

This is my first time posting, but I do want to give some input here. My husband and I have been to all but one show over the last 18 months. At every show we have bought something.

This time we brought a friend, a first time herper. He had a tank and wanted a cornsnake. Since we had purchased Simon's corns in the past, that is straight where we headed first. I learned from my very first show, if I want it, then I get it right then and there. I'll browse later thank you, but I don't want to be disappointed when I go back to a table and the morph and sex I wanted are gone.

We have bought something at every show. A frilled dragon was on the agenda for our first show...and our collection of reptiles has grown substantially from each visit to the "Expo". This time the back seat was filled with 2 beautiful female normal corns het "Simon's specialties" and a 'girlfriend' for Sonny, our 18 month old beardie. Our guest purchased a male, Sunglow Corn...and he will be a repeat customer, he was so impressed with the show.

As far as table setup, it's not as important to me as the 'identity, price and sex' of the herp I am looking for. Be up front with all three....and then I will ask questions if you have what I am interested in.

I'm $400.00 'lighter' in pocket so there were some of us who made buys...and I sure left there excited about my purchases and already thinking about what will be available at the next show.

Oh Simon, the 'girls' are just fine. Each had a pinkie when we got home.

Ruth and Jeff
Old 06-15-04, 04:13 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by HanneysCorns
Oh Simon, the 'girls' are just fine. Each had a pinkie when we got home.

Ruth and Jeff
Only?

But I can understand why you fed it pinkies only. Trust me....they can take down fuzzies maybe even hoppers with no problem~~

But I would stick with the fuzzies first since they just got home~~

Glad to hear that the gals are doing fine for you~~
Login to remove ads
Old 06-15-04, 05:01 PM   #66 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

I got... *drumroll*... feeders! I know, not exciting, but I had no intention of buying anything new, nor do I intend on it until Mike and myself gets ourselves in to a house. Thank you Silke for the presents! Wondering where silkworms.ca is however. Missed them the past 3-4 shows and am really missing the silkworms

Matt,
Anytime~! No need for thanks, I always have a blast
Old 06-15-04, 05:33 PM   #67 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to SaIiLdVaEnR
It was good seeing you again Linds!

Aidan
Old 06-15-04, 09:33 PM   #68 (permalink)

First ...

I would like to give those :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: To Grant! I didint go to the one in april so I didint see how the new place was. I went to this one as a visitor and I must say i'm very impressed with all that space and the configuration of the hall! Grant you rule and you truely have an awsome vision of what show's in Canada should look like. I remember the first one and from there it has improved 1000%. It is an awsome idea to invite Greg Maxwell at this show ( even if i missed his speech because of a party that ended late at night on saturday with some Toronto herper friends)

Second...

As far as I remember all June show's that I went were a bit slower than the show's in september. In my opinion it has nothing to do with anything other than : people on vacation, summer and weather.

Third...

I will surely be at the september show as a vendor I'll keep some stuff this year just for this show.

Last...

I finally met Simon Fung! ( I spoke to him only on the phone in the past for some snakes he bought of me ) I was impressed on the phone but in person he really is a super nice & professional guy with some amazing animals!
Simon i'll call you for the next party in Toronto thats for sure! I think it will occur on a friday because I dont want my brain to "liquify" in front of people as I sell a snake hehehe You are welcome in Montreal to as all the other people I chated with. By the way I hope you all understood my english

Stav
Old 06-16-04, 10:10 PM   #69 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Sean_.E.
It was a really slow show and a very long day but all in all I had a great time. I helped out Jordan M. and at his table for the day ( I was the guy with black hair and a plain white long-sleeved shirt on, for those of you who don't know me), met lots of cool people and saw a few cool animals. Selection at the show wasn't all that great but there were a select few animals that really caught my eye. It was fun, I definately had lots of laughs.

Quote:
Does anyone ever BUY anything at the shows, or do people just go because its a cheap zoo with wicked animals to see up close?
I have to admit Jeff, yes, thats part of it . That and the many other aspects of a reptile show. One of the best parts of the show is being able to meet and socialize with people that have the same interest as you, there are some really interesting, cool and informative people out there!

Many vendors/businesses (that sell animals, supplies and feeders) only sell at shows so many people go just to buy from these people.

Anyways Im sure you know how a Reptile Expo works!

Linds: I know what you mean, silkworms.ca seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Hmmm...

Oh, by the way I picked up a little baby yellow ratsnake (Thanks "Jungle Jen" a.k.a."Suntiger" ), couldn't resist the little guy!

Sean E.

Last edited by Sean_.E.; 06-16-04 at 10:23 PM..
Old 06-16-04, 10:45 PM   #70 (permalink)

I am going to say that I was dissapointed with the show. I did not intend to buy anything, but was on the lookout for a good looking ATB. There did not seem to be as much variety in this one as ones in the past. There was the basics, but nothing spectacular. I did see the Jags, Bredl's, Diamonds, and Mellers Chams, but unfortunatly these were not for sale (except Mellers). For example, at previous shows I can remember seeing atleast 2 or 3 different ATB colourations, at this show I only found one ATB in total.

This being said my brother a first time herper did go home happy with a baby veiled, so i guess its all in what your looking for.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-16-04, 10:45 PM   #71 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to mice4you
Although I do agree with dressing your table up, there is one huge difference between Canadian and American shows. The attendance. The US market is 10 times larger than the Canadian (statistically).

We have had tables at various US trade shows (FIRS, NARBC, Raleigh, etc.). Even at these shows, there are still some breeders that have very basic set ups. There are definitely more professional booths at these shows however, they are able to weed out joe hobbyist by booth cost. I have yet to pay less than $250 USD for a table at one of these shows. WIth this in mind, many "small" breeders do not take a table as they would need to sell everything they have to turn a profit. If they have a bad show, they could easily be out $5-$600 between table, travelling, accomodations, etc.

Grant on the other hand charges $75 per table. A small breeder would be more inclined to take a table at a show like this because of the cost.

There are a lot of smaller US shows that have a low table cost. I have seen many tables at these shows that are bare or poorly decorated.

I do agree that if you want to be noticed, you better do something to your table. In shows like this, it is inevitable that there will be more than one vendor with the same product. When I arrived and looked around, the first table that caught my eye was High Quality's! They had some excellent animals on display, it was clean, brightly lit and they had a very noticeable sign (as did capital dragons).

As for sales being down. When I checked my sales records, traditionally the June show has always been slower than March. I guess everyone is thinking about their vacation plans
FOR ALL YOUR FEEDER NEEDS> NOW SELLING RODENTS & CRICKETS
Old 06-16-04, 11:01 PM   #72 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
Quote:
I have to admit Jeff, yes, thats part of it . That and the many other aspects of a reptile show. One of the best parts of the show is being able to meet and socialize with people that have the same interest as you, there are some really interesting, cool and informative people out there!

Many vendors/businesses (that sell animals, supplies and feeders) only sell at shows so many people go just to buy from these people.
Totally Sean. Networking too! Its all good stuff. I always wanted to go to the Ontario Meet n' Greets at the show, just to watch Linds et al get super hammered! LOL! I'll have to make do with the pics that Shane posts! Ha ha!
Old 06-16-04, 11:15 PM   #73 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Jeff if you show up at an Ontario show for once, even I'll get drunk! Ha!

Marisa
Old 06-17-04, 12:11 AM   #74 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
SOLD! Wo-hoo!!!!
Old 06-17-04, 12:16 AM   #75 (permalink)

Dude, that might not be a good thing, she talk non stop when she's sober, i can only imagine what she'll be like drunk.. Oh man, im skipping that show!!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread