sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you have insurance coverage for your reptiles???
Yes- I'm fully covered 4 6.90%
Yes- I think it's in my policy but not sure 6 10.34%
No- I can't find an insurance provider that will cover me 17 29.31%
No- i don't have enough reptiles 21 36.21%
Insurance who needs that nothings going to happen 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-04, 06:08 PM   #76 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Vengeance
C_Ellenzweig you sound as if you work for an insurance company, if that is the case does your company say it's ok to have snakes? I just went through 8 diffrent insurance brokers, none of them would insure me because of the fact I had snakes. I'm affraid to mention the fact they are illegal because of the by-law. MY current insurance company that we have on our apt gave us the ok, but I went to 8 major insurance companies and the second I mentioned snakes there was no way they would insure me.
Adam Becker

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
1.0 Cali King Snake (Weebl)
0.0.1 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle (Hootie)
Old 06-18-04, 02:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
Just wanted to say "Good Work" to Colin, and an excellent post, Jeff.

I also work in insurance, and everything Colin has said is correct.

It's not easy to interpret policies. Trust me! The company is not trying to screw anyone. But if they don't know ahead of time the risk they are taking, they don't look lightly on it. For example, if we issue a house policy, and later learn they have a welding business from their garage, they may refuse a fire claim due to the welding. The insureds should have told the company they were doing this, and obtained the correct coverage for this type of risk, which SHOULD cost more, because it's more of a risk than a regular homeowner would be.

Claims are paid to place you in the same situation you were before your loss. You are not allowed to profit/make money from a claim, you may only recoupe your losses.

It is a form of fraud to not disclose pertinent info to your insurance agent. Our application include a question asking if you have wild animals. If I'd said no, and my heat lamp burned my house down, I can see that they may refuse my claim, because they didn't know the risk they were taking with my policy.

However, as far as I can tell, the company is most concerned with liability. They just want to know that your little milksnake is not going to strangle your next-door neighbour! And like it or not, herps are not something the general public knows ANYTHING about! So, you must do your best to educate people in a professional way, if you want them to understand enough to give you a chance.
Old 06-18-04, 02:10 PM   #78 (permalink)

I previously asked Pilot Insurance if they had an issue with reptiles, and they said they would want to know the size but otherwise have no policy against them in effect.

Since I haven't actually insured my animals, I don't know if this would change if I were to actually try and insure them.

But if you are insured elsewhere you could always inquire with Pilot, and see what results you get.
Old 06-21-04, 04:55 PM   #79 (permalink)
first 3 pages of this was great info, thanks all. I'm thinking I might give the old insurance company a call(concidering I live @ my parents place now) wouldn't want to screw them over later on if something were to happen.
0.2 Leopard Gecko
0.2 Cen. American Banded Gecko
1.0 Bearded Dragon
Closed Thread