sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-03, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jaybox_reptiles
Reptile skin

Hi all i just dont get wht people would rather were a snake as gloves or boot or shoes or somthing then actually see the creature alive and and doing good..... do you ? thx

Jay
Login to remove ads
Old 11-11-03, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Snake Gloves. where did you see them?

Brian
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Old 11-11-03, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neo

Send a message via AIM to Neo
ppl make all sorts of clothing outa snake skins. i guess it's kinda the same as leather/cows and horses except more "exotic" so those rich ppl love it
Old 11-11-03, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm against it 100%, people don't need boot bags and belts made out of crocs, gators, snakes ANYTHING! Leave 'em live their life, because some rich people thinks it looks good, the have the right to do it....I'd make it illegal everywhere if I had the power...sad if you ask me, especially today with all the awareness that people have, makes me sick. Buy the fake stuff if anything, if you really need it...

-murph

VISIT HERPHAVEN: http://www.brainofc.com/herphaven.htm
Old 11-11-03, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Sunrunner Send a message via Yahoo to Sunrunner
What about cattle?Isnt that the same thing? I know people that feel the same way about their prize cows. (not that i think that it is ok to skin snakes for boots or anything) just thought the point had to be made.

~Kim~
Login to remove ads
Old 11-11-03, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Of course itís style these days, but snake skin was originally used out of necessity. I am not against the use of snake skin, but am completely against any wasteful death. I would have a problem with any snakes being slaughtered just for the skin, but if the meat is being used as food and the skins for leather goods then itís ok by me, so long as the species is not in danger. For example, I see no problem with taking WDB from TX for food and leather. The snakes are plentiful and reproducing every year I great numbers. I do have a problem with EDB being harvested from FL. Their numbers are way down and females only produce every other year.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 11-11-03, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nolagurl
I agree with SCReptiles. Alligators here in Southeast Louisiana have become overpopulated. They were engangered for a while because of various reasons there are now too many of them. Alligator meat is quite good actually.

Problems stem from people poaching and exhausting already declining populations of certain species.
Old 11-11-03, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Alligator meat is quite good actually.
For any of you that live near me, you can get gator at Uncle budís Catfish house in East Ridge, TN. I75 x 1. =)
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 11-11-03, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
rwg

Let me make this clear. I am against any wasteful killing of animals, and I am against treating any animals cruelly when they are alive. That said, if you wear leather, but condemn using snakeskin, I find it a bit hipocritical. People seem to think the species they love are somehow special, or deserving more protection than others.

As for why people like snakeskin products, it's obvious. Snakes are absolutely beautiful. I still remember the first time I saw a red-tail boa. The color and pattern was stunning. I'd rather have one as a pet than as footwear, but I definately see the attraction.

rg
Old 11-12-03, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is very interesting...

I have been an extremist when it comes to killing snakes, but Chuck and rwg bring up a good point. I cant condemn those who wear the skins of snakes in good numbers, when I'm all for hunting deer. As for EDB's and Timbers, if I catch a person killing one of them, for whatever reason, they'll be lucky if I dont slaughter them.

However, I will always loathe Rattler Roundups.

What do ya wanna bet I can throw this football over them mountains?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-12-03, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ChristinaM
I'm not against the wearing of animal skin. I had a friend who had a python named Boots. The name was because when it died, it was going to become a pair of boots LOL.

I am 100% against the killing of animals for this purpose though. I would never go out, or condone someone who went out a killed a snake just to make boots. However.....if someone has a pet, and after it dies, choses to make it into whatever....hey that's an awesome way of keeping your pet with you

It's a complicated decision/thought/whatever when it comes to animals and this topic.

I am all for deer hunting. BUT....what I find diffrent about that, is we don't deer hunt for aesthetic purposes. We deer hunt to eat (well, we personally do). The deer is put to good use and feeds quite a bit. There is also strict regulations involved with deer hunting here. There is a limit of 1 deer per hunter, and you can only hunt certain days/weeks. Those rules we strictly abide by.

Basically, I'm for the use of animals in the food chain.
I am not for the use of animals for aesthetic purposes (animals that are not dying on their own).

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-12-03, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jaybox_reptiles
i no a guy that has some rattle snake skin working gloves
Old 11-12-03, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bichiraddict, you are right. I meant under regulated hunting. I dont think you should be able to hunt any animal except under these conditions. Populations would be wiped out in an instant if it was for these regulations.

What do ya wanna bet I can throw this football over them mountains?
Closed Thread