border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-02, 07:52 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
Ha ha...

Victoria is God's country, just don't tell anyone 'cause then all the redneck prairie folk and latte-sippin' Hogtown-people will invade and this place will cease to exist as I know it.

You want snakes? Wait until you move to Victoria and we'll hook you up real nice. No probs there!
Old 09-28-02, 11:33 AM   #32 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Clownfishie Send a message via MSN to Clownfishie
LOL Jeff Ooooo... I just noticed that you live on the island too -- awesome! At least I'll know one fellow herp addict within driving distance And one with connections too.... *grin*.

Snake -- no, those didn't work either... This time, when I tried copying and pasting the link, I got this message: "Session invalid.
This message occurs because you have either previously logged out or your session has automatically timed out."
If you get a chance, you could upload the pictures to the gallery, and you'll be able to post them from there....

Hmmm... the list just keeps growing -- and changing I really do like the ball pythons -- maybe I'll just have to get over my "girth" issues... hehe The Irian Jayas are definitely nice too, and they stay a little skinnier. The spotted pythons look pretty cool, and they're a good size -- not too big at all For looks, the Brazilian Rainbow Boa is probably my favourite -- but doesn't make a great beginner snake from what I've been reading. Some of the other boas are very nice too -- but I think that most of them get too big for me. The surinam redtailed boa is really nice... Someone mentioned the rosy boas, but I don't really like the striped look so much -- is there any other boas in the same size range that have a different look to them?
I also had a look at a mandarin rat snake last night -- that was very cool looking I seem to remember someone making a comment that they were expensive though?

Anyhow -- enough rambling I guess
Jen

Gecko Haven
Old 09-28-02, 03:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurzix Send a message via AIM to Kurzix Send a message via Yahoo to Kurzix
Jen

Look at the brazilian rainbows, they stay about the same length as the other snakes mentioned 5-7 feet, are absolutely GORGEOUS, and every one i have seen was very tame, and don;t let the high humidity scare you, its VERY easy to keep the high humidity these guys need. oh and at their full grown size, they'll still only weight about 10 lbs. Slender body boas gotta love em.

Jay
Ball Python: 0.0.1
Old 09-28-02, 04:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Hey Kurzix,

Yeah, I really like the rainbows actually, for looks they've got to be by far my favourite that I've seen so far -- I think that they maybe get a bit long for me... but on the other hand, the fact that they don't have a big girth kinda makes the length ok I guess.
I heard that the humidity has to be at about 80%? How do you keep it that high?
I wish that there was a dwarf brazilian rainbow boa -- hehe Everyone seems to want to work towards BIGGER snakes though, not smaller ones... ah well ... just my luck! 10 lbs eh -- that's about the same weight as one of my cats. Hmmm...

I just put in holds for like every single snake book that the library has, LOL... so we'll see what kind of information I can find in there It's mostly the pictures that I'm interested in though, I find that most books that are out there are either updated, or a lot of the information is just blatantly wrong...

Jen

Gecko Haven
Old 09-28-02, 05:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to snakekeeper

Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-02, 08:10 PM   #36 (permalink)

there ya go! that worked... Nice snakes!

Ewwww, icky on the gobbling down food thing though *grins*... that's the one part of snake ownership that I'm not sure I'll be able to get used to... Maybe I'll just have to not watch

Gecko Haven
Old 09-28-02, 09:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Look into rosy and sand boas! They stay small and can be quite colorful, as well as tame...
Old 09-29-02, 09:55 AM   #38 (permalink)

Yeah, I saw someone mention sand boas... I haven't really seen those on any of the breeders sites though I don't think...
Are they available in Canada? Pictures anywhere?

The rosy boas are a good size, but I don't like their pattern....

Gecko Haven
Old 09-29-02, 11:42 AM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Lots of people breed them! Usually a few vendors will have them at a show. I just got a really really nice male at the TARAS show.
They're inexpensive as well, averaging $60 each at the shows.
I found this picture for you:
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/4811Isis1.jpg
Old 09-29-02, 01:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Thanks Youkai

Congrats on the new addition -- how was the show? Since I'm going to be moving to Victoria next month, I'm thinking of trying to make it to the spring TARAS show... it sounds awesome It'd be an experience though... have to find somewhere to stay. Don't know if I'd drive/train/plane it, but I'm sure I could figure something out... I think it would be worth going, at least once... I'm definitely going to miss the herp expos out here *sigh*....

The sand boas are definitely a good size, and they have nice looking colour -- but I don't know if I like the head shape -- I think I like snakes with more defined heads...

Thanks for the info

Gecko Haven
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-02, 03:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

The show was great! Met up with a few people I know and had some fun chatting, and looking around was great. I would suggest though, if you're moving to Victoria, to wait for the fall show. Unless you can make it to both. The fall shows tend to offer a lot more in terms of animals.

I know what you mean about the head shape. I'm the same way...but unfortunately the ones I want are out of my price range with tuition being an issue now. (Anthill pythons). But after seeing a few, and handling a few...I pretty much couldn't help it! I think it's worth a shot. Males especially stay small...and they're quite inexpensive. Maybe see if you can find some locally to have a good look at...

I mean, I'm a lizard person. And slowly these snakes are growing on me...(rather like Star Trek (any of them) which my brother and dad would watch all day every day if they could.)
Old 09-29-02, 06:30 PM   #42 (permalink)

Glad to hear it was great Maybe I will wait till the fall show to go -- I probably won't be in a hurry, I doubt that I'll be buying anything (I have no idea where I'm going to put everything as it is when I get out there!)... more just for the experience. Ok, I should just admit it -- I probably WILL come home with something *laughs*. I don't think that I've ever gone to a show and NOT come home with something... and I'm sure it'll be even harder to resist after taking such a long trip to get there

Yeah -- I think that all the snakes that I like are $150-250... plus I'll probably end up having to pay shipping. But... we'll see
I'm a lizard person too... I always said that if there was one thing that you didn't have to worry about me bringing home, it was a snake ... well, that, or a tarantula *shudders* And now look what's happened... I blame it all on Ssnakess.com!! You've corrupted me... hehe... And since it's all your fault, I think that you should pay for my new snake *grin*...
What? *innocent look*... I think it's a good plan!

Ooo... I like the Anthill Pythons too... I think I saw some on Henry Piorun's site... they looked cool Far out of my price range though... $1500 each I think. Ouches...

I think -- unless something else comes up that I like -- I'll probably get either a ball python, a brazilian rainbow boa, or an irian jaya carpet python. I don't know, maybe the colubrids will grow on me a little more... I'm waiting for those books from the library to come so I can bring all 23 of them home and read through them... hehe God help anybody else who wants to borrow books on snakes right now, cuz I think I stole all of them

Jen

Gecko Haven
Old 09-29-02, 06:51 PM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

Just wait until you get out here then and you won't have to pay any shipping. Balls, Carpets, Milks, Rainbows etc etc etc.... Easy to get those here. There's like 5 of us breeding all those plus more!!
Old 09-29-02, 07:18 PM   #44 (permalink)

Most excellent!! Glad to hear it... It lets me spend a little extra on getting what I want instead of having to worry about spending a little less so I can afford the shipping

I'm definitely waiting until I get out there, no worries about that. And until I get my own place, there's no way in hell that my parents would let me keep a snake in their house So it might even be the new year before I can do anything... we'll see how things go though... And I'll have to save up my pennies too -- the move is pretty much draining all my funds. (*with an innocent look, thinking "nevermind the fact that I'm about to spend $650 on another gecko"*)... hehe...

Just out of curiosity... what do you think that your favourite snake to work with is? Sounds like you work with several different species, so I was wondering which one you liked the best

Gecko Haven
Old 09-29-02, 10:11 PM   #45 (permalink)

Well, Ball Pythons are frusterating because of the whole eating thing and sometimes females simply don't want to breed. But when they do lay eggs, they are soooo huge and easy to hatch. BRB's are a cinch to breed and the adults are the coolest snakes on the planet. Carpets are a whole different snake altogether!! They are soooo smart, deliberate with their actions, and their eyesight seems to be miles ahead of other snakes. Tough to say. I'd say Rainbows, followed by a tie with Balls and Carpets.
Closed Thread