border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have insurance coverage for your reptiles???
Yes- I'm fully covered 4 6.90%
Yes- I think it's in my policy but not sure 6 10.34%
No- I can't find an insurance provider that will cover me 17 29.31%
No- i don't have enough reptiles 21 36.21%
Insurance who needs that nothings going to happen 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-04, 05:14 PM   #46 (permalink)

don't feed the beast

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Ellenzweig

If you really want your insurance lowered, write to your local MP. Tell them that you want legislation that limits medical fees and caps settlements on minor and soft-tissue claims.

Oh no, not trickle down economics!!! AHHHH!!! By that logic if General Motors built their cars in Chinese sweatshops for $5 each I could expect that they would voluntarily drop their prices to proportionately... hmmm a $45 Corvette sounds nice, tell me another one man. The fact is that when business makes money it doesn't kick any back to the consumer but rather continues to soak the customer as much as they can get away with while pocketing any additional cost savings.

Just wondering how long they held your eyelids open and forced you to watch insurance company propaganda vidoes. hahaha

PS. Yes, as a matter of fact I am very clever in my opinion! lol!
Old 02-03-04, 05:37 PM   #47 (permalink)

Well guess what clever guy... here's a kick in the nuts for ya. Public insurance cost approximately $200 more per policy. If you actually did some research, it probably wouldn't be so easy to make you look stupid. Everything I have said, I have backed up. You on the, other hand have yet to substantiate ANYTHING you'e said. Here is the proof that public insurance is more expensive - produced by the Fraser Institute - The most respected independent body for consumer awareness in Canada. (Not associated with the insurance industry or government in any way)

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared...sNav=nr&id=561

BTW - You can download the full report from a link in that article. It's actually pretty interesting.

Quote:
Oh no, not trickle down economics!!! AHHHH!!! By that logic if General Motors built their cars in Chinese sweatshops for $5 each I could expect that they would voluntarily drop their prices to proportionately... hmmm a $45 Corvette sounds nice, tell me another one man.
Wow buddy, you're not even comparing apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and dogs. What does "Trickle down econimics" have to do with the cost of operate a Property Liability Carrier in Canada? What does a $45 chinese corvette have to do with insurance?? I guess you're hoping that B-S will baffle minds. Or maybe you think people will be impressed with your vast (and so far incorrect) knowledge of business and economics. If you were actually as intelligent as you would like people to believe, you would probably have enough money that insurance costs wouldn't concern you. Obviously, that isn't the case.

Insurance premiums are regulated by FSCO (Financial Securities Commission of Ontario). Every year, every insurance company states their earning, cost of operations and intended rate. These rates are either approved or rejected by FSCO, a government organization. There are laws in place that prevent insurance companies from making too much profit on premiums.

You clearly have nothing to back up anything you say. You're doing nothing more than spewing ignorance. You can say whatever you like, but with every post, you lose more and more credibility. Keep it coming. I have access to every insurance related study ever done, more than enough to refute anything you could ever possibly come up with.
Old 02-03-04, 05:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

Hi Colin,

Here's a question for you, based on your previous statement "...most policies do exclude any damage cause DIRECTLY by animals. (Therefore a fire caused by a faulty heat lamp is covered, as it was not directly caused by the animal)"

What if your free-roaming iguana knocks over a lamp (heat lamp, desk lamp, doesn't matter) which is the cause of the fire that burns down your house?

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!
Old 02-03-04, 07:02 PM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
And damage caused by wild life? Ie rats chew through your electrical.

As for public insurance being more expensive... my practical experience says otherwise. I currently have basic coverage with rbc. When I was in vancover BC my insurance was 2/3s the cost of what i'm currently paying in Ontario, and bc considered me a new driver due to a glitch with transfering my licence from Ontario. when I moved to saskatchewan i was paying 1/2 of what I pay now and I was getting full coverage with a lower deductable. You can't say it's population density because when I lived in vancouver the population density was higher then where I am now in rural ontario.

I wish I could have kept my Saskatchewan Insurance but that could get stickey.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 02-03-04, 08:03 PM   #50 (permalink)

Hey Jeff,

If your iguana knocked your lamp over, you would be covered. It's an accident - that's what insurance is for. Fire is always covered.

Damage by wildlife is in no way covered. If you have an attic full of racoons, you're screwed.

As for public insurance being cheaper, this is a misconception. Public insurance is actually more expensive, just not on the surface. Who do you think pays the thousands of government employees to run organizations like the ICBC (Insurance Corp. of BC - government insurance) You pay those employees via provincial taxes. Same goes for the other operating expenses. The only thing that your premiums pay for in a public system is claims. On top of that, payout and benefits from public insurance are substantially less.

Also, I'm not sure how long ago you moved to Ontario, but over the last couple years, the price of insurance from the public sector has risen steeply. They have realized that their product was underpriced and now are under-reserved. (Reserves are money set aside for potential payouts. When you file a claim, the insurance company will set reserves, effectively locking up that money. As new info comes in [medical reports, repair estimates, etc...], the reserves are adjusted accordingly. This is to ensure the company can afford to pay all their claimants)

Honestly, there is no way I can explain it in this forum. If you truly are interested, check out the "Fraser Institute Report". In the article, there is a link to the full report. You seem like a pretty smart guy. I'm sure you'll have no trouble following it. I will post the link again.

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared...sNav=nr&id=561
Login to remove ads
Old 02-03-04, 08:06 PM   #51 (permalink)

And also, you gotta remember that there is a lot less to hit in Sask!
Old 02-03-04, 08:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Thanks for all this information. Especially about the heat tape thing....many people have told me that if heat tape causes a fire, you are basically screwed. But apparently (if i read this correctly) that is not always the case.

Anyways thanks for all that info.
Marisa
Old 02-03-04, 08:47 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

You can try whatever you want when it comes to receiving liability/fire insurance compensation for claimed damages...you can cry and jump up and down and jump through all the hoops they want you to jump through..but if they can find a way NOT to pay they will NOT PAY..PERIOD....an agent will say whatever he has to say to get his commission. If there is a person or people out there that can say whatever they want about the ethical and legal aspect to the GOOD in Insurance Companies... they are laughable. Liability insurance is government backed theivery...nuf said.....oh ya If you believe that I am moron to state this..I am loving it moronically...lol
Old 02-03-04, 09:02 PM   #54 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by C_Ellenzweig
And also, you gotta remember that there is a lot less to hit in Sask!
Yes but there's alot more to hit in vancouver. and that's not commenting on the other drivers abilities.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 02-03-04, 09:11 PM   #55 (permalink)

If we start to see a trend of ridiculously high claim amounts like the US, I really dread to see what it will do to rates.
We're currently plaintiffs in a lawsuit, and I wouldn't even consider asking for 6 digits, let alone the 7 or 8 digit payouts that get approved in civil courts down south.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-03-04, 09:24 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
You can try whatever you want when it comes to receiving liability/fire insurance compensation for claimed damages...you can cry and jump up and down and jump through all the hoops they want you to jump through..but if they can find a way NOT to pay they will NOT PAY..PERIOD....an agent will say whatever he has to say to get his commission.
Once again Chas*e, you've demonstrated your complete ignorance and lack of knowledge. Insurance brokers are the ones who make commission. They sell insurance. Claims adjusters handle claims. They are paid salary, not commission. Adjusters make the same amount whether they payout or deny a claim. Their job is in no way to "screw you". Their job is to reach a fair settlement. If you try to screw us, we will win. But otherwise claims are usually settled fairly.Your broker has no say at all. Brokers do not work for the insurance company. They get paid for sales, not low claim records. Adjusters DO NOT look for a way not to pay, but they also investigate questionable claims.

In fact, as a Claims Audit Analyst, I participate in claims reviews regularily. In a recent study, we found a few files that we felt were underpaid for various reasons (out of several hundred). We immediately sent the insureds cheques (for a total of a few thousand $$) for what we felt was fair. These claims were all closed for a long period of time. The insureds were in no way expecting OR requesting any money for us. So, Chas*e, if that's thievery, sign me up to be a victim.

When it comes down to it, you are probably bitter because you tried to inflate a claim and got denied. Either that, or you are just one of those paranoid people who believes that everyone is out to get them. Either way, nobody needs to hear your constant senseless babbling. You don't know what you're talking about. Period.

Spend some time looking at Claims Satisfation Ratings and you'll quickly realize that most people who have filed claims in Canada and happy with their settlements.

Oh and by the way, there is no such thing as liability/fire insurance. They are two seperate lines. Do you even understand the definition of "liability"? Obviously not, so here you go:

liability: The state of being liable

liable: Bound or obliged in law or equity; *responsible; answerable*; as, the surety is liable for the debt of his principal.

What does that have to do with a fire in your own home. Liability applies to damage you cause to others. Once again - you have no clue at all.
Old 02-03-04, 09:35 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
If we start to see a trend of ridiculously high claim amounts like the US, I really dread to see what it will do to rates.
That is exactly what is happening in Ontario. The court are issueing higher and higher rewards. The legislation that was put in place to reduce benefit payouts (bill 198) has become so "watered-down" that it is actually doing the opposite. We need legislation that puts a cap on pain & suffering payouts and soft tissue injuries.

Quote:
We're currently plaintiffs in a lawsuit, and I wouldn't even consider asking for 6 digits, let alone the 7 or 8 digit payouts that get approved in civil courts down south.
I'm not saying that nobody falls through the cracks. There are people out there who are entitled to compensation and have not recieved it. (You very well may be one of them, I don't the specifics of your case) There are avenues available to pursue this compensation. (Ombudsman, courts, mediation, arbitration, etc...) I'm glad to see that you are being realistic with your figures. I hate how people feel they should be rewarded because of an unfortunate incident. The insurance company didn't injure them in any way, yet they feel it should be rewarded. (even though it costs all insureds in the end)

Best of luck to you and I truly hope you recieve any money you are entitled to.

Colin
Old 02-03-04, 10:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Insurance dude,

It's fitting that the same person that would point to a study done by the HEAVILY right wing biased Fraser Institute (isn't a guy named Mike Harris somehow associated with them? Need I say more about the "institute"?) would equate wealth with intellect? Consider for a second that some intelligent people may choose to put their minds toward something productive and beneficial to society rather than toward their own greed.

Point to all the skewed studies done by the greedheads at right wing think tanks and the lies told by the industry itself you like, it won't change the simple fact that a public system is cheaper for the driver because it isn't designed to bilk the captive consumer.

The bottom line is that all companies are designed for a single purpose and that is to generate profit for their investors. If it were true that insurance companies weren't raking in profits then it begs the question: Why are haven't they gone bankrupt and left town? Is this charity work they're doing?

I won't spout insults back at you though because I understand that why you're getting so upset. If the truth gets out about the racket you're in you'll likely all be rounded up and thrown in prison and if I were the one filling my pockets on the backs of people with real jobs I wouldn't want that to happen to me. Then you would all have to work for a living and what could be worse than that?lol!
Old 02-03-04, 10:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

To C. Ellenzweig ..OK.. I am not going to sit by and be called a thief by some jerk like yourself...I have never inflated an insurance claim..you moron...I am not going to listen/read your diluted brainwashed crap any longer from an ******* such as yourself...ps..If you want to see bitter..give me a phone call or better yet meet me somewhere..I am sure there will be an insurance claim there somewhere...charlie..1-905-571-6090....
Old 02-03-04, 10:48 PM   #60 (permalink)

Easy there Chuck, remember you're dealing with organized crime here... you don't want some goons from the Fraser Institute showing up at your house. LOL!! The Fraser Institute ahahahahaha I'm still laughing about that one...
Closed Thread