sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion


Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-04, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Jun-2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Age: 34
Posts: 72
Send a message via AIM to mettle
Crossing the border!

Has anyone gone across the Canadian/USA border with herps they bought or had sent to an address on the other side? And if so, how did that go for you? What type of penalties or fines does one face for doing something like this?

Just curious.


mettle is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 06-08-04, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb-2002
Location: Ontario
Age: 38
Posts: 1,659
as long as they are not CITES animals you will have no problem.
all you will have to pay is the duty tax coming will be $22 candian for every $100 US you bring back
Matt Rudisi
~Reptiles Canada~
Matt is offline  
Old 06-08-04, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Classic's Avatar
Join Date: Feb-2003
Location: East of Ottawa
Age: 45
Posts: 900
Send a message via MSN to Classic
When i've come accross, all they wanted to know was what clothing I have purchased and didn't want to see my snakes. It is no big deal. I go in a question the customs officers about the rules and regulations, they really don't even want to dig out the books to try to figure out what is allowed and what isn't. But i've only brought over small colubrids. I have not tried anything that needed CITIES.


Got Milks!

Last edited by Classic; 06-08-04 at 06:55 AM..
Classic is offline  
Old 06-09-04, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar-2003
Location: Orillia, ON
Age: 47
Posts: 460
And once again, I'll say that the responses you get vary from location to location. Canadian customs has very little to do with it, other than collecting the GST, and possibly PST depending on your province. However, it is US law that says all wildlife (yes, this includes CB herps) leaving the US must be inspected by USFWS. If you leave the US without doing this, you've broken US law, and under WAPRIITA, you've also then broken Canadian law.

Now this doesn't mean someone will show up at your door the next day. But you have broken the law, and it certainly could come back to haunt you.

So, to do it legally, contact USFWS at the border crossing nearest you that will do inspections. Not all of them do. Some offices will inspect you without a fee if you only have a couple of things for personal use. Others will follow the official rule that you must buy an import/export license for $50 (good for one year) and pay $55 for an inspection. All of this still assumes no CITES listed stuff.

Oh yeah, Canadian laws make it very tough to import turtles. But that's a whole separate issue.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!
Jeff Hathaway is offline  
Old 06-09-04, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Join Date: Jun-2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Age: 34
Posts: 72
Send a message via AIM to mettle
Thanks for the info.

I was just curious as I know some people on the US side who have some pretty amazing snakes and I'm not too far from the US border. So yeah. It was an idea.

Thanks again.

mettle is offline  
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0