border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-04, 10:03 AM   #31 (permalink)

I agree with that Mary had to say. My husband made sure I was ok with him getting the iguanas, before he actually got them. We have always made those type of decisions together. I think its only fair as both of you live in the home, both should agree on the animals in the home. Unfortunately my husband has also made it very clear that he is dead set against snakes in the house. I would love a corn snake but his mother is deathly afraid of them, basically if there is one in the house, she will not visit nor babysit for us. Puts me in a difficult position because I know he likes snakes, he handles the one at my store all the time, but he just won't give in because of his mom's phobia.
Old 03-20-04, 10:35 AM   #32 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Yness
Okay its time for my two cents...

I think that as a married couple you should consider what your husband said because of the partnership that marraige is.

That being said, my father who was afraid of snakes came for a visit. He knew full well that I have snakes and he spent the first day not going near them. Then one day he walked out of the bathroom to find my 11 year old step brother handling one of my king snakes! Well the "man" in him took over and before he left his "fear" of snakes was gone.

I can't say that the same thing would happen with your husband as I really don't know what he is like, but taking him to pet stores or even if you can get him to a herp show seem like a viable option. Expose him to how harmless these snakes are.

Also buy a book or sign one out from the library if you can. Read it and ask him to read it. Education is the key! Maybe you can do more than get him to "allow" you to have a snake....maybe you can share this as a hobby!

Yness

A "Choose Your Own Adventure" Hamlet would be nice; To be, turn to page 73.
Old 03-20-04, 10:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Sunrunner Send a message via Yahoo to Sunrunner
I agree with Mary as well in all seriousness, I don't agree however that your husband will not even discuss it with you, it should work both ways.
My father in law is from Africa as well and he doesnt mind our snakes he just can't understand why I would pay for them and keep them in my house, they pay alot of money there to get the out of the house.
What part of Africa is he from?
Kim

~Kim~
Old 03-20-04, 11:03 AM   #34 (permalink)

i am still laughing over all this monkey talk..lmao.. get the snake.
Old 03-20-04, 03:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
What would be a good reason for not wanting a snake in the house????? The only reason I can think of is an unnatural fear of them....... A fear can be gotten over...... A love for animals and snakes is something that is with you for ever........ Your husband should be more understanding an let you do what you want and get over what ever hang up he has about snakes...... I wont even look at a girl if she did not like reptiles or aleast repected what I do..... I will not give up my hobby for anyone...... I make that very clear from the begining....... I take my dates to the zoo....... The ones that say "yuck" in the reptile house never get a second date....
Old 03-20-04, 04:04 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to retic
let him get something that he wants (sports car, big screen tv) you know, bribrary works
Old 03-20-04, 04:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to KingFfaj
Quote:
Originally posted by C.m.pyrrhus
Well, by all means, if he is allowed to have a monkey..then you have the right to have a snake! And what would a monkey need to be greased for? And what is a tube of Kentucky? I must be lost............
you greace the monkey so it does odd jobs for you. like opening jam jars derr?

Last edited by KingFfaj; 03-20-04 at 04:26 PM..
Old 03-21-04, 02:29 PM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to nickykci
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunrunner
I agree with Mary as well in all seriousness, I don't agree however that your husband will not even discuss it with you, it should work both ways.
My father in law is from Africa as well and he doesnt mind our snakes he just can't understand why I would pay for them and keep them in my house, they pay alot of money there to get the out of the house.
What part of Africa is he from?
Kim
He is from Togo :-)
The problem with my husband is that when i try to talk about getting a snake, all he sais is NO, he dosent give his reasons, just no, and never wants to talk about it, it pisses me off, i'd like to at lease get a reason. I want to bring him in a pet shop and show him a corn, but i never saw a corn snake here in our pet shops... i know some ppl that have some, but they are a long drive away...
I know this is serious, we are married, and he lives with me, so even though i will do everything the snake needs, clean it, feed it... he will still see the snake. And i don't want to get one, and have to give it away! then again I am not a child, and I should be able to make that decision myself.... so as everyone can see, I am really confused!!!
Old 03-21-04, 05:26 PM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to meow_mix450
he doesnt have to know, hide it, untill he finds out, when he does say i couldnt stop my self, or someone got you a gift, and so on....
good luck lol

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 03-21-04, 05:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

I thought perhaps I would stand up for your husband, since pretty much everyone who has answered your post loves snakes and can't comprehend why people don't want snakes in their house. I do not like snakes. If my boyfriend brought one home, knowing full well how I feel I would be offended. I could not live comfortably knowing there was a snake nearby that might get out of its cage and pop up out of nowhere when I least expect it. The thought makes me shiver. I think it would be disrespectful of Jason to put me in that position.
I understand also what it's like to want something, and its worth working at, but I don't think when you are commited to someone that you should make big decisions like that without consent.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-21-04, 07:39 PM   #41 (permalink)

wouldnt that be a fear, i beleive she said she said that her husband hates them not scared correct me if im wrong lol. But yes i can see what you mean, thats why i cant have anyone my mom wont let me, cause she doesnt want it to get loose....

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 03-21-04, 08:32 PM   #42 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
Tell him that if he won't give you a reason besides "no i hate snakes" then say fine, if your not going to give me a reason, then i'm just going to get one.

I agree that it should be something that is discussed. But I really don't see a corn snake as this huge purchase, unless you are getting an expensive morph.

They are pretty cheap to house (rubbermaid), substrate is cheap/free, and toilet paper tubes can be used as hides! all this under 20$
The most expensive thing would be the UTH (assuming you don't have one) and the food, over the years, and the snake it'self (anywhere from $20 and up)

Put the snake in a room that has a door, put a rubber stopper on the bottom of the door, and make sure no spaces are there so a baby corn can't get out. That way if it does get out, it will stay in the room. (providing there are no holes out anywhere else).

Mischief~ Hamster

Last edited by sapphire_moon; 03-21-04 at 08:36 PM..
Old 03-21-04, 09:50 PM   #43 (permalink)

what about heat vents???

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 03-21-04, 10:36 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Bighead
I lost one in a heat vent when I was little. Unfortunately, I found it there a few weeks later and it didn't smell very nice.
Old 03-22-04, 12:41 AM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ChristinaM
Quote:
Originally posted by nickykci

The problem with my husband is that when i try to talk about getting a snake, all he sais is NO, he dosent give his reasons, just no, and never wants to talk about it, it pisses me off, i'd like to at lease get a reason. I want to bring him in a pet shop and show him a corn, but i never saw a corn snake here in our pet shops... i know some ppl that have some, but they are a long drive away...
I know this is serious, we are married, and he lives with me, so even though i will do everything the snake needs, clean it, feed it... he will still see the snake. And i don't want to get one, and have to give it away! then again I am not a child, and I should be able to make that decision myself.... so as everyone can see, I am really confused!!!
You are right, you are married, blah blah blah. But he needs to give his reasoning for not wanting one in the house. And if it's a good reason, then its something you both need to talk and hash out. But, and I would tell him this, "NO" is not an acceptable reason, be upfront with him and put your foot down so to speak. Either he tells you the reason or you go and get it. Then if he has a good reason, hoperfully he will tell you.

I've gone through, and continue to go through this with my half. I respect his opinions, and his only reason is " I feel overrun by reptiles and fish". That is not a good enough reason for me, considerring, he has absolutely NOTHING to do with them. Yes there's critters in most rooms in the house, but.....it looks good.

Wow, I'm getting OT ( onto me LOL ).

But there's my opinion, take it for what its worth
Closed Thread