border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-03, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

need help

My girfriends kid brother (14) wants a snake for Christmas. He wants a big one like my retic but i said no. he had a kingsnake the size of a pencil that got out of the cage and now is feared dead. I don't want to get him something overly big but i don't want to get a ball python, Any suggestions . He wants a python
Old 11-09-03, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Spotted Pythons,
Children's Python
these are small..lol
Old 11-09-03, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would an I J carpet be ok? they are a nice size and pretty snake
Old 11-09-03, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

as long as he could deal with initial biting untill the snake gets bigger it would probably be okay
Old 11-09-03, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to maiden_canada
maybe hog island boa....it all really depends on how responsible he is and how much you trust him. IJ carpet pythons would be good, 4-7 feet in length and theyre very simple to take care of. make sure you and him know everything about the snake though before he gets it
Login to remove ads
Old 11-09-03, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
I suggest Mackelot's python. they don't get too big.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 11-09-03, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

He wants a pretty snake , but i refused to get him a retic. I was thinking ;
rainbow boa
Ij carpet
mackelot's (thanks lisa) forgot about that one
male common red taled boa
Old 11-09-03, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Reticman Send a message via MSN to Reticman Send a message via Yahoo to Reticman
He is WAY to young for a retic. Doesnt he have parents? Can they buy him a snake? Another issue that concerns me is how long will it go before he loses this one
Old 11-09-03, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Now, now! Plenty of people have lost snakes before. That does not mean he shouldn't have another. Maybe you could show him some pics and a few websites about snakes. Let him pick his favorite based on care, behavior and size

Julie
Old 11-09-03, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RachelS. Send a message via Yahoo to RachelS.
I wouldn't say he is too young for a retic, just not responsible enough for one and doesn't have the experience. I am 15 and got a burm when I was 14 (that I still have) and I'm getting a genetic striped retic by sometime next year.
I say don't get him anything too small, go with something sort of medium sized so it doesn't get out easily or when it gets lost he can at least find it. If he wants a python, tough luck... make him go with a boa constrictor (Boa constrictor imperator).
If he just has to have a python or he will die or be super upset not getting one then a CB ball python is actually an okay choice even though you wish he not get one. Either that or maybe a childrens python or spotted python, or possibly a blood python if he can keep water and humidity well. Not a rainbow boa because they are high maitenece and require tons of misting and a good cage setup. IJPs and JCPs are really nice but are pencil thin as babies and very nippy... if he can get a good cage and handle a bitey snake go for it. Good luck!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-09-03, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thx ppl. I;ll get him to check out a couple of snakes and see what he likes best. I checked out brb , your right . i won't go with that one. I see the kid alot , Do you guys think a baby male albino burm would be too much. I've had them before and it's something i could help him with.
Old 11-09-03, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Another good idea, although not a python, is a Rosy Boa. They are some of the best boids to get for a beginner I feel. They feed well, care is simple and do not get overly big at around 3-4' tops. Also darn pretty snakes, and different ssp to look into.

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-09-03, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's not so much your age but buying a retic @ 14-15 years old but think about it, you're young chances are may need to move to school or move out whatever, wheres the 20 foot snake stand here? They're better suited for those that are on stable ground and able to care for them for years to come.
Old 11-09-03, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
I don't know if a burm (that grows to be a 2 person snake) is the best gift for a teenager. What happens if the kid goes to college?

May you live in interesting times.
Old 11-09-03, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
I would go with a carpet python, personally. Irian Jayas are good, because they are pretty small (4-5.5 feet) but not tiny. And they are pretty tame, even babies sometimes. Coastals are awesome too, but get a bit bigger (7-8 foot average). You can go with a jungle as well. Either way. just try and make sure that its tame, well established, and feeding well on RATS.

This might be a little lame, but since he's only 14 you might want to go through different snake choices with him and tell him to choose the favourite one. Then tell him to research it and have him take a test and he can only have a snake if he passes

Just an idea!
Zoe
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread