border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-03, 03:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Slannesh
Hey Xain great quote, like I said, learn something new every day.

RMBolton, I see your point as well, but he did not claim that was his own work. He's also stated in several other posts that he's taking related courses in school. I assumed it was a quote from a book, but didn't realize that it was a requirement to post authors and page #'s on an internet forum.

So, like Derrick, I would have appreciated a simple reference rather than accusations and threats. Had he outright claimed to have wrote it I would be at the head of the line to burn him as a witch, but he didn't. No need to overreact.
Old 11-07-03, 04:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Good work Zane. Personally it makes sence to post things of thought or importance in the forums when one asks about it. Being that good information is all around to share, I agree that you did a good job helping in the discussion, no matter how you look to some folks. It seems OK for many folks to actually copy bad info in a lot of forums and base it as fact, and then have the whole "herd" follow through, but in this case i feel it was just careful and experienced observation and good thinking to add what you did. Good post.

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-07-03, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
yea seriously who gives a crap where he got it. If the person who wrote the book gets mad he can come and yell but does anyone here anctaully give a **** where he got it from..i sure dont and i got my answer, and a very good one at that..thanks a lot everyone
Old 11-07-03, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Well, if ssnakess.com gets sued for the publishing of copyrighted materials without permission, then somebody will care. If you didn't write it, you really should post a link rather than copying and pasting somebody else's info. It's not just good manners, it's also international copyright law.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 11-07-03, 11:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Legalities aside, it's an ethical requirement in our society. To the people that said "he never said it was his, so it's okay" by writing it without a citation, you are in effect claiming it as yours (whenever you write something without a reference than by convention you are claiming it as yours). I have heard all the hollow proclamations of innocence before, so Xain, do not waste them on me.
My post was in attempt to make you aware that you cannot plagiarize, people will catch you, and I had hoped to save you from the consequences of your actions in the future. Plagiarism is always wrong, and it's never an accident.
How could anyone ever take Xain's information as his own in the future when he steals it from academics and shows no remorse for his blatant disregard for the rules? I had given you the opportunity to acknowledge your "mistake" but you lashed out, which leads me to believe it was no "mistake." Believe me there are no second chances in work and school.
Ryan
P.S. Maybe we run in different circles but, Xain, if you are going to speak like an academic, than I assume you embrace some of the rules of academia and understand your discretion.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-07-03, 11:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

from RMBolton
Quote:
How could anyone ever take Xain's information as his own in the future when he steals it from academics and shows no remorse for his blatant disregard for the rules?

Ryan: Not getting involved here in the rights and wrongs, but that sentence doesn't ring true to me - surely to the majority it doesn't really matter where Xain's information came from, but more that it is accurate, and can be read with confidence? Regardless of plagiarism and copyright issues, someone 'quoting' (used loosely) from actual texts is a MORE credible to me that all the 'I think that...' or 'I once heard that...' or, worst of all, the 'this is the absolute, definite, only right answer, and I'm making it all up' type of answer!

And generally, on a personal note, I started reading this thread, got quite enthusiastic, and was winding up for a reply along the lines of the 'what is real' debate, post-modernism, and all that, erm, 'theory', but, as always seems to happen on these forums (or 'fora'?), the main story got diverted into a far lesser debate. Not Ryan's fault - he made a fair and valid point, but everyone else jumped off down that route, and now there's a page of posts about that instead! It's a shame.

Brig.
Old 11-07-03, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Plagarism is not allowed on ssnakess.com
the same way people cannot post pictures that do not belong to them without giving the owner credit, you cannot word for word post someones published work without giving them credit

all we ask is that the rightful owner is accredited, Ryan posted the name of the author in his post, so since people now know that he is the rightful author.

It is NOT unreasonable for people to get upset at this, some people devote their lives to finding info like this and copying it word for word just trivializes what they have put into this work.

the author may not care, but thats not for us to decide, i know that i would be upset if my work was copied with permission or accreditation.

thats it.
Old 11-07-03, 01:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Plagarism is the copy of 100% of the literature, which Zane <B>did not post</B>, even if it does seem closely worded. Copyright laws also do not matter once the subject has been changed to some degree. I think it is out of line to assume it is plagarism, for nothin was "Stolen" from any "Original Author" that I see.

A lot of information is based from these academics you so aptly named, for where else or we to get our information except from these or our own close observations? So must we quote <i>every single piece of "original thought or literature"</i>? I think everyones post would be lead to many referances on where they got their information in that case. Then what would be the point of sharing info after that??

Rattlesnakes of Arizona
Old 11-07-03, 03:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

Check your sources C.m.pyrrhus as you do not have a clear idea of what constitutes plagiarism. Although 100% word-for-word is plagiarism in its extreme (which, incidentally, is the case here - Xain copied word for word) the academic regulation of plagiarism is to put forth as original to oneself the ideas or words of another. Under a strict interpretation of these regulations, the very act of passing off an idea (regardless of word-for-word copying) as one's own without acrediting the original source is plagiarism.
This post need not go on any longer.
These are the rules of life, the moderators have indicated these are the rules of the forum.
Ryan
Old 11-07-03, 03:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
dvs

geez... some people are just way to uptight.

GET OVER IT!!!!!

Thanks for screwing up what "started" out to be a very interesting thread. :grumps:
Login to remove ads
Old 11-07-03, 04:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

DVS, as moderator of this forum, I believe plagiarism is more important keeping with the original topic of the post.

As Ryan B. said, there isn't any more reason to continue the talk about plagiarism, feel free to get back to the "reptile brains" topic, or start a new thread.

Ryan
Old 11-07-03, 04:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Neo

Send a message via AIM to Neo
being interested in psycology i got real excited seeing a thread like this but i guess it had to turn into a debate about plagerism
Old 11-07-03, 04:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

ye seriously..whatever if he did or didnt plagerize who cares..i got my answer thanks "whoever wrote that information" and thats all i need.
Old 11-07-03, 04:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

It really bugs me that so many people take plagiarism so lightly!! I am working very closely with the professors at the college I attend, and on more than one occassion it has been mentioned to me that they have stopped expelling students for plagriarism because it is so common. That is ridiculous. Look at what we are being taught: to copy! We are supposed to be learning to comprehend and form our own words and opinions. To me, as a "writer", plagiarism is a BIG deal.
As Xain said, though, he did not mean to do it. I sincerely hope that he would have used quotes if he had known the author. But to the rest of you that think it's not a big deal..wow. I am ashamed that our school systems are allowing people to believe that it is not a big deal. You are taking someone elses work, time, and effort and using it as your own. What a shame.

Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this really pisses me off.
Old 11-07-03, 04:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

We are not being taught that at all. I dont know about florida but here in toronto my school will go NUTS if they catch you plagerize..my friend just got 30 days suspention for trying it..thats not very light and WAY TO much in my opinion. Maybe 3 days..ya know?
Closed Thread