sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-03, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Breeding snakes for a living.

First some background from myself:

I have lived a hard life and made some bad choices such as droping out of school at 15 but now im 18 and taking night classes for my g.e.d and working full time at my lps.

My parents always said i would be working at a cardboard box factory making $4 a hour and my dad still does to this day. I dont plan to go to college since obviously school isnt my thing so i feel breeding snakes would be a nice occupation for me.

Ill be the first to say i know very little about snakes but im learning everyday and im also willing to learn what ever it takes to breed snakes and make a living out of it.

Could anyone point me in the right dirrection to some informative articles about breeding snakes in general. Im not looking for any specific snakes to breed but rather the basics.

My step dad who im currently living with said he would build be a snake house out back and im sure it would be nice since he is a carpenter

This would be the best living for me considering i keep snakes as a hobby and whats a better excuse to let me get a whole house of them since it would be for my future
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-03, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
I've heard it's very hard even making a little profit in this hobby, let alone making a living. But some people manage to do it, although it takes a lot of hard work. Many of us breed reptiles as a sideline to other jobs. But if you do decide to do it, good luck. I'm sure someone with more experience than me can give you some better advice.
-Tammy
Old 10-26-03, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well i e-mailed a few webmasters that breed snakes and sell online and asked about this topic and they said its a nice living but alot of work.

I figured if i had enough snakes to breed and sold online and at expo's the money would be nice.
Old 10-26-03, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to BrandonVeenstra
Well... yes you can make a good profit. But you need to invest ALOT to get any return. Someone Like Corey Woods make have 100,000's worth of snakes.. but he had to invest just as much to get what he has now.. so you need a good initial base amount to start off.. just my 0.02$
Old 10-26-03, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Genius

Yeah, I agree. There are only what, maybe a small handful of people who actually breed and sell snakes for a living, and they have all been at it for many many years. It takes a lot of experience and a buttload of start-up cash to do something like that. You're going to need plenty of breedable females, that costs some serious cash, depending on what snakes you would like to breed. Also keep in mind that in order for you to have enough snakes to sell, you'd have to have a hell of a lot to breed. That could take a LONG time, I'm guessing at least 5 or 6 years. I would definitely get that GED.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-03, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Yep. Good luck. But consider that a lot of the money you make will be put back into new cages, feeders, supplies, etc. It might be hard to get enough even to pay for food for yourself, let alone housing and everything else. But if you are really serious and determined, I believe you could do it. It just takes a LOT of work.
-Tammy R
Old 10-26-03, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies.

I have two people that will be helping including my step dad and my best friend who also wants to breed them with me. I know it will take time and money but im willing to dish out whatever i can to make it happen.

We will start off slow of cource only breeding a few and with the money we make back on the babies we will buy more breeding pairs. I can breed rats/mice so that will be cheaper in the long run and for right now we would keep our jobs and save up and maby one day 5-10 years down the road we could be sitting pretty nice with the best job a snake hobbiest could ask for!

Does anyone know any good articles btw?
Old 10-26-03, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Wildkingdom
I have a friend who has been in the buisness for 15 years and she can finally sit at home with this and be almost comfortable. She has over 350 breeding snakes at her house, but like I said almost comfortable. It takes many years to get where you want to be and do it full time. Unless you have enough money in your bank account that you can live (pay bills, buy food etc...) you better think about getting a job then when you get to a comfortable level, then do it full time, unless of course you are going to live at home till your 40 and never have to pay anything out. You just need to be sure 5 - 10 years down the road you will be sitting pretty and that is for sure the direction you wanna take your life. Not meaning to nag but a little advice never hurt anyone!!!

Tammy

Finally I Die When I Get Poisoned by These M&M's
Old 10-26-03, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Ok, here's some more harsh reality for you.

Erin and I have 27 snakes, many of which are either current breeding pairs, or will be in the future. I get mice for 50 cents (for adults), rats for dirt cheap, and rabbits for $1/pound. It costs us over $100/month to feed just the snakes we have now. Needless to say we are not making a living off of this. In order to make a decent living by today's standards, you need to clear about $2000/month. This means you will either have to have a SERIOUS chunk of change up front to breed albino boas or womas or something expensive (which will only sell once in a blue moon, because not everyone has $1500 and up for a snake), or you need to be breeding enough cheap snakes that are still in high demand to live off of it. $2000 = 45 corn snakes PER MONTH. That's 540 corn snakes a year. That's 27 breeding pairs, and even then, there is no guarantee they will sell. What will you do if you have a dry month? Are your snakes going to starve? If they don't sell, given that they produce at the same time, can you afford to feed 540 mouths every 5 days? No you cannot. Not if the snakes aren't selling.

It's a harsh reality, but it is the reality of the situation. You need to sell a LOT of snakes to do it exclusively as a living and few people are able to do it. Get your high school. Get some secondary even if it's just a certificate or diploma. Either that or get used to starvation.
Old 10-26-03, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Invictus, where you getting your rats for dirt cheap from? PM me or something...lol...talk to you soon

Tammy

Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-03, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mike177 Send a message via MSN to Mike177 Send a message via Yahoo to Mike177
Like Invictus said it is VERY hard to make a liveing off breeding snakes, it takes LOTS of money up front and to really make a liveing of it you need not to just breed the most expensive and valuble morphs but create the expensive valuble morphs yourself. so basicly once a new morph is imported all the big name breeders want it. and your going to have to be able to offer more money then everyone one else to get it, witch will not be cheap, if you still really want to breed snakes for a liveing start out breeding cheaper snakes with a demand and see how that goes, then make the decition on weather you want to try it for a liveing.
Old 10-26-03, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just look at BRB's..

They have anywhere from 10-30 babies and lets say one did have 30 babies. If you sold all of them for $150 which is average online thats $4,500.

I am in no way wanting to get rich off this or even gain a nice car and house i just want enough money to keep food in my house and have a little cash for other things and if my math is right this can be done with a little hard work, time and dedication.

Also i will be breeding rats/mice so its cheaper and me and my friend are doing this together so thats two incomes and we will also be roomates spliting half on rent so with both of us working and selling snakes i think this would be nice but i guess theres only one way to find out :P
Old 10-26-03, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just one question? Do you have any kind of experience in breeding snakes? Just curious cause it seems you have no plans in getting a job but doing this full time?

Tammy

Old 10-26-03, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

IMO. nothing ventured nothing gained, Give it your best shot and good luck to you. The experience you can get in any business is good, just learn form your mistakes, and if this does not workout try somthing else your into.

All the best
Brian
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Old 10-26-03, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lol did you read my first post?

This thread was suposed to be about me learning as in youall giving me advice and articles so that i could learn and i do plan to keep my job at the LPS untill i breed enough to keep a steady income.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread