sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-03, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nolagurl
You Belong In A Zoo! --Book Review

You Belong in a Zoo! Tales from a lifetime spent with Cobras, Crocs, and Other Creatures , Peter Brazaitis

I thought some of you may be interested in this book. I found it at Barnes & Noble for $25 USD, $37.95 Canadian. When did hardbacks get so stupid expensive?
Anyway. It's a fantastic, easy, light read. Peter Brazaitis writes his memoirs of moving up through the ranks of the Bronx Zoo. He includes many interesting accounts of animal dealings, including escaped cobras, herping in Cameroon, and the logistics of a polar bear vasectomy.

The books also provides an interesting time line of how husbandry techniques have vastly improved since the 1950's. If you work in a zoo or are just interested in reptiles (read: this entire community) then you should definitely read this book.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-12-03, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds good. I like watching those vet / animal rescue shows. The Toronto Zoo has a show called Zoo Diaries.
Old 11-12-03, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

that show rocks
Old 11-12-03, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

croc diaries (Australia Zoo) is a much better show then Zoo Diaries (Toronto Zoo), they show much more herps and alot more animals, it seems every time I watch Zoo Diaries all they show is the gorillas and rhinos....watch Croc Diaries if you actually want to see Reptiles and a look behind the scenes at a better zoo in my opinion!

-murph

VISIT HERPHAVEN: http://www.brainofc.com/herphaven.htm
Old 11-12-03, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I love Zoo Diaries. The did a spot on the Komodos one day that was excellent. Its nice to watch Zoo Diaries and then be able to go to that zoo and see those same animals.

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 11-12-03, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

There was one episode that was about incubating a particular turtle (can't remember the name). They hatched the first 5 in Canada! Pretty cool.

Croc Diaries is a good show too.
Old 11-12-03, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Re: You Belong In A Zoo! --Book Review

Quote:
Originally posted by nolagurl

I thought some of you may be interested in this book. I found it at Barnes & Noble for $25 USD, $37.95 Canadian. When did hardbacks get so stupid expensive?
hehe You could just get a libarary membership and never take it back j/k. I only buy used hard back they are at least 1/2 the price.
Old 11-13-03, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nolagurl
eh..I was in the bookstore and it was there so I splurged. I normally buy used as well.
Closed Thread