border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-04, 10:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I must agree about the talking thing. Anyone who knows me (I am looking in Matt_K's direction with this one) knows I am a big mouth. I like to talk. But it seems some vendors can't be bothered being friendly. Mind you, the ones that are, are very friendly!

I like the extra time put into a nice table display as well. But then again, a bare table with the highest qaulity animals in the place would still get my attention, if not more.

It's really to bad about some vendors not being talkative or trying to sell too hard because I am easily sucked in by a good salesman and impulse buys even when I mean to come home with nothing. LOL.

Marisa
Old 06-15-04, 12:19 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by marisa
I must agree about the talking thing. Anyone who knows me (I am looking in Matt_K's direction with this one) knows I am a big mouth. I like to talk.
Oh man, the chick doesn't shut up!!!! LMAO...

As for the show just past.. I picked up only one snake.. A 0.1 BCI from Big Dan...

The show itself seemed a little bit slower then rest, i assume a lot of people were away at the cottages for the weekend as the weather was great.. Aside from that, the show was fun, as it's always good to hang out with old friends that you only see at the shows... Our table did pretty good, not as good as the last show, but im not complaining.. A HUGE thank you to Linds for giving me a hand, i don't know what i would have done without you being there Linds!!!
Old 06-15-04, 01:57 AM   #48 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Ciddian
awesome post guys.....dangit...sorry i missed out! ~_^
I compleatly agree with the impuls buying... I made a big mistake when i purchased my first cham which i will never do again untill i have everything ready and set before hand....as the same with any purchase.

~*Ciddi*~
Old 06-15-04, 02:26 AM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
Quote:
I must agree about the talking thing. Anyone who knows me (I am looking in Matt_K's direction with this one) knows I am a big mouth. I like to talk. But it seems some vendors can't be bothered being friendly.
I would have talked to you Marisa, ....wink wink.... How you doin'....

Old 06-15-04, 02:32 AM   #50 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
I wouldn't buy a reptile just because the table was nice. I like to think that being this far into the hobby, my objectiveness on new purchases is a little higher than whether or not the display was nice. But then again, if I want an animal, I don't usually wait for a show. I email the breeder, email/PayPal the money and get the animal. No nonsense is my style.

But I agree for things like leos, corns, beardies, kings, etc etc, maybe a better display will garner more sales than the next breeder with the same animals. But if you produce quality animals, a clean simple display should let the specimens speak for themselves. That is, if you produce quality. No amount of bells and whistles can hide sub-par, weak, or sick animals from the smart buyer. Unfortunately, a lot of buyers at shows do not fall into that category.

Best of luck vendors. Its a zooo out there. I salute the effort of the guys trying to make a buck at the shows with their animals. Its certainly not easy.

Cheers, JF.
Old 06-15-04, 08:32 AM   #51 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to SaIiLdVaEnR
Thank you very much Yve for sharing my painting with the rest of those on these forums. I am truly glad you enjoy it, and I hope you will do so for years to come,

My regards,

Aidan Ferreira
Old 06-15-04, 09:02 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruciform
I would have loved to make it to the Toronto show this time around but, due to moving this week, I had to pass

I was only at one show before this, and I have to say "Sellers, take heart!"

I would have liked to have had money to burn last time and bought some animals, but I just picked up bedding and rodent food. I talked to a few sellers and they were somewhat disappointed by sales. The thing is, I walked out of there with half a dozen business cards, from people I fully intend to purchase animals from in the next year.

The show is a great place to see samples of all kinds of animals, then ooh and ahh over them, and decide you have to have one.

If you're a seller, don't feel disappointed that you didn't move a lot of animals. Focus on making that connection with the people that come to look at your table, and encourage their interest. Find out something about the buyer too.

How did they find out about the show? Do they have any other reptiles? Or hang out on any community sites?

If they're new, or don't know about this site, put the address on the back of your card, along with your username. Bring them into the community. When the time is right for them to purchase, chances are they'll remember you. And they'll also be better educated in the care of their animals

Now if only I could win the lottery this week and make some of you very happy
I definitely agree with this.
For somewhat of a reason the Canadian shows just doesn't go that well. Compared to the shows in the States we're SLOW.

I don't even expect to get any sales at shows now. What I expect is to get my business cards out and talk to people and answer anything (as long as I know the answer...LOL)

Just give people the impression of good customer service and your knowledge. I too have times when I don't want to answer people or just say 'hi, is there anything that I can help you with'. But this is because I have been sitting at the show for a couple of hours and no buying. But after a while, I get back on my track and start talking to potential buyers or even just the people that passes by.

If I had someone with me at the show that knows my animals, then I would be walking around once in a while to talk to everyone but obviously I don't have anyone there~~

So right now all I want to do is to get my name out from shows and hope to get the words out, plus hope to get some customers that is willing to get animals off me later on.
Old 06-15-04, 09:11 AM   #53 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ChristinaM
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon

If I had someone with me at the show that knows my animals, then I would be walking around once in a while to talk to everyone but obviously I don't have anyone there~~

So right now all I want to do is to get my name out from shows and hope to get the words out, plus hope to get some customers that is willing to get animals off me later on.
Sept show, I'll let ya mingle all ya want You're a good man, and go the distance for your customers. Definately have my thumbs up. Hopefully the Sept show will be kick butt
Old 06-15-04, 09:21 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaM
Sept show, I'll let ya mingle all ya want You're a good man, and go the distance for your customers. Definately have my thumbs up. Hopefully the Sept show will be kick butt
Thanks~!!

Yeah I definitely need someone to help out...
My brother was there but he was just there for me...he didn't know my pricing and nothing about my corns...

I bet that the sept show is better cause it's always better~~
Old 06-15-04, 09:41 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
I would have talked to you Marisa, ....wink wink.... How you doin'....

LMFAO!!!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-15-04, 09:47 AM   #56 (permalink)

I bought 4 mint terribilis dart frogs. They are great! I have to thank Mark Pepper who took time to answer all my questions and just talk about other related dart frog issues.

At the spring show I bought 3 frogs from another vendor, but ended up getting advice from Mark at the show and later through email. Well, needless to say I bought off Mark this time for three reasons 1. He has always been friendly and helpful 2. He has a great reputation 3. He had the frogs I wanted for the price I wanted.
If anybody seen the vivarium Mark had set up with 2 azureus in it, I think that was the most stunning feature of the show....well minus my new frogs. lol
Old 06-15-04, 10:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

Dart frogs RULE! Post some pics!!!
Old 06-15-04, 11:11 AM   #58 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Drew S
I like to think that my display looks better with each show.

I had a table cloth this time, but it was only big enough for one table, I didn't know we'd be getting an extra half table, so next time I'll know to bring two :P

The only thing I forgot were the "Not For Sale" tags for my display animals. I got there at 7am and it took me almost the full two hours to set up the tanks naturally. I must have had 20 offers on my jacksons pair, and 30 on my frilled dragon, so I agree, the displays help you sell.

And of course, after spending a solid 30mins decorating my scrub (moluccan) python display, he decided to spend the entire day burried under the substrate. Arboreal snake my a$$!
Old 06-15-04, 02:28 PM   #59 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to meow_mix450
if you think about it the reptile show has come a long way, each year more and more people seem to be getting into the herp world. Since i joined it has only gotten better. First show i went to was around 3rd street, and it was great, a little small, and a bit crowded in the reptile room, but it was great. Now that they have moved to a bigger and better location its just been great, every year its jsut getting bigger and bigger. I can understand that the US have much more sucess, Canada is slowly catching up,

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 06-15-04, 02:48 PM   #60 (permalink)

Wow, that's crazee stuff guys.

I have sold out at every show I have sold stuff at, and have spent just about every dollar I earned at the same show!

Course, I don't have a lot of stuff to sell, and I'm easy to please. I like colubrids, so I buy colubridy stuff, sure it's not high priced, but I'm buying multiples, plus I make it a plan to not leave a show without SOMETHING.
Closed Thread