sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion


Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-04, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct-2003
Location: Oshawa Ontario Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 527
Send a message via MSN to Darren179

can somebody explain to me how exactly they work and how to get them and what is said on the paper I have heard bits here and there but ive never been quite clear. I know they are to proven endangered species are captive bread but thats it
if there was a beggining of time. What was before it?

Last edited by Darren179; 04-03-04 at 11:04 AM..
Darren179 is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 04-03-04, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
SaIiLdVaEnR's Avatar
Join Date: Jan-2004
Location: Toronto, On.
Age: 31
Posts: 677
Send a message via MSN to SaIiLdVaEnR
I'm guessing you mean CITES not cities.

Q. What's brown and sticky? A. A stick!
SaIiLdVaEnR is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct-2003
Location: Oshawa Ontario Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 527
Send a message via MSN to Darren179
ya sorry typo
if there was a beggining of time. What was before it?
Darren179 is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar-2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Age: 58
Posts: 1,485
where do you live and what species are you referring to? Is your intent to import or export?
All Boids(pythons and boas), monitors, Day Geckos,Iguanas, Crocodilians and Torts
are a miniumum of Appendix two.
Appendix 2 animals require an export permit from the country of origin for legal export.
Appendix 1 animals (Dumerils boas, Jamaican boas etc) require two permits for international trade.
A permit from both the country of export and one from the government of the importing country, authorizing the import.

Here's my previously posted general info page.

Everybody please save this for future reference.

For Americans shipping out/receiving into the USA:
All animals leaving or entering the USA must be inspected by US fish & wildlife
This is generally done at what is known as a designated port.
If you are not located at a designated port you must contact your
local branch of F &W and arrange an inspection.
At this point a document called a 3-177 will be
completed. It is a declaration of import/export of wildlife.
This must be done with all animals regardless of whether they
are listed under the Washington Convention (CITES)
It is also possible and fairly common to have animals shipped first to a designated
port for inspection and clearance, before heading on to the consignee. This is done
when the shipper or recipient in the US is not near a designated port.. It can however, sometimes
get complicated and expensive because a broker can
be required to transfer the shipment and arrange for fish&wildlife inspection.
This is especially true if different air carriers are involved since Airlines are not obliged to move your cargo, especially into the hands of a competitive Airline. So if you need to hire a broker this can mean that
your animals are being put into the hands of a middle man who might
very well hate herps(or love them and steal your shipment). It's a bit scary to have someone opening your
animals in the middle of their journey to your customer.

If the animals are CITES listed and are Appendix 2 you need to apply
To the US department of the interior/F&W for a CITES
export permit. This must then be stamped by a wildlife
agent at the time of the inspection otherwise the permit
is not valid...
You will also now need (since I think bout 97) a US fish and wildlife
IMPORT EXPORT license... you need to apply for it.
It is $50.00 and is good for only one year. If you are not
getting your inspection at a Designated port you may also
be required to apply for what's called an "Exception from Designated Port"permit
It's about $25US bucks and is good for 2 years.

For Canadians taking animals into or out of the USA
If you are taking animals across the border in a car, you need to apply for and obtain this US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... and yes
also the exception from designated port permit if you have more than just a few animals.
You must phone US F&W in advance and arrange for an inspection 48 hrs before you cross. An agent will be dispatched to the crossing of your choice(Niagara in Ont.). You will be charged for the inspection..$55US standard, more if its CITES or outside of business hours. A 3-177 declaration will need to be completed at the time of the inspectionů I recommend pre ordering this form from US F&W and filling them out ahead of time. It makes the wildlife agents happy and you are more likely to know the Scientific names, which must be shown on the declaration.
It's also helpful to take a book with pictures to help verify the species.
If you are taking a lot of stuff into the US for personal delivery
or to fly out of an American airport it may be considered a commercial shipment
and this will also require a Customs Broker...I use PBB. (Peace Bridge Brokers)
Also, if you are taking CITES listed animals out of Canada you must first apply for and obtain a Canadian CITES Export permit. You will be required to prove legal origin to be granted this permit.
Before crossing the border, you must first stop on the Canadian side and get Customs to validate it, otherwise it is not a legal CITES permit.
Hope this all helps
Uncle Roy
Herpetology - more than a hobby
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding
Stockwell is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0