sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-03, 08:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to skillz
I have an Epiphone and it owns everything. I got it used and its totally fine. I would recomend getting a Electric for a starter guitar not accoustic...It really is personal preference but I think People have more fun with 2 cents
Old 11-18-03, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Fritz
I've played a few ibanez guitars, a friend of mine has an early 80's destroyer and an early 90s rg. The destroyer has 3 humbuckers and it's black. Looks mean, but its heavy as hell, and the neck gets super sticky (maybe I sweat too much?? lol)

The rg is a wicked guitar though. I think its a 550, I've also tried the cheaper entry level rg's they started cranking out the last couple of years and wasn't really impressed. I've busted my thumb across a couple of soundgear basses as well, nothing but praise for these guitars.

I actually picked out an old ibanez electric/acoustic for my girlfriends xmas present today. Buying used isn't so bad, I've had a few guitars over the years and most of them used. Just make sure you take someone with you that knows their stuff and you'll get a decent guitar at a good price. For the price of a new Japanese Squire strat, you could pick up a decent mexican fender strat and actually have something worth selling if you decide you don't want it.

my $0.02
Old 11-19-03, 12:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to BAZ
Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-03, 01:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to burmer Send a message via MSN to burmer
A Fender strat was my first electric guitar. I think it's a great choice for a first.
Old 11-19-03, 01:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
I spent a pile a few years back on a custom US Strat and I don't often regret it. The only times I DO regret it is when it needs a set up. No one has mentioned a Telecaster yet. My dad has a sweeeeet Tele. Nice guitars.....

Anyway, the best advice you've gotten so far is to shop around and find something that you enjoy and find easy to play. Electric or acoustic, doesn't matter. Both have ups and downs. Sometimes I like to sit on the couch and watch tv while I play guitar and my strat is so nice and quiet compared to my acoustics... my kids don't even tell me to stop playing!

The people who say to get an acoustic because they are harder to play have a point but if it's too hard to play, your fingers will get really sore and you might not want to even go through the trouble of playing after a while. It should feel good to play, not hurt. A guitar that is really hard to play probably isn't a very nice guitar anyway...

Just take someone with experience when you shop to check out the intonation and stuff. No matter how good you are, a guitar with terrible intonation will make you sound a lot worse! :P
Cranwill's Captive Bred Snakes
Login to remove ads
Old 11-19-03, 02:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

ive played ibanez before and i actually prefer it over my step dads gibson. my buddy plays a 5 string ibanez bass and it sounds great. i dont usually play bass bu this one is fun to play. jackson guitars are sweet too but ive never played one. im getting an esp this month. esp rocks it also depends on what style of music you are interrested in playing.
Old 11-19-03, 05:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
I swear by either Gibson SG's or Fender USA made Stratocasters.
I have owned 1964 1973 and now 2001 Strats and the 2001 is almost as nice as the 64 I once owned. Fender is really making kick *** instruments again. The worst period was the late seventies and eighties. I find Les Pauls too heavy in weight, and not as nice to play as Fender Strats. I like SG's cause they have nice tight fretboards and play nice and are much lighter and easier to handle than Les Pauls. But you have to play the guitar to really judge, each guitar is like a women, there all different.

Old 11-19-03, 06:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Former member
I have yet to see anyone here mention the chance of hand injury by starting off on an acoustic Guitar first. New players do need some time to gain hand strength and flexability in thier fret hand an acoustic with a high action can be hell on the hands and lead to handstress. Baz you said your friend was a female and that means small hands for the most part so a thinner neck should be the best choice to start out with. Acoustics have thicker necks for good reason ( more mass = more sustain) Strat style necks (curved fret board) are much eaiser to play and are less stressfull on the fret hand. Flat wide necks (Charvel Kramer and newer Ibanez ) are made for players with a very light touch so gorilla grip is not nessary. 21 or 22 frets is more than enough frets and encourages students to learn how to bend to acheive the higher tones (Ie 24 frets or more) I too like cranwill have a custom shop strat ( bought in 86 best 2 grand I ever spent) I have found that nothing is more versitile than a strat ( you see them played from country music all the way up to metal) Yup tim telie's are sweet and that will be my next one I figure. I have owned most of the big name guitars over the years and not one of them remains (except for the strats) and a tacoma acustic. The choice baz is up to your friend (and her wallet) I wish her luck.

“You know its funny I was thinking about what you said. The preeminent truth of our age is that you can not fight the system. But if as you say the truth is fluid that the truth is subjective then maybe you can fight the system. As long as just one person refuses to be broken refuses to bow down” “But can you win?” “Every time I say NO”
Old 11-19-03, 08:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Fritz
ahh teles are very nice
a buddy of mine bought a mexican custom tele in summer '02. Paid around 900 for it I believe, shipped to his door. It plays like a dream, but you can't really bash out cannibal corpse on it
it's great though if you're into the non death metal scene.

Another brand I haven't seen mentioned is Yamaha, yeah I know they're entry level guitars for the most part, but they can take an amazing beating. I picked up a Pacifica 5 or 6 years ago with jackson electronics in it, and I haven't had a single problem with it. It plays pretty good for a $250 guitar and it has seen its share of punishment, dropped a few times, falling over etc.
Closed Thread