border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-03, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to maiden_canada
ahh mykee i didn't know that, do you feed kittens milk because they need calcium? i don't understand why kittens aren't lactose-intolerant though, what changes when they're older?
Old 11-23-03, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by C.m.pyrrhus
Situations like this make me wonder why some folks get snakes. You would think that they would fully understand the problems that arise with keeping them. I personally would kill it, freeze it and use it on a later day.

In the future I would suggest purchasing some frozen mice. That way you do not have to deal with the killing, and all this can be avoided. But understand if you cannot kill prey, then do not buy live again. Honestly, something you have to deal with....
I agree with this. Though I have been keeping for a while now, it is still heart breaking to have to kill a rat..but you have to do it. It comes with the territory, so to speak. Toughen up!
Old 11-23-03, 07:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to maiden_canada
if the snake kills it in 1-2mins, and you can kill it in under 10seconds, whats the problem? its the same when you hit it against a wall as when you toss it in the cage.
Old 11-23-03, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

IMO killing is killing. For us as people, we find the need to make death as painless as posible for moral reasons. I have even taken a baby rat as a pet because he showed to be "smarter" than the rest and felt a bit of affection for the little guy.

I do have a heart, but I also know that I am keeping many rodent eating animals. The time it takes prey to die at the "hands" of a snake is usually slower than that of what we as people can do, and usually with less pain and discomfort, but we still find it bad or evil to do anything other than what is recommended by societies moral stanards. This boggles me. I don't get it...:: shrugs ::

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-23-03, 07:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilyskip
CM--I don't think the issue is that we find it 'bad' or 'evil' to kill a rat, it's just difficult to be the one who has to do it. although it's clearly faster and more humane for the rat, we end up with the sole responsibility for ending something's life, rather than just being an instrument of its death. i think a lot of it also comes from squeamishness (at least, I can speak for myself on that one).

I agree with everybody, though...killing rodents comes with the territory...it's just harder for some of us than others.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-23-03, 08:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Well, I did not mean "we" find it bad, just that in general it is frowned upon in society. I tell folks about my interest, and then eventually it leads to how I feed my snakes. I also work at a Animal Hospital and the folks I work with do not get it. They feel it is a bad thing to do for some odd reason. Although I may add, they think it is a good idea to rip venom glands and fangs out of snakes to train dogs on venomous species...but killing rats is bad.

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-23-03, 10:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Nicky
thx ,meh i'll try and keep it alive as long as possible and try to feed it to my snake but if it starts getting thin i'll kill it and spare it the suffer
Old 11-23-03, 10:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

whack it and freeze it, rats have a good "shelf life" in the freezer. Do you feed your corn live mice?
Old 11-23-03, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

ya she eats live mice but i watch her to try and prevent her from getting hurt even thoe i know the only true way to protect her is dead but she stopped eating dead a long time ago... c.m pyrrhus i never said de fanging snakes and traning dogs to attack snakes wasen;t bad i just wanted to try and keep the rat alive until my snake will eat it.
Old 11-24-03, 11:53 AM   #25 (permalink)

If the rat is three weeks old, It is already weaned. If it is not weaned, then keeping alive and letting it starve to death is animal abuse.!!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-24-03, 11:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicky
ya she eats live mice but i watch her to try and prevent her from getting hurt even thoe i know the only true way to protect her is dead but she stopped eating dead a long time ago... c.m pyrrhus i never said de fanging snakes and traning dogs to attack snakes wasen;t bad i just wanted to try and keep the rat alive until my snake will eat it.
she stopped eating dead? Sounds like a mistake YOU made. Never feed live after you have a snake taking dead! If she skips a meal, fine..but that doesn't mean you should try live because of that.
Old 11-24-03, 12:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

ya but she went off eating for a good 5 months i tried senting, making a little cut so it would bleed it was like my only other otipon besides force feeding
ya i killed the rat so it wouldn;t have to starve to death nice and fast over the head.
Closed Thread