border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-03, 07:29 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Get an EDUCATION then get a JOB and then worry about making money at a Hobby......you need money to start any business, reptiles included, and you have to work at it...so work at school first and the rest will fall into place...believe me
Old 10-27-03, 08:02 PM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Corey Woods
Geko,

The one thing of advise that I can give you is to start small and think big! You can make money breeding herps.....you can actually do quiet well at it too....but, it takes time, money and lots of patience and dissappointment to get their. Start off small and work with animals that you enjoy working with. Most times buying an animal you don't really like but think you can make tons of money breeding it doesn't really work out in the long run. You'll get bored of the animal or dread working with them and lose interested. Buy into animals that you are excited to work with AND have a good retail value and demand. Breeding leopard geckos is a rewarding experience but if you produce hundreds of them be prepared to give them away just to get rid of them (no offence to Leopard Gecko breeders out their!). If you want to get into high end morphs of balls or boas my advice to that is go big! Heterozygous and Homozygous animals sell extremely well, but, producing them reliably requires a lot of start up cash.

As you grow and people start buying from you you will grow a reputation. If you are honest and have good animals you will get a good reputation. If you aren't then you will still get a reputation but one that you wouldn't want to brag about.

Basically, you can make money breeding any herps out their. Some herps make more money than others. Don't let it bother you when people say you are just in it for the money. Even if you are who cares? If money is what motivates you and as long as you keep your animals healthy and they breed for you then who cares what your motives are. The end result was healthy animals that thrive. Whether people want to admit it or not money is what makes the world go round. You can only lose money for so long doing something before you go broke.

If you want to try and do this full time it'll take about 6-10 years to get to that point if you are good at breeding the reptiles of your choice. You will need high end herps and you will need lots of them. You will also have to be able to reliabily produce them year after year. Most of the profit for the first years will have to be reinvested in more reptiles to allow you to grow and not fall behind. On animal that is hot one year may not be the next so it helps to deversify a little bit to offest your losses in one end (good advise for those of you thinking of investing in the stock market as well.......).

For those of you who are interested (since my name has been mentioned a couple times in this post) I currently have a collection of about 300 animals (mainly ball pythons but I also have the odd blood and GTP kicking around too for shits and giggles). I could probably make it on my own just breeding reptiles.......but I still have a full time job working 8am-4pm mon-fri (yeah....so I'm money hungry......oh well!.....it pays my feeding bill..lol!).

Corey
Old 10-27-03, 08:37 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey Woods

Basically, you can make money breeding any herps out their. Some herps make more money than others. Don't let it bother you when people say you are just in it for the money. Even if you are who cares? If money is what motivates you and as long as you keep your animals healthy and they breed for you then who cares what your motives are. The end result was healthy animals that thrive. Whether people want to admit it or not money is what makes the world go round. You can only lose money for so long doing something before you go broke.
Just for the record: This is not what I meant at all. I said 'get rich <b>quick</b>'.

I don't think anyone gets into any business without wanting to make money, or without it being within the top 3 priorities. But having the dream that you can breed a couple of snakes in a short period of time and have lots and lots of money to survive is simply unrealistic, in my opinion.

This is what I was gathering from the original posts.
Old 10-27-03, 08:46 PM   #64 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

Quote:
ball pythons morphs...snakes that go for $100.
What Ball morphs go for $100? I call those normals, not morphs.
Old 10-27-03, 08:57 PM   #65 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to morph
Favelle ive been reading all this crap just waiting for something too come off those fingers of you'res and thats all you give me.

SH*T
Login to remove ads
Old 10-27-03, 09:29 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cas
Another comment about dog breeding...... there's also either a huge initial investment to get champion or grand champion parents, or the time investment for training and showing in order to win titles so the puppies are actually worth something. And then, what do you do if you have a dog with exceptional breeding and a great future as a stud or bitch, who gets accidentially spooked or injured by a judge and then is too scared to ever show again? Or a dog that is stubborn and just never learns to heel in the correct position, or stand in the correct position?

And then there's also having to deal with unneutered male dogs, and female dogs in heat.....

Sorry, but *lol*..... Ever worked in a pet store? Try it before you say that it would be 'wonderful'...... Pet store "dream job".... HA!

Dawn
Again if you would have read my post you would know i currently do work at a pet store... god u people dont read very good... Ye i may be sounding mean but comming at me with questions that i have answered 30 times in this thread is getting annoying.
Old 10-27-03, 10:03 PM   #67 (permalink)

geko,

Corey has given you priceless advice if you are serious about getting into reptiles as a business or into any business - they bear repeating - start small and think big, work with animals you enjoy working with and be prepared to invest - time, money and energy. In my opinion, these are the key things that have brought the most successful people in this field (or any other) their positive reptuations. They strive for excellence and people who appreciate that know where to find it. Corey has made these points in forum conversations before, and I think they are the most important things I have learned in the reptile community - especially the point about working with animals that you like to work with -

mary v.
Old 10-27-03, 10:05 PM   #68 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

LOL Scott! I was waiting for EVERYONE to tell this guy NOT to try and breed snakes for a living, and then I was going to tell him the opposite!! Ha ha. But Corey already did that!

I think he should just go for it. I mean, why on Earth do you think these morphs (Ball, Boa, Retic, etc) sell for $10,000 +?? Because people want a pet? No, because they are investing in them to breed and resell to other investors. Why would I tell geko that he shouldn't buy snakes to breed and make money, and then turn around and advertise Ball morphs for thousands of dollars in the classifieds. Who is going to buy a $2,000 snake from me WITHOUT the intentions of making money? Nobody, that's who.

Of course you can make money breeding snakes. Of course its not easy. If it was, everyone would do it. Doctors make money as well. So do CEO's. But that's hard. But do you hear people telling other people to NOT be a doctor? I've never told anyone such a thing.

Bottom line is, ANYONE can breed snakes and make money. And the people that try it and fail, or try it and don't like it, well they find something else to do. No big deal. As long as the animals are well-kept and treated nice, I see no problems in starting from scratch and trying to build a business. Its quite commendable actually. But, as Corey said, expect it to take about 4-6 years to start seeing any kind of significant returns, as you'll need to breed something FIRST, then trade babies for other stuff, then raise that and breed it, and then use the money to buy a higher-end snake, then raise females from that, etc etc etc. And trust me when I say that your outlook on life and the world will change DRASTICALLY in 6 years. Heck, even 2 years. Especially at your age.
Old 10-27-03, 10:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to maiden_canada
that would be so damn sweet if it was easy to breed snakes and be rich. hey favelle, how much do you think you make a year just from breeding your reptiles? (the only ''morphs'' you sell are pastel balls right? and maybe some milksnakes?
Old 10-27-03, 10:26 PM   #70 (permalink)
kid

Hey,
Im 14 and Ive been in and out of juvenile hall but I have a strong will to make money. I probably will end up breeding snakes as a hobby and making some extra money. But still even being a kid and having food clothes and a house for free breeding does not make alot of money. Be a web designer or something. Ball pythons are pretty much considered a beginner snake so I would start with those.

Make sure you get a captive born ball python if you decide to get into this wild caught animals will be less money but can carry parasites, have respitory infections or a number of other things.

Make a good reputation for yourself im currently looking to buy a bci or bcc in the next couple months. I have been to numerous web sites but refuse to buy from anybody i have not heard alot of good things about.

Go to big apple herp and look at how much some of that stuff is. Your step dad may be able to build a good heat system but still you will need numerous reostats. And other supplies.

Be careful about buying adult breeder pairs alot of people wouldnt want to sell a good breeding pair if there wasnt something wrong with them.

Read all the care sheets. Think if you can supply all those needs to the snake. No cutting corners.

Go to www.redtailboa.net , www.redtailboas.com and here read all the forums about what you need to get. So now you cant say nobody gave you some places to find good information.

Find a good vet. Vet prices can also be very expensive.

Once you get all these things down go to specific forums and post specific questions and you should find good answers. or you can e-mail me at gaston@worldtouch.net

good luck but dont get ahead of yourself

Last edited by kid; 10-27-03 at 10:47 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 10-27-03, 10:29 PM   #71 (permalink)

Jeff_Favelle, you gave the best advise yet and i thank you for that. Seems like everyone eles is telling me not to breed for whatever reason i dont know but its not going to change my outlook on breeding.

I know i need time, money, education, and most of all pasion. All for of those i have and i will accomplish this project eventualy.

Who knows, maby 5 years down the road youall will be buying some nice reps from me
Old 10-27-03, 10:39 PM   #72 (permalink)

I didn't tell you not to. Cory, Jeff and Kid all gave you some good advice. Post some more specific questions in the forums and you might get some better answers....

Which snakes do you think you'd like to work with?
Old 10-27-03, 10:48 PM   #73 (permalink)

Keep your day job. Get your GED. Live with the parents. Give it your best shot with the breeding. Learn everything you can before you get started. Last year out of the blue I said I'm going to start a part-time landscaping business. I was a person who knew nothing about landscaping at the time, I mean nothing. Everybody laughed at me and told me I was nuts. I now bring in roughly $3k a month clear working one day a week. I'm reinvesting all the profits for more equipment and next year it will be $6K. I had a dream, turned it into a plan through a lot of research, now I have a growing business apart from my day-job. Even if it doesn't workout for you, the experience will be invaluable. I don't even own a snake, been lurking on various forums learning all I can before I make a purchase (corn or peruv. can't decide), it has already crossed my mind to breed for profit in the future. Having never owned a snake it is not a real thought, but it is a thought. Go for it! Give it everything you've got. A friend of mine said to me once, "you'll never get rich working for someone else" five years later he is a millionaire from a roofing company. Start your own business and learn. Your 18 years old and have the world by the *&%#!. If you make a mistake now, it is not a big loss and no harm is done. Learn from the experience and move on. If you are going to do it, do it. No half measures.
Old 10-27-03, 11:02 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cranwill
I didn't tell you not to. Cory, Jeff and Kid all gave you some good advice. Post some more specific questions in the forums and you might get some better answers....

Which snakes do you think you'd like to work with?
Yay now were getting somewhere

I like the snakes i have. The only snakes i dont have that i like are cali kings and tangerine honduran milks

I love blood pythons but they seem a little out of my range as of experience for right now. So breeding kings, milks, BPs, JCP, and BRB's would be fun but of cource i know some snakes might be harder but those are what im interested in for keeping as pets and breeding. After all i have to like the snake im trying to breed dont i?

Unless it was a 50,000 snake that no one had lol even if it was ugly and mean i would breed it
Old 10-27-03, 11:07 PM   #75 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Phox Send a message via MSN to Phox Send a message via Yahoo to Phox
Quote:
And trust me when I say that your outlook on life and the world will change DRASTICALLY in 6 years. Heck, even 2 years. Especially at your age.
Good point. I know when I was 18 I had absolutely no desire to do much of anything other than hold a part time job, just so i could afford stero equipment for my car . Now I look at life ALOT diffrently. So it just goes to show how confindent he(geko) is in what he wants, and I think its great he has the ambition. So personally, I say go for it! Sure you'll probably have to start at the bottom, ya gotta start somewhere. If your already at the bottom it can only get better. And if its something you enjoy doing, thats even better.
Closed Thread