border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-03, 12:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
northernsnake, I've seen some of your posts and trust me, you have nothing to worry about. You're one of the better spellers on this site.

Zoe
Old 12-15-03, 01:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

I use my dictionary it's jus't a soare subject for me. I try to spell proper.
Old 12-15-03, 01:16 AM   #33 (permalink)

I am going to add to this. My post was not meant to upset, tease or ridicule others that have no choice but to spell incorrectly. It was just meant as a bit of humor to lighten the situation. Sorry if there were any actual folks that got upset.....I actually have many folks in family that are dyslexic. I also know many folks with learning problems when it comes to language. So I know myself that some cannot help but to spell incorrectly. I as well do not totally care on the forums. This is not really a place that correct spelling is totally nessesary. As long as the point get across, all good.

On the other side..for those folks that do type out like this:
"I am lookin 4 a leo geck and wood b kewl to see,,,, ne 1 with one show or pics show me..thanx"

This does bug me. Also caps lock. It is very simple to type a few extra buttons in order to use words as they were meant. Just seems lazy not to type those extra buttons, ya know? Plus, the shift key lies right under the caps lock key......

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 12-15-03, 01:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

Well said C.m.pyrrhus!
Old 12-15-03, 12:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Zoe's example is no exageration. I've seen posts like that here. Not being a good speller doesn't mean you're stupid, but it does get in the way of getting the message accross. I know we have people here that english is a second, third or fourth language for them, and I don't feel they're stupid, often they try harder (and are easier to read) then the worst language manglers on the site.
Use a spell checker, you can get one for free that intergrates with Internet Explorer at http://www.iespell.com/ i don't know how many times that link has been posted.
My spelling and grammer isn't perfect, but at least I put in some effort. If it's not worth doing right it's not worth doing at all.

May you live in interesting times.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-15-03, 01:42 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Sunrunner Send a message via Yahoo to Sunrunner
Ok I have been here almost 2 yrs and I have seen some bad posts but never to that extent and please tell me why it is that we should have to please you all with our spelling anyways I am just cuious what is it your buisness anyway if we have proper grammer? If this was a professional buisness then yes I can see your point due to loss of buisness because of the lack of professionalism but this site is mostly filled with the avarage guy or gal comming on here posting some stuff about their herps.

~Kim~

Last edited by Sunrunner; 12-15-03 at 04:54 PM..
Old 12-15-03, 01:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to unknownclown
I have to agree with it being a bit hard to read things like "n e 1 got h8 4 me nOw?" To me its also laziness I mean how difficult is it to type in the extra letters?
Although I am guilty of making quite a few typos my fingers just dont type certain words corretly I mean I know how to spell "that" but for some reason my fingers arent quite that quardinated and I always type "taht". Ive been doin it for years now it seems so I know to go over my spelling and check for it. Although anyone who talks with me on IM knows I do it alot. Also I just broke a damned nail trying to catch my dog who decided to run away at the beach and now is a handicap with spelling since I'm so used to it bein there. And alot of times I forget to put the " ' " in words like "dont" or "Im." I just figure people know what I mean and it aint all that serious. If Im wrong let me know and Ill try to remember it.
One thing that some people here may not know or realize is that americans and canadians do spell some words differently like "favourite" I think thats how you spell it, here in the US we are taught to spell it "favorite." I can usually tell, when Im cruisin the web, if Ive come across a Canadian site just for the spelling differences.
Just a thought
Old 12-15-03, 03:07 PM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Slannesh
Personally, I find posts complaining about spelling and grammar that HAVE spelling and grammar mistakes to be very annoying.

Granted, I have seen a few posts from time to time that are hard to read, but it's really not all that big of a deal. I have yet to see one so badly mangled as the example Zoe posted that wasn't a joke. This isn't an english class, we all make mistakes. As I said above, it's in quite poor form to ridicule someone for things you do yourself. If *I* were going to crap on someone for spelling i'd make damned sure there were no errors in my post about it anyhow

To those who have trouble with spelling or english, keep trying. None of us are perfect, but I for one appreciate the effort some of you obviously put into making your posts as legible as possible.
To the lazy ones: Try to be more like the ones who have trouble, a little effort goes a long way.

And to all those who like to criticize people for spelling mistakes when posts are perfectly readable. Do me a favor and make sure you own posts don't make you a hypocrite. *rolls eyes*
Old 12-15-03, 03:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
I wasn't bashing anyone for their spelling mistakes. In fact, I'm sure I make them all the time.

But it is a fact that you represent yourself by the words you type. If a poster is constantly using poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar, it reflects poorly on them even if they are really very smart/nice people. It is just one of those things about communicating online.

I think, however, that the original poster in this thread was refering to things like 'netspeak'. And I have to agree, that it is the most irritating garbage to have to read through when people do it constantly or have whole posts in it. That is...replacing words with letters and numbers, misspelling on purpose, and using more abbreviations than actual phrases.
Old 12-15-03, 03:37 PM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
Poor grammar does annoy me immensely when I know the people just aren't trying, like using all CAPS, substituting to or too with 2, before with b4, forever with 4eva, etc.

I do understand that some individuals just cannot spell, my mother being one of them. She has a learning disability, and she does try her best. If I was to criticize her on her problem, I'm sure that she'd be very hurt.

I also understand when a person is trying their hardest to learn our language, and their sentences aren't exactly perfect. If I was to try and write a full sentence in French, you can gaurentee that it would be misspelt and in poor sentence form, because I'm not quite fluent in the language!

Nonetheless, my pet peeve is reading a post with the lack of knowledge of the difference between to and too, it's and its, their and there, etc.

And on a side note, for those on here that are popping a head vein over this thread, take a deep breath, maybe take up yoga or martial arts....
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens
Login to remove ads
Old 12-15-03, 03:41 PM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to daver676
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoe
Here as an example of what would irritate me:

"hi thre i hvea problme wit me bp he wont eat i dunt no what 2 do nemore iv etrid 4 4 weks but stil he jst lookz then goze away plz smbdy help me out o he livs in a 20glng hes on newsppr n he has a hidebo xand a waterdish plz help im rwally confuzed."
Whoa. Now I need a nap.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Old 12-15-03, 03:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to daver676
Quote:
Originally posted by northernsnake
I can spell ignorat I can spell prick do all people with disabilitys irritate you.
I can spell ignorant. I can spell prick. Do all people with disabilities irritate you?

No. Or are you another wanna-be smartass?

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Old 12-15-03, 04:24 PM   #43 (permalink)

Well, what I was more so leaning towards is carelessness and ignorance.. Obviously, people with learning disabilities can not help that, but examples given by some of you fine folks were what I meant. I don't like the short forms people use either... Take the time to write the full word if you're going to write anything at all.
Old 12-15-03, 04:27 PM   #44 (permalink)

Oh, and I agree 100% with whoever it was that said they would not buy an animal from someone who can't even spell the name of their animal...
Old 12-15-03, 04:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by daver676
I can spell ignorant. I can spell prick. Do all people with disabilities irritate you?

No. Or are you another wanna-be smartass?
what
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread