border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-03, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone have a pet bird?

My wife and I realized that the only thing we don't have is a bird. Of couse we can't agree on what to get.
So what do you have? What do you like/dislike about it? Also do you know of any good on line info sites? We are in the very beging stages of thinking here so once we pick a species then we'll look for more specific info on that type.
Thanks for all your coments,
Trevor
Login to remove ads
Old 10-11-03, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
I don't have one, but I love cockatoos. They are so pretty and friendly! But don't get one if you're busy because they'll beat themselves up if they don't get enough attention... and they can be loud.

Zoe
Old 10-11-03, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good to know, cause we are very busy. We're both out all day until at least 5 or 6 5 days a week.
Trevor
Old 10-11-03, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
Okay, then don't get a cockatoo. What size of bird are you looking into? And what price range?

Zoe
Old 10-11-03, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a lovebird as a first bird. They require alot of attention! I found ours to be very sensitive. After we moved into our first house from an apartment, he went beserk! Very friendly before and turnedd into a biting machine. Drawing blood on a regular basis. It came to where he wouldn't let us handle him. I tried many things, but he wouldn't tame. We ended up giving him to some people who were breeders and now is doing fine. He was also very messy with seed, cleaning under the cage constantly. I also found that you had watch closely while he was out, cause he would poop everywhere. Apparently, they are great birds if they will bond to you, we were just to inexperienced I guess. I did alot of research before I got him, but I guess that it doesn't amount to experience sometimes.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-11-03, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

I know, I know!!! I have been contemplating this same thing and found the perfect bird. A Senegal parrot. They are a small species about 9" and are very quite. They are extremely friendly right from the very beginning and DO NOT bite! They bond very well to anyone and are pretty neat and clean for a bird. You can teach them to talk and they love attention. Go to Yahoo and type in senegal parrot, it'll link you to a billion sites full of photos and info. Good luck!

Julie
Old 10-11-03, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to DarkHunter
If you are considering any of the larger parrots....you need time. They are birds that will pluck out their feathers and start self mutalation. I agree with Julie. Senegal's are great birds!!! I have a macaw and a cockatiel and 3 rescue budgies. I worked in a bird department at a pet store in ottawa for 2 years and have many more years exp. with birds....i would suggest anything smaller if you dont have huge amounts of time to spend with the bird. A green cheek conure is also a good option. If you have more specific questions you can email me at darkhunter35@hotmail.com im more than happy to help
~Shannon
Old 10-11-03, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Big birds scare the crap outta me. I don't much care to keep anything around that can take off a finger in a single snap Hyacinth Macaws are gorgeous though! I cannot have a bird but I was considering maybe getting one when I move downstairs and have more space. I think I would probably end up going with a budgie Love birds are too pretty but they make too much noise. Quakers are nice but outta my price range.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoe
I don't have one, but I love cockatoos. They are so pretty and friendly! But don't get one if you're busy because they'll beat themselves up if they don't get enough attention... and they can be loud.
Oh gawd are they ever loud! Drives me nuts. Also you have to be careful with them as they are notorious for bonding extremelyto one person and can be extremely agressive towards other people (we had to get rid of several cockatoos at my old job because of this... one just liked one person and one nly liked men - not great when the bird wants to go after all females customers and all of the staff are females as well!). Cockatoos are the neediest of all those birds.
Old 10-11-03, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I suggest for people who are semi busy, but want a loving bird. Get a cockatiel. No piercing sceam, beak too small for much damage. Don't eat a ton, don't go through toys like mad, don't need serious diets(seeds and veggies). We've had two and they were great. They don't lose their tameness easily. Seriously underrated birds, that are great for just having around.

We have an albino (lutino/ino) budgie and two ringneck doves.
Old 10-11-03, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to meow_mix450
ya i have a cockatiel, it only screams if it has no food or water, they are messy eaters, seeds everywhere, if u get a female she will lay eggs through the year, with out a male no babys so dont worry, ummmm i dont think they need much attention, cause im busy all day long, and it doesnt mind, i play with it once in a while...

Meow
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Login to remove ads
Old 10-11-03, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

I have monitors. They're pretty close to being birds.
Old 10-11-03, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Another million years and they may develop wings and fly Jeff.

Last edited by enso; 10-11-03 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-11-03, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to meow_mix450
whoa that would be pretty cool!
1.0 Jackson Chameleon
Old 10-11-03, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

We have a pet chicken (Rhode Island Red), that lays an egg every morning...

Jeff
Old 10-11-03, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to daver676
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim and Julie B
I know, I know!!! I have been contemplating this same thing and found the perfect bird. A Senegal parrot. They are a small species about 9" and are very quite. They are extremely friendly right from the very beginning and DO NOT bite! They bond very well to anyone and are pretty neat and clean for a bird. You can teach them to talk and they love attention. Go to Yahoo and type in senegal parrot, it'll link you to a billion sites full of photos and info. Good luck!

Julie
My friend had a Senegal and it was a BRAT! It would always be screaming at you if you were in the room, because it wanted out, but when you let it out, it would do anything to avoid you. Or it would land on your shoulder and bite your ear, and draw blood. My experiences with Senegals were not good. Plus some parrots live for 80 years or more!

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread