border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-03, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to skinheaddave
Quote:
Originally posted by BoidKeeper
Don't ya just hate it when one group of people thinks they are better than another group. How ironic that you should raise this kinda of complaint given the nature or your log in name and avtar pic.
Trevor
Don't you hate it when people open their mouths when they are ignorant? Read this for starters. It isn't exhaustive, but it covers a lot of the basics. Afterwards you can tell me if you still see the irony.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-20-03, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Quote:
Not about herps but I don't see this problem in the invertebrate hobby.
Bang on! Nail on the head! I was just telling Katt last night how different the invert folk are. No uppity snobbish attitude with them. Newbies are treated well and educated not shot down.

Plus, I agree with every word of Roy's. One of those things me and Katt talk about all the time before going to bed. How sad this "hobby" has become. Oh well, at least there are still true herpers out there, by the looks of it. That's all we need to keep it going.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Old 12-20-03, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Very interesting. If that's what you believe than I stand corrected and owe you an oppology.
Trevor
Old 12-21-03, 02:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Trevor,

It is -- appology accepted. And now, back to your regularily scheduled program ....

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-21-03, 03:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

lol
I find myself sometime wondering about the experience level of people who keep things that are on Mirdos cheap list.
I'm also weary of people who don't care where they get their stuff as long as they get want they want.
For me it's not about have a herp it's about having the nicest one I can find/afford of a perticular species. Those people that buy anything from anyone make me nervouse.
As for common animals I would love to have a RES and an Iggy but they are just too much work to keep corectly so I don't bother with them. I certainly don't look down at people who keep either species correctly. Savs as well. I'd love one but they are more work than I'm willing to put into. They may be comon but that doesn't mean they are for beginers.
Cheers,
Trevor
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-03, 03:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragoon
"Bang on! Nail on the head! I was just telling Katt last night how different the invert folk are. No uppity snobbish attitude with them. Newbies are treated well and educated not shot down."

This has been my experience as well, and its really opening my eyes... the lack of aggression is taking some getting used too... my introduction to the internet has been via the monitor world... skinheaddave, you will understand what I'm getting at. Major bickering, lying and hostility.

I'm starting to enjoy the computer again, this is a new experience. I thank Tarcan for leading me to the arachnoboards...what a prince he is...
D.
Old 12-21-03, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

BTW, Look at my first avatar, everyone!

Much thanks to the generous Ms. Emily Fisher!!!
Yay!!
D.
Old 12-21-03, 04:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoon
skinheaddave, you will understand what I'm getting at. Major bickering, lying and hostility.
I know exaclty what you are talking about. I have run into more nastiness in the online monitor world than anywhere else. If it weren't for the fact that monitors are so amazing, I probably would have been completely turned off them by the attitudes of some people. That being said, I have also run into some truely wonderful people who are willing to share their experiences and listen to yours.

The invert world is definitely a lot better. There is some bickering among some of the top people, but they definitely keep it to themselves. There is, however, seemingly more of a willingness to help out newbies, as it were. Part of that, perhaps, is that there is so little that is actually known about inverts in general. I have seen people join arachnoboards with the standard "got my first scorpion" post and within six months they can easily deal with 95% of the questions that come up. With reptiles, it takes a lot longer to gain that sort of competence, because the bar is so much higher -- or maybe I don't have a clue and am just blabbering on about nonsense.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-21-03, 04:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you Dave, its a relief to know learning about my inverts isn't going to be such a struggle.
The monitors throw curveballs at me monthly. They are all the challenge I need in my pet keeping! Good luck with finding a female sav, we desperately need some healthy CB savs here.
D.
Old 12-21-03, 04:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I think attitude is also what you make of it.

If I come across someone who thinks they are "the shiz" and has this attitude problem, I normally fire back with absolutly no attitude of my own, or jokes. This usually causes the situation to fuzzle out and you end up talking to someone you might not have before.

I think on one hand its a problem, but on the other hand its like ANY profession....the people who have been in it for a long time have a hard time dealing with people who maybe are new. This may be wrong or right, but I am just saying its not exclusive to herps, its a part of life in general.

Merry Christmas everyone
Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-03, 05:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Neo

Send a message via AIM to Neo
i dont think that you can judge someone's experience by what animals they keep but you can judge how much money they have. for example if someone's keeping leos or corn snakes they're not neccessarily a novie they could have read up everything there is to know about a more challenging animal or even work with them in a zoo or something. They might just not have the money to get one for them selves.
Old 12-22-03, 12:28 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nolagurl
Are you guys talking about people online or people that you know in real life?

My local herp club is very laid back and there (seems to be) no competition. Online, however, it's easy for people to sit behind that screen and blow their own trumpet.
Old 12-22-03, 09:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

nolagurl,

When it comes to poor conclusions, both, really. The difference, I think, is that the conclusions people jump to that are wrong tend to be sorted out a lot quicker in person. I think that people get pegged online and then left there. Basically, I think people tend to form and hold grudges online.

That being said, I think there is often a soap opera going on in real life too, it is just kept under the surface.

Cheers,
Dave