sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-03, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
those popups are usually triggered by stuff like gator and other ad programs installed with programs like kazaa, various "helper" programs like date manager, weather bug, time keeper (windows xp will automaticly update your time for you, no need for a third party program), various tool bars for internet explorer. there's adaware and another one something search and destroy that are good at getting rid of these parasites, though you have to be careful you don't disable some ad driven software in the process.
Neo-Slither (Snake fanatic mailing list) http://<br />

May you live in interesting times.
Old 11-10-03, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Originally posted by Invictus
I also use PanicWare's Popup Stopper Pro. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I second that. I used the free version for almost a year, and upgraded to the pro version.
Old 11-10-03, 05:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
I just use Mozilla
Old 11-10-03, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
I have BOTH adaware and pop killer and both are freewareso it is all good found that the sometimes miss the root of the problem though so get adaware and run it and it will tell you info on what it finds after that do a search on your computer looking for some of the names and see what pops up....
Old 11-10-03, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
totally agree with Lisa as for BEING EXTREMELY careful for what you shut off and/or delete.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-10-03, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
adaware is awesome. I dont think messanger servise is an issue with WinME but to disable it go start -> run type "services.msc" and hit enter scrool down to messanger r-click select proprities switch startup type to manual. Againt im pretty sure its just an XP issue but its worth a look.

Also if you're a kazaa user running adaware will disable it, and other P2P programs, they automatically instally spyware and wont run if its removed. Just get rid of kazaa and get kazaa lite. If you want a link PM me it can be a bit of a pain to track down,
Old 11-11-03, 12:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3
I think I may be having the same problem, I do not have a problem with internet site popups, what I have is that the popups will automatically pop up on me, most of the time I am either in a chat or just away from my keyboard. Ive done what was suggested here and was wondering, all of the popups are related to Explorer so I was wondering could I delete that? Keep in mind I am strictly computer illiterate and really have no idea what I am doing so bare with me if that was a truely stupid question. Thanks.
Old 11-11-03, 12:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to JonD
I am running zone alarm pro... It works really well. Like a gate keeper, and had an internet lock on it. Also montiors all programs accessing the net...
Jon Dona

Fox has one of those new reality shows at eight, 'Fast animals, slow children
Closed Thread