sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-03, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Originally posted by V.hb
I always thought the Green Anaconda was larger than a retic.. I rememebr reading somewhere that it was recorded alot larger.
Depends on how much proof you need. There are big differences between the largest documented anacondas, and the largest "reported" anacondas. There are people even today looking for 60' giants in the Amazon. I suspect the same holds for retics and other large species.

"The Anaconda is the largest snake in the world. The largest anaconda ever known was 100 feet long."

Although it is difficult to find an authentic record of the largest anaconda, a measurement of 37 1\2 foot has been widely accepted by scientist."

"Some people do not accept the 37 1/2 ft. Colombian anaconda because after shooting the snake and measuring it, the expedition went off and ate lunch before attempting to photograph and skin it. While they were gone, the snake, (apparently still alive) crawled or swam away."

On the subject of anacondas, if you like these guys and haven't read Jesus Rivas' work, you should. It can be found easily on the net.

Last edited by rwg; 10-10-03 at 03:16 PM..
Old 10-11-03, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Biggest doesn't nessassarily mean longest either.
Neo-Slither (Snake fanatic mailing list) http://<br />

May you live in interesting times.
Old 10-11-03, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to reptile boi
no no no, you gise got it all wrong the list goes

1. Retic
3.African rock
4.Scrub python

If i remember correctly thats how the order goes, scrubs are always the fourth one, on 2 different reptile shows killer instict and croc hunter they said that the largest scrub ever found was around 27ft long.

by the time you have
finished reading this you realize
that you have wasted
5 seconds of your life
Old 10-12-03, 10:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
I always thought the Green Anaconda was larger than a retic.. I rememebr reading somewhere that it was recorded alot larger.
There are reports of anacondas that exceed the record accepted length of the retic, but they are not currently being accepted by the scientific community. Guinness recognized a 42 conda as the largest ever for many years, but later changed their record to a 329 retic citing lack of evidence as the reason. Currently the longest scientifically accepted record is the 329 retic killed in Indonesia in 1912, follow by a close second Rock Python, 322, which was killed on the Ivory Coast in 1932.

I always thought that african rocks are smaller then burms.
In terms of averages, the burms are longer then the rocks. If you compare the largest specimens recorded, that unusual rock killed in 1932 boosts the rocks to second in terms of length.

Top fives: (in terms of average length)
1. Retic
2. Burmese
3. Anaconda
4. Rock
5. Scrub
Top five: (in terms of one time measures)
1. Retic
2. Rock
3. Burmese
4. Anaconda
5. Scrub
Top five: (in terms of reports)
1. Anaconda
2. Retic
3. Rock
4. Burmese
5. Scrub

I am not familiar with any cases of a carpet python exceeding 20, and do not believe they should be included in the top five.
__________________ 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 10-13-03, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Good chuck
Jason Allen
Myrtle Beach SC
Login to remove ads
Old 10-14-03, 05:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
I agree with you chuck your list sound right

Specializing in Large Pythons
Home of the "GIANTS"
Old 10-15-03, 04:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Sunrunner Send a message via Yahoo to Sunrunner
I must have been mistaking the carpet python for a scrub, my bad sorry about that!!
"Only through education do we teach the ignorant that which we love is not evil but wonderous"....

Closed Thread