sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion


Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-03, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Weather1's Avatar
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Hamilton/Niagara Region
Age: 45
Posts: 777

Just a few quick questions.

1. Do I need a CITES permit to bring my Ball python into the US and then back into Canada?

2. If so how do I go about getting the permit.

Thanks for your help
Weather1 is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 10-30-03, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun-2002
Age: 37
Posts: 3,162
I am not too sure about this.
But from what I think, you would need to have CITIES even if you are bringing it in to the States and back to Canada again. I mean they wont know if you traded a ball python or something during your stay in the states right? Getting the permit can take quite long. Something like 3 months+
not too sure on this one but should be something like that
maybe others with more info on Balls could help you on this one~
My Web Site!
Simon is offline  
Old 10-31-03, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar-2002
Location: Guelph
Age: 38
Posts: 972
Send a message via ICQ to Corey Woods
You will need a CITES export permit from the Canadian government to go from Canada to the USA. Then you will need a CITES export permit from the US Government to go from the USA to Canada........lots of hassle if you ask me. It'll take about 4 months to do it and about $300 US for all the proper permits and inspections.

Corey Woods Reptile
See what's hatching out. Visit the birthing record....
CWR Birthing Record
Corey Woods is offline  
Old 10-31-03, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
T.O-SK8TER's Avatar
Join Date: Jun-2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 34
Posts: 389
Send a message via MSN to T.O-SK8TER
Wow, that situation sucks, you don t want to get charged for smuggling exotic animals, yet I don t think you would get caught if it was just the one! Good luck!
T.O-SK8TER is offline  
Old 10-31-03, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
PortCreditPets's Avatar
Join Date: Apr-2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 219
Actually there are "pet" CITES permits issued on the US side that allow transport of pets back and forth with one permit. I have assisted customers and friends with obtaining these in the past. The one stipulation they will ask for is that the animal in question be microchipped with a chip that is readable by both border crossings. As well the animal may and only be transported through one border crossing. This was as of last year and since then the system may have changed. The best way is to just call them and ask or email them from their respective website.

If everyone could just get along this world would be better for all living things.
PortCreditPets is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 10-31-03, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Weather1's Avatar
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Hamilton/Niagara Region
Age: 45
Posts: 777
Thanks Grant. I'll give them a call early next week.
Weather1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0