sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-03, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Originally posted by UpscaleBoas
are most people just giving them like 1/2 hour to eat/
really good point.

We feed all our snakes outside the enclosure, and we do this in "open containers" so we have to watch them. Wich mean we don't wait too long for the to eat.

We're presently thinking about building a small rack that will hold secured containers so we can leave the snakes and the dead rodent for the night. I'm sure this will do the trick, but it's one of the option we're thinking about.

Cornsnakes / JCP / Sinaloan Milk / BRB / Veiled / ATB / WLP / Crested Geckos / Uroplatus Henkeli / Vietnamese Cave gecko / Chinese Cave gecko *What's Available*
Old 12-08-03, 11:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
We give some overnight, others we move on if they don't strike.
Neo-Slither (Snake fanatic mailing list) http://<br />

May you live in interesting times.
Old 12-08-03, 07:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to ScreamingMisfit Send a message via MSN to ScreamingMisfit Send a message via Yahoo to ScreamingMisfit
I leave the pray item in the enclosure over night and I feed in the enclosure to wich they live , I refuse to handle or interact with them b4 feeding and until about 2 days after they have eaten.
Honestly, I have probably only thrown out about 40$ worth of feeders in the past 5 years (I never refreeze feeders).
Your snakes will eat you just have to give them time alone, unless you feed live (which I never do ) there is no reason to have to stick around and watch them ......

just my 2cents
Scorched at Birth , I Turn to Death With No Survival ...Bid The World Undone , For Now My Blood Shall Run Without Soul ....Wrap Your Life Around Me , You Are MY Tourniquet. Breath Your Life In To The Nothing That Is Me.............(myself)

Member: DSG (Durham Snake Group)

Last edited by ScreamingMisfit; 12-08-03 at 07:17 PM..
Old 12-08-03, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
get a bullsnake or some eating machine similar to one.
Old 12-08-03, 09:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
If you find you are tossing a bunch of prey because young snakes are no longer feeding as strongly it may be a seasonal effect - most of ours (corns and kings) slow down in the fall/winter even before brumation.

While we try to keep to something of a schedule with feeding for our convenience, we do wait for some evidence that they are hungry before offering food. I expect to see them out looking for a couple days or so before feeding day or they are off the list to get anything offered that week. For those that are secretive, like the young hondurans, I want to see a couple nights in a row where there are lots of trails in their bedding before a day that they are fed. While we feed the largest prey they can readily handle, I prefer to let them get hungry between meals. If they are not out it is likely that they are coming into shed or just not in the mood to feed. Of course we check everyone daily and keep records of feeding on the tub and on a record sheet in the snake room so that if someone has an extended period where they haven't fed we are checking up on the reason.

mary v.
Mary VanderKop
Login to remove ads
Old 12-18-03, 08:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
I have my young(less than 3 years old) snakes split into two "groups" that get fed on 4 day scehdules on different days, and the adults are fed every 7-10 days. First advantage is that I don't have to run home from work and feed everyone all at once. Plus, this way if someone(other than the adults) refuses, there is usually someone who will eat it if offered. Ever seen a fully grown California King take a "fat" little pinky mouse...? I have and it does look as bizzare as it would seem.

If all else fails I just toss it to the cat(she's a mouser anyways, probably better quality than what she catches too).
California Kingsnakes.
Honduran Milksnakes.
Black Milksnakes.
Closed Thread