border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-03, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

I realized that?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Old 10-26-03, 10:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

well other than money up front, you'll definately need a lot of reputation.
Yes a BRB can give up to 30 babies at once. But then you'll have to first feed it a few times before letting it go. Thus money. Then you'll need enclosures to fit them all in. Again money. Then cleaning = time. And not all 30 would want to eat right away and some may die during the process so maybe you lose 5. So you have 25 more. But then breeding, raising up the babies (offering them at least 3 meals or more before letting them go) this can only be done once a year. So 25 * 150 = 3750. Looks like good cash right? Well you'll have to minus eletric, water cost. Say $200 a year (real small amount I say but lets make things simple.) So okay after all those costs you gain $3550 a year. Then you'll have to divide it up by 12 months So that's around 295.83 a month. Then minus the feeding. Since Invictus said that he has 27 snakes (that is good for our little model.) and he is paying around $100 for all 27 snakes. Since you have 25 babies and 2 adult brbs, that's 27 snakes. So take 100 dollars off your 295.83 a month. That's 183.83 that you are earning a month. But of course you'l have to take away the inital investment that you have put in in raising the adluts and gettin the adults. Well....basically you MAYBE able to earn a few bucks a month. This is also based on the fact that you have sold ALL YOUR BRB HATCHLINGS! This is quite hard if you don't have any reputation or anything like that.

So in my opinion, unless you have tons of money to start off with and tons of time and space......dont even think about it....you're not toing to be gaining $$ from them. There are chances that they might take more money and time from you than making any money at all....

There are just so much things that you hve to think about before doing this. I would suggest you to finish your high school and try and get higher standards before thinking about this. Just my opinion....
Old 10-26-03, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well put Simon.

-Steve-
Old 10-26-03, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
boa

Damn simon well said man.he is 100% right way to be simon.
Old 10-26-03, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

asphyxia when i said that i was replying to Wildkingdom lol sorry i should have quoted him!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-03, 11:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

1.time is all i have

2.as i said ill be breeding rats/mice and i get feed for dirt cheap

3.space is not a problem

4.enclosures are cheap for babies. Rubbermaids = very cheap and for full grown my step dad is a carpenter so again very cheap

5.my step is riging me up a heating system that will be more energy efficient

6.this project will be a two man job so it will be less stress and work than it would if it was just me
Old 10-26-03, 11:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
Very well put Simon!

What he said is so true. I have tried to breed many snakes at a time to make money. But like Simon said it cost money and you need a rep before you could sell them. Because no REP means you are just like any body else that are not breeders you will have to sit on your babies until they sell. And that cost's you.
So i now just breed a few snake's on my free time. And just sell to help with bills to keep the snakes i have.

Even big breeders have other job's then just breeding

Best of luck to you
Brandon
newlinereptile@sympatico.ca
Old 10-26-03, 11:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
Gecko I understand where you are coming from...........

I really can't say anymore than everyone else has........

You probably aren't going to be able to be comfortable in 5-10 years as you want.....you will probably be just begining!
You have to establish yourself as a reputable breeder. Have the money to get more than 4-5 good breeding pairs (if you want to make money off of it!)............plus have the money for breeding rats (more nutritional than mice and a bit more bigger enclosure for them), bedding water and food for them, and maybe a few vet bills.......plus in part of becoming a reputable breeder you would probably want to offer a clean bill of health with your snake which you can't do without a vet trip.........

so good luck...........

Mischief~ Hamster
Old 10-26-03, 11:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Making a living from snakes isn't easy. It's a tough market and breeding them isn't always something you can depend on. There are other ways to make money with reptiles, via edjucation and accessories.

also there are other things you can do after high school such as learn a trade such as plumbing, electrical, carpentry (you even have some one you can apprentance with) and many of these skills would help you in a herp field.

May you live in interesting times.

Last edited by Lisa; 10-26-03 at 11:44 PM..
Old 10-27-03, 12:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to maiden_canada
im with Lisa on this one. you dont seem to like school much, so be an apprentice in a trade like carpentry. you can be a carpenter and breed snakes, almost everyone who breeds snakes for profit have other jobs too, if you dont want to do that you can also work at mcdonalds, and breed snakes
Login to remove ads
Old 10-27-03, 12:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Genius

Geko; you wanted advice? Seems that's exactly what you're getting.
Invictus; $2000/month = decent living? I'm moving into your neighbourhood as soon as I can!!!
Old 10-27-03, 12:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

calgary = low taxes, cheap townhouses
Old 10-27-03, 01:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

you are very lucky to have a dad that is a carpenter. its a very fun carreer! u can be a carpender and breed snakes, hey thats what i would do, and a carpenter makes more than a snake breeder...
Old 10-27-03, 01:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

how much does a carpenter make? like 40grand average? my friends dad is one and they have a very nice house in a good neighborhood, geko think of that and some from ur snake breeding :P
Old 10-27-03, 02:12 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Yness
Geko...do you even have a snake? Try owning a snake and taking care of one ...monitoring the temps and humidity, feeding etc...See if you actually like having a snake...then think about breeding. I know that I have no interest in breeding but i love having a snake...and i have to go with everyone else...Get your grade twelve...then if you want a job that is interesting and dynamic..get your pharm tech certificate (i have mine) and do the snake thing on the side...the program is only 10 months here in winnipeg...Good luck and all the best.

A "Choose Your Own Adventure" Hamlet would be nice; To be, turn to page 73.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread