border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-03, 03:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
Super Genius

Lets keep this going. Work with me; maybe the woman was a pygmy midget, standing all of 23" tall, and weighing in at a miniscule 37 lbs. Now if this 10 pound snake were somehow exposed to some radiation, making it twice as thick as a normal snake, then maybe, just maybe it coulda' pulled this off. Personally, I won't believe it until I see the pics in the National Enquirer.
Old 11-25-03, 09:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SCReptiles
Constrictors do not seek to crush. They wish to kill expending as little energy as possible. They lightly tighten each time the prey exhales until such time the prey can no longer inhale. Then they prey suffocates. I have never seen bones broken in constriction, and I am one of the people who has seen constriction from the inside. =) I donít think the snake could or would have broken her into a more bite size meal.
Actually Constrictors kill by causing Cardiac Arrest in the victim, by causing the veins and arteries in the blood system to become to shallow for blood to flow, thus causing the heart to stop.

This was shown the other night on a discovery documentary where they injected Xray dye into the man's arm and showed it without the snake, then did the same with a small 6ft bci constricting the arm and the blood flow was down to only the main artery in the man's arm.. none of the smaller vessels showed in the ray.
Old 11-25-03, 10:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually Constrictors kill by causing Cardiac Arrest in the victim, by causing the veins and arteries in the blood system to become to shallow for blood to flow, thus causing the heart to stop.
Certainly any type of a constriction device: snake, string, or belt can act as a tourniquet and restrict blood flow. However, I think that is more of a collateral action with suffocation still being the primary objective. Blood flow restriction can certainly lead to death, but it would be slower and less efficient then suffocation. I donít doubt you saw this on TV, but I donít think the shows assessment is accurate.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 11-25-03, 10:12 AM   #34 (permalink)

I acatually saw this show as well. They claimed that the snake causing cardiac arrest was a more efficient way of killing. They claimed that suffocation would take longer. They said that it would take less than a minute to kill through restriction of blood flow. If it was merely suffocation, it would take much longer than that. In reality, it's pobably a combination of both. Oh, it was National Geographic if anyone was interested.
Closed Thread