border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-04, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sea monkeys

My little brother got some for x-mas and they of course died. But he is REALLY upset about it. How long are they supposed to live?? I know they are just brine shrimp, but I have no idea how long they should live.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-13-04, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

heres an article on brine shrimp http://risg.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/931brine.html

we got sea monkeys in school once and they lasted 2 months but we but a small air stone in thier plastic cell
Old 01-13-04, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Neat article. I was trying to find a thread from forever ago about not these but something like it. They are from like creatasous (sp?) period. I can't remember who started it and am having trouble finding it. Anyway I just want the name of these thing, so I can look for them too (I have 2 little bros thought it would be neat for each to have something different).
Old 01-13-04, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

they key is to try and grow a bit of algae then add it to the brine shrimp culture. thats what they eat and itll prob help them last a bit longer. also the salt content is important.

later
Old 01-13-04, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Genius

The life span for those things are about 15 mins. At least the ones I owned over 25 years ago.:grumps:
Old 01-13-04, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
If you keep their water fairly decent and feed them well, and you're lucky enough to get a male and a female, they will breed and have TONS of babies! Then the babies will grow up and have more babies, and you'll have them for a long time. Good luck with them.

I had triops once when I was little, and IMO they were much neater than the sea monkeys. They get pretty big (around an inch or so) and are quite neat to watch. The only thing is that they are cannabalistic, so they'll eat each other until the biggest one is left! Very neat little guys.

-TammyR
Old 01-13-04, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

TRIOPS! I couldn't remember. It's been bugging me all night! I actually bought them for my nieces two X-mases ago. They really enjoyed them. Yay, I will sleep tonight!
Old 01-14-04, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Lol! Glad I could help!

-TammyR
Old 01-14-04, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

i put soem eggs ina jar that i keep bamboo in and they just live in there. kinda cool.
Old 02-22-04, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Auskan
My daughter got some sea monkeys for Christmas too, and we've had great success. The biggest ones you can see from across the room and they seem to be breeding because there are always some tiny ones in there too. My question is - the water level is ever so slowly dropping, but I'm not sure its safe to add tap water? To get them started we had to add a sachet of some kind of powder to water and let it sit for 24 hours, before we could add the sea monkey eggs. So that would tell me that straight tap water is not appropriate, but as they didn't provide any more of that powder in the kit we got, I'm not sure if it would be ok to add an ounce or a half-ounce of water at a time until the water level is back up again? TIA
0.1 Ball Python, 0.1 Creamsicle Cornsnakes, 1.0 Amelanistic Cornsnake, 1.0 Ghost Cornsnake, 1.0 Motel Amelanistic Cornsnake, 1.0 Okeetee Cornsnake, 0.1 Striped Amelanistic Cornsnake, 0.1 Silver Phase Miami Cornsnake, 0.1 Sunglow Cornsnake
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread