border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-03, 04:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to snakemann87 Send a message via MSN to snakemann87 Send a message via Yahoo to snakemann87
Quote:
Originally posted by reverendsterlin
you have a rainbow, ball, and jungle. Why not get them paired and see if you can even be successful breeding animals more advanced than corns and kings
Um......thats probalby the worst idea yet. WHy in the world would you suggest cross breeding such species?? I mean come on man....a freaking rainbow boa isnt going to breed with either of those pythons. If it was possible(which its not) why would you want to? I am against any type of crosses...even corn X kings. I think its stupid....

I dont think that breeding should be based on making an income either.......I think you should do it as a side job man. Breeding snakes should be more for the fun of it....and if you do....dont breed any of your current snakes.....breed something like Womas or Black Headed Pythons.......something less common.
Old 10-27-03, 04:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

If you want to have a career in reptiles/pets, why not just start up a pet shop, with cats, dogs, and especially reptiles!!! Think of it, you could breed your snakes, and sell them in YOUR pet shop. This would mean you can make a little bit more cash from the pet shop then being a breeder, you could sell cats and what not with the reptiles. You could basically sell all the pets you want in your store. What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-03, 04:39 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Snakeman, I think he ment getting a pair of the same species, opposite sex to breed to the one he already has, then he could see if he can even breed snakes, and get a chance to see how hard it really is!
Old 10-27-03, 04:40 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by geko
ohh_kristina how do i THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING?

My first post on this thread states i know verry little if nothing about this topic... Thats why posted the thread for some articles but so far not 1 article has been posted...

Only thing i know is i have my goals set and no matter what youall say im going to breed them. Money or no money im going to breed them doesnt matter because in the long run i know it will work out.

If its not breeding snakes then there is something eles i can do such as open a pet store or something. Like the old saying says: you can do anything you set your mind to and thats what i plan to do. Im only on this earth for a short time so im going to take chances and make the best of it even if it doesnt work out at least i tryed
geko, I wasn't saying that YOU think you know everything. I was speaking in general terms. People think that just because they read it somewhere that it's easy to do, that they can do it and make money. That is not the case.
If you want to really learn about this, I suggest you talk to breeders about their business (if they are willing, that is). The only real way to learn this stuff is to research, plan, and then go out and do it. Start slow, though. You make it seem in your posts that you want to do this and do it now. You want to make a living right now and breed snakes. I'm saying that this is not how it works. If you decide to do this, the next 5 years of your life will be raising animals and making a name for yourself in the herp community. Then breed.
Old 10-27-03, 04:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snakemann87
Um......thats probalby the worst idea yet. WHy in the world would you suggest cross breeding such species?? I mean come on man....a freaking rainbow boa isnt going to breed with either of those pythons. If it was possible(which its not) why would you want to? I am against any type of crosses...even corn X kings. I think its stupid....
Yeah, I think they meant to get another snake of the same species but the opposite gender for each one so he can breed them that way, not cross breeding species
Old 10-27-03, 04:45 PM   #51 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

I'm not going to go over the points that have already been repeated a zillion times in this thread, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

-Don't get in to breeding reptiles for money, if it happens to work out that way, then great, but if not (and I don't mean to be pessimistic, but it likely won't... you will be hardpressed to find even any of the "big guys" that have been doing it for decades making their living off of breeding reptiles) then don't worry. If you need to set a finance goal with herps, then set it to breaking even -

Quote:
Originally posted by seann
i am going to go into a trade! some plumbers welders electricians make 100 dollers an hour now thats sweet!
All the trades are doing awesome, except welding. There are unemployed welders all over the place.
Old 10-27-03, 05:01 PM   #52 (permalink)

I wish you the best of luck. dont really have any advice accept start small. once you have a few succesfull breedings you really know what your getting into. If you need an incubator make sure you have something that works before you start breeding. Just lookat all the dinking around JD had to do with his http://ssnakess.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=27896

You should maybe register on the board under another name, just a thought, cause I'm sure a lot of people will remember this post. It might affect that whole reputation thing people were talking about, If you plan to sell here later.

I think people are only trying to discourage you because they are concerned for the snakes. Once again I say start small and go for it. You got a long time ahead of you to build that rep wish i was in your shoes.
Old 10-27-03, 05:38 PM   #53 (permalink)

Lightbulb

hey geko,
i feel your pain. i also have made some decisions which may have an adverse effect on my future. im 19 and i dropped out in grade 11. im a smart kid and i know i can accomplish anything i want. people telling me i cant do something only intensifies my ambition. i love it when people tell me im just a drop-out and wont ammount to anything. i just sit back and laugh, knowing the day will come when ill prove all those people wrong. i still dont have my grade 12 and already i make more money than some people who had once tried to bring me down. just keep updating your goals and do whatever you want. id be lying if i said the thought of breeding herps hadnt crossed my mind a few times, but if i ever decide to do so it wont be for a long time. i have too much on my plate right now as it is. if you are serious about considering this as a career choice, i would suggest much reading and learning before you jump into it. keep your head up and gain as much knowlege as possible. consider all variables and keep on keepin on.
Old 10-27-03, 05:39 PM   #54 (permalink)
rwg

Hey Geko,

I'm by no means a breeder, so feel free to ignore my opinion if you choose. I did however run some numbers to see what the costs and revenues would be for breeding snakes. I couldn't see any way to make a living selling high-volume snakes without a huge reputation, and a big committment. That's your relatively common corns, kings, ball pythons morphs...snakes that go for $100.

There are higher end snakes that it seems could give you a living. Albino ball pythons (females in particular) sell for thousands. If you had a breeding pair, you would make some money for a while on those. The problem as I see it is that you have to get in early, and you have to spend some money. They wont be rare forever...a couple generations and the high end market is getting saturated.

rg
Old 10-27-03, 05:59 PM   #55 (permalink)

Ok thanks for all the comments.

As i said before it wont be my only job and once again for elevation24 IM NOT TRYING TO GET RICH. You say im being a brat but please read my post before you say something like that. I have said many times i dont plan to get rich and i plan to keep a real job along with breeding...

I am taking in all the adive given and i thank you for it so i will start slow and work my way up and again if i dont make money thats fine im in it for the fun of it. I do however think that if i breed some easy to breed type snakes then sell and save and get a pair of albino balls i could make money. If i sell high end snakes i can make money because i wont have to feed 1000 snakes. Lets say a breeding pair of albino balls for $5,000
and i sell the babies for $2,500 a piece. Thats obviously making money but ill need to breed some common snakes to raise up enough money to buy the mating pair of AB.

To get back on track could anyone recomend some good articles on breeding rainbows, balls, and carpets? I know many will say i shouldnt start out on these snakes but i already have one of each so it will be cheaper and all but my bp are nice with screming BRB's and high yellow carpets.

Also some basic info on breeding in general would be great!

Thanks for the comments an keep em comming
Login to remove ads
Old 10-27-03, 06:21 PM   #56 (permalink)

I did read your posts. Hence how I formed my opinion.

And yes, it's quite obvious that you think you will be getting rich:

Quote:
My parents always said i would be working at a cardboard box factory making $4 a hour and my dad still does to this day. I dont plan to go to college since obviously school isnt my thing so i feel breeding snakes would be a nice occupation for me.
You're basically sayng, "My parents think I will never amount to anything so I will be breeding snakes and make a hefty profit to prove them wrong."

That's how I see it, anyway. Maybe you have changed your opinion slightly since starting this thread and receiving this kind of feedback, but from your very first post alone this is what I, and probably most everyone else, gather from it.

Good luck to you either way
Old 10-27-03, 06:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Oh -- as far as breeding articles go, I think you first need to get yourself a partner for each of the 3 that you already have Then go from there. The Breeding/Incubation forum has a lot of rich advice.
Old 10-27-03, 06:27 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation24
I did read your posts. Hence how I formed my opinion.

And yes, it's quite obvious that you think you will be getting rich:

You're basically sayng, "My parents think I will never amount to anything so I will be breeding snakes and make a hefty profit to prove them wrong."

That's how I see it, anyway. Maybe you have changed your opinion slightly since starting this thread and receiving this kind of feedback, but from your very first post alone this is what I, and probably most everyone else, gather from it.

Good luck to you either way
Yes and if you would have read all my post you would clearly see that i had changed my mind about a few things so dont just look at the first post of a 4 page thread and assume nothing was changed.
Old 10-27-03, 06:30 PM   #59 (permalink)

Believe me; I have read all of your posts.
Old 10-27-03, 07:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cas

Another comment about dog breeding...... there's also either a huge initial investment to get champion or grand champion parents, or the time investment for training and showing in order to win titles so the puppies are actually worth something. And then, what do you do if you have a dog with exceptional breeding and a great future as a stud or bitch, who gets accidentially spooked or injured by a judge and then is too scared to ever show again? Or a dog that is stubborn and just never learns to heel in the correct position, or stand in the correct position?

And then there's also having to deal with unneutered male dogs, and female dogs in heat.....

Quote:
Originally posted by geko
I dont want to stand for working a job my whole life that i dont like. Working at a pet store and breeding snakes would be a dream for me even if it doesnt bring in the $$ i will still be happy working with something i love and know about.

Sorry, but *lol*..... Ever worked in a pet store? Try it before you say that it would be 'wonderful'...... Pet store "dream job".... HA!

Dawn

"The only thing worse than a human who had no respect for other animals was a human who assumed all other animals thought and felt just like he did." --Julia Ecklar, "ReGenesis"
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread