border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-03, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Being a breeder

I was wondering if there is much money in breeding. I have bred leopard geckos but only normals so I didn't make any money. At the moment I'm making around $11500 a year and I don't see much promising things in my future, so thought maybe I'll just breed animals. Does anyone here actually make money by breeding herps? I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it, but I don't know if I'll make enough money to support myself financially.

Martin
Old 11-14-03, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lordkovacs
takes a HUGE initial investment. I think most breed only to offset the costs of their collections (ie. food, housing needs, etc.). of course, the serious breeders make some money, but again, takes a big initial investment. good luck,
MIKE
Old 11-14-03, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Most breeders have day jobs !!!
Old 11-15-03, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

A fellow friend and breeder I know makes about $140,000 a year, and holding down a full time job (60+ hours a week) as well. Another aquaintance of mine makes ***a lot more*** than that out of his own shop, but he went to KU and has a zoological degree, head of a herptelogical society among other things, and worked extremely hard and knows about everything there is to know about herps under the sun. These guys make up a small percentage of folks that do this well, and not everything is about money to them either (they just do a darn good job and love what they do). They took their time and went to school, worked hard at a full time job.
Fact is, most breeders have a day job and breed just for shear interest in herpteculture. It is not something they do to make big bucks, and most of what they make goes back into food, supplies and other expenses. It takes money to make money!!!!
If this is something of your interest, by all means work hard at it as a hobby. After time and experience is gained, you will start to do better and enjoy it more. Nothing can be rushed with a lack of knowledge of the specifics it takes to make it.

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-15-03, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Genius

If I'm not mistaken, I can only think of two breeders that don't have a day job as well as their hobby/business of breeding reptiles and/or snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-15-03, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Most breeders are lucky to break even - if you're not in it for the love of the animals you shouldn't be doing it.

Being self employed is a tough racket and lots of work.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 11-15-03, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Let me offer another side to this discussion...

If you breed nothing but $50 - $150 animals, you'll probably only break even but it costs the same amount of money to keep a normal ball python as it does to keep an albino. Same cost, higher market value. If I sell 10 $100 snakes and you sell 10 $5000 snakes, who do you think would only break even? Me.

Breed animals that you enjoy working with and invest in some high-end animals. It will just be a matter of building yourself a reputation based on the quality of your animals. It's possible... maybe not easy but it is possible...
Old 11-15-03, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Corey Woods
Yes you can make money at breeding snakes......it just all depends on what you plan on breeding. You have to breed animals that you like and that will sell.

I make about $40,000 a year at my day job and about $100,000 a year breeding snakes.

Corey
Old 11-15-03, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Genius

WOW!!.....
Old 11-15-03, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

This topic was recently discussed in great depth. Here's the link

Breeding snakes for a living.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-15-03, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Corey you really shouldnt post that on a public forum... Well unless you claimed all 100 grand on your taxes... LOL You never know who is lingering...
Old 11-15-03, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Corey Woods
Jeff,

Don't worry.....everything legit.........It is a pain in the *** keeping all the receipts for tax time. When you are a "small" breeder you don't have to keep track of anything because they are "pets". But, when you start making money at it and have to start paying tax on it then it's a whole lot extra paperwork. I'm actually afraid to file my taxes this year because it's going to be a real hit in the wallet! Oh well......you make more so the government takes more. You also have to remember that I have a lot of expenses as well which goes against your income. I'll have in around $40-50,000 in expensese this year as well......it's not cheap keeping 300+ snakes!

Ralph Davis is going to feel a hit too......he's done a couple million in sales on snakes..........that is public info as he posted at on one of the forums recently.........I'd hate to see his tax bill!

Corey

Last edited by Corey Woods; 11-15-03 at 10:01 PM..
Old 11-15-03, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey Everyone...it is great being breeders, but let's not forget that you don't have a life (aside from whether you make money or not). We are constantly in trouble with our family because we can't get away to spend as much time as we should with them. No one invites us to spend a week-end camping with them 'cause they know what we will say.
Make sure it is really what you want to do...we really do enjoy what we do most of the time!!! David and Andrea of DNA Reptiles.
Old 11-15-03, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Darren179
Well, I am a student so I dont have many bills I just basicly am going to see how breeding regular beardies and leopard geckos goes then keep moving up keeping track of everything and using the profit I make to expand, I am going to be paying my portion of electrical and my own food bills, I am hoping to make maybe break even and just keep building so when im older maybe I can make a little money off of it, I doubt I will because I go all out on all my enclosures its just to fun. But I do it as a hobby so I think it would be cool If i could basicly do my hobby for free.
Old 11-15-03, 10:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Didn't we just have this disscussion?
Trevor
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread