border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-03, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

Dr. Dawn Ruben "Snakes are not poisonous and frogs are not venomous. Venom is a toxic substance that is injected. Certain species of snakes, scorpions and spiders are venomous, not poisonous...A poison is a substance that is absorbed through the skin or ingested, resulting in toxicity. Certain amphibians, fish and insects secrete a substance that is poisonous. The poisonous animal does not inject the substance into another creature."

This is off the San Diego zoo site in the children's questions section "First, there’s technically a difference between poisonous and venomous. Poisonous means that something is toxic if it is swallowed or absorbed. Venomous describes an animal that injects toxic venom into another animal, usually with teeth or fangs but sometimes with spines or spurs."

and this is off The American Board of Veterinary Toxicology website.
"A note about the difference between the terms POISONOUS and VENOMOUS. A mistake is commonly made using either of these terms interchangeably. While related, these terms have distinctive, unique meanings. A poisonous animal or plant contains a toxic substance within it constituent parts or on its surface. Poisonous is the term that describes the majority of plant derived toxins as well as polar bear liver (vitamin A), poison arrow frogs or toads. The term venomous means that the organism has a toxic substance and a specialized organ for delivering this substance. Some examples of venomous animals and their venom delivery apparatus are bees <the stinger>
venomous snakes <the hollowed fang> scorpions <the stinger>."

Old 10-25-03, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

for a little leviety did you know that there is one genus of birds with I think 5 species that is poisonous.

Old 10-25-03, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Well, something can be "scientificly correct" and actually I am asking as general usage, I'm not writing any scientific papers, I'm looking at it more from a language point of view. I think it's safe to say most people on this site are not biologists, chemists, biochemists organic chemists or the like. The point I'm trying to make is there's no reason for people to get upset over a simple difference of words.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 10-25-03, 04:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Semantics......Tomato's ...Tomatoes.
Old 10-25-03, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

I think the term 'common usage' should be changed to 'common mis-usage'

Login to remove ads
Old 10-25-03, 05:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Gary D.
Ignorance may be understandable, but is never excusable.

The average lay person does not know the difference between a Burmese python and Boa constrictor. Are you suggesting it is OK to use these names interchangeably, after all they are both Boids and are both constrictors?

GD
Have you tried the IGUANA? I hear it's great. IGUANA kabobs for all !!! EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA, EAT YOUR IGUANA ... This message brought to you by ssEATYOURIGUANAss.com
Old 10-25-03, 09:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JoeBradley Send a message via Yahoo to JoeBradley
Hey, Lisa,
Chase and I agree with you, Semantics, but this issue will never be resolved among the reptile community. It is right up there with "free handing hots" and "venomoids". If we all agreed on these issues this site would be boring.

Reverandsterlin,
I see what you and others are saying about the use of Venomous (which I use myself) and Poisonous. I just do not think that the "common" people should be reprimanded for using the wrong term. If my mechanic made fun of me everytime I told him there was a clinking noise coming from that "thingie" right there I would quit going to him. When people come up to me and ask me about the poisonous snake I gladly talk to them about it and hope to spark and interest within them to care about reptiles and then let them pick up on the "lingo" when they get into learning about them.

Joe
Old 10-25-03, 09:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

It's up there with the whole square/rectangle thing, too. All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares. All venoms are poison but not all poisons are venom. At least folks are in the ballpark, calling a shape a shape's name and a toxin a toxin's name. I am not going to lose sleep over people using or misusing any of these terms, there are bigger fish to fry.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 10-25-03, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ahhhh, come on Eyespy, I know you lay awake at night just trying to come up with ways to solve this slaughter of the herpetological language.

Joe
Old 10-25-03, 09:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Joe, I'd far rather lose sleep watching nocturnal herps and enjoying a strong cup of tea.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-03, 09:33 AM   #26 (permalink)

Poison birds...? Damn, I thought I made those up...LOL!
Old 10-26-03, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

I knew I had an old pic I had found somewhere

the hooded pitohui harbors the powerful neurotoxin Tetradotoxin
in its feathers. Chemically, this is an identical molecule to that
found in Central American poison dart frogs (genus Phyllobates).
Whether the toxin is produced by the bird, something in its diet,
or an associated bacterium is unknown.

Old 10-26-03, 09:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

oops

Old 10-26-03, 10:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

oh and the Ifrita kowaldi (another bird genus) in Africa was found with the same alkyloids

Old 10-26-03, 10:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

I wonder what the reason behind that is? Does the bird taste bad and the predator lets it go? Seems to serve no helpful purpose for the bird if him and the predator die.
Closed Thread