border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-04, 02:21 PM   #61 (permalink)

Art, i dont see what is so hard to understand, those "responsible" people who get their cats neutered and all their shots are not responsible their stupid. They may not pose a threat to other people, Its the native wildlife they devistate, Its not rocket science keep your cat inside or dont get a friggen cat! A bullet to the cats head is just as humane as being euthanized at the vet. Poison is a cheep effective way to eliminate a pest problem.
Old 07-17-04, 07:09 PM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Artemis
I dont care if its just as humane, im not that much of a dead eye myself, not to mention if you put a bullet in the head of someones pet, whether its presence is a nuisance or not, then you could be in big trouble. I personally wouldnt shoot an animal unless it was attacking me and I felt I had no other choice.

I agree with you to an extent, and my cats are strictly indoors, for their OWN safety. Cats are creatures who inhabit this earth the same as you and I do, and if they mess up your flower beds and crap in your driveway, that still isnt a license to blow them away. Call me nuts but I believe my cats have souls. They know when Im having a bad day, and they are smart as hell. My 25 pound neutered male can actually turn doorknobs and open doors.

I still say a spay/netuer and re-release, or better still taking them to shelters and pounds if you have them in your area, is a much better route to go than a .22

Poison is a CRUEL HEARTLESS way to eliminate a cat. These arent mosquitos here. And animals SUFFER when poisoned. Period. You make something suffer willingly, and your karma will come back to getcha.

and im done arguing about this. It appears that despite the opportunity to make a postive difference without being cruel, people arent willing to take that much time away from their decadent and selfish "dominant species" lives to take an active roll in humane and effective solutions. A pity. Hopefully by the time my kids have grandkids, cats wont be on the endangered species list, but with attitudes like that floating around, it wouldnt surprise me.

no hard feelings concept. I just dont think people have a right to run around killing things. Its the hippie pagan in me.

Art
Old 07-17-04, 08:13 PM   #63 (permalink)

Here we don't have a program like you do either Art. Spaying or neutering is expensive. The fact that you can catch the feral cats in your neighborhood is impressive most run at the site of a person and personally I have better things to spend money on than live traps for other peoples pets that they obviously don't care about. We also have bylaws here that insist that your pet cat must be licenced which none of the ones running around here are so technically they aren't pets but wildlife. Also attempting to catch a wild cat who decides to bite is dangerous as cat bites are a serious problem, they get infected fast and can actually lead to amputation.

"A cat bite (Figure 33) is one of the worst infections I see, besides a human bite. If you get one, please get treatment as soon as possible. You will need antibiotics, possibly surgery. Recovery can be prolonged. Don't mess with this!"

http://www.handfixer.com/images/hand...at-bite_la.jpg

These are legal animals but this is what can happen from a little bite. Children inherently want to go pet kitties, they are common pets with most households having them but they are also dangerous not only to other animals but to humans who try to catch them.
Old 07-17-04, 09:09 PM   #64 (permalink)

When I was living in Missouri I we shot every cat we saw. Funny there were always more, probably 10 for everyone that was shot. I believe 100% that cats are increasingly destructive to several species of birds and rabbits, virtually any small game. Cats are almost perfect hunters and most survive where other animals might not. Cats kept as mousers are just as likely to breed like crazy and start killing everything but mice.

What constitues cruel and where does conservation of other species come in? Poison is unnecessarily cruel but so is shooting if you suck at it. Why is it any more humane to have the pound kill them as to put a bullet in their heads? Have your chickens or rabbits killed when you've been paying to feed them for a while and it's a little easier to do.
Old 07-17-04, 10:33 PM   #65 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Dozer
How you get rid of a mouse? Poison it.
How ya get rid of a cat? Poison it.

Western culture sees cats as house pets, most people have them as companions, some places, pests.

Life aint always the way you want it to be.

Simply put.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-04, 12:28 AM   #66 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Artemis
I dont care. Its just not right to shoot something like that, on sight. And even shooting it is still more humane than poison, that just sickens me, and the shooting humanely only works if you are a really good shot, and are using the right caliber of pistol.

It amazes me how people can have so much love and dedication to one species and not another, and how perceptions vary so wildly among society in general about what kind of animals are a "pest" or a "menace. " I would think dogs kill far more children a year than cats- but I would like to see the stir if there was a thread about poisioning dogs.

For all you shooters and poisoners, pray reincarnation is merely an archaic dogma.

anyways- i love cats- and I think they deserve respect. Most herpers on this board love their reptiles, and feel they deserve respect, and are not a menace, but I feel about this just like many of you feel about people who run out in the backyard with a garden hoe to whack off the head of that snake in their yard.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again- Its all about perspective.

I really am done arguing now. No one cares what I say anyways, its not sinking in, so im not stopping any poisoners or shooters, and helping them understand what they are doing- its like reasoning with leatherface and the Sawyer clan.

Karma is real

Art

Last edited by Artemis; 07-18-04 at 12:32 AM..
Old 07-18-04, 07:05 PM   #67 (permalink)

its not about favoring a pet, i lvoe all animals, but i do realize that you cannot stop somethin' like this...

We keep reptiles as pets, whereas my mother would have no problem slicing a snake in half. I'm sure, if I was brought up in Texas, for example, I would have no problem blowin' a snakes head off or dumpin' thousands of rattlers into a pit and settin' fire to it. Dependin' on how you were raised, you have a different view. I love all animals, but then again I know life aint fair. A rattler here in Toronto is seen as a charm, in Texas, a pest. Fact is, its unstoppable. Not everyone is the same so lets face it, its unforetunate, but **** happens.

Ignorance will never be stopped.

Mike
Old 07-18-04, 07:05 PM   #68 (permalink)

its not about favoring a pet, i lvoe all animals, but i do realize that you cannot stop somethin' like this...

We keep reptiles as pets, whereas my mother would have no problem slicing a snake in half. I'm sure, if I was brought up in Texas, for example, I would have no problem blowin' a snakes head off or dumpin' thousands of rattlers into a pit and settin' fire to it. Dependin' on how you were raised, you have a different view. I love all animals, but then again I know life aint fair. A rattler here in Toronto is seen as a charm, in Texas, a pest. Fact is, its unstoppable. Not everyone is the same so lets face it, its unforetunate, but **** happens.

Ignorance will never be stopped.

Mike
Old 07-18-04, 09:05 PM   #69 (permalink)

I never take any joy in taking a life unless I'm in a tree stand with my bow. I hate running over animals also and avoid it whenever I have the option.

I 've got a question...Is it better to let them multiply as fast as they can or do we protect native species in our little corner of the world. Hard to find Quail in MO. with all of the cats, where do they cross the line from kittys to pests?

I don't mean any harm just stating my opinion. I respect the fact that some of you have the patience to deal with ferrel cats.

Anyway,
Take care,
Closed Thread