border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-03, 09:48 AM   #61 (permalink)

I donít suppose many will read that, but now they can not say they only have that video to base things on. =)
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 08-28-03, 10:20 AM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
I read it that thing took forever. the only part i skipped was the references. will look over that part when i'm not so tired. Thanks for more insite Chuck.
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 08-28-03, 10:21 AM   #63 (permalink)

That took me for ever to read (I have to scroll back and forth with my browser) but I enjoyed it, very informative. I'm not converting just yet but I can see where they're coming from for sure. I was raised Pentacostal myself and grasp the concept of protection and healing by the Holy Spirit. I found the socio-economic side of the history especially interesting. The suggestion that they used these rituals to demonstrate that God is on their side and not on the side of the "evil capitalist" mine owners made me wonder if the modern snake handlers form part of the pro-capitalist religious right in America. I saw a documentary done in the '70's about some Kentucky miners that were trying to unionize. The owners hired scabs to replace them and used bats, clubs and guns to penetrate the workers picket line. I didn't think much of it at the time but these workers were constantly praying and calling on God to help them and there families to overcome the company's "gun thugs". I wonder now if some of the workers might have been snake handlers. Even if they were not, their faith and their circumstance, even their geography was very simillar. If the modern snake handlers are now Republicans at the voter's booth I find this to be very conflicted. It doesn't jive with the idea of also having miner's union meetings at the local church as those workers had. I know you've dug up a lot of info already, SCR but I'm hoping you can further enlighten me on the political beliefs of this very interesting group of people.
Old 08-28-03, 10:58 AM   #64 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lizzy001 Send a message via MSN to Lizzy001
i'v seen it....

they most need medical help of some kind and of course pyschiolical too!!
Old 08-28-03, 11:00 AM   #65 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
That really wasn't needed IMHO...

I don't feel these people are off their rockers, I do not feel they are stupid and I certainly don't feel they need help.

I never insulted them but I do find the fact they are more willing to die than spread their message wrong. But your comments above are so uncalled for in a thread like this.

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 08-28-03, 02:19 PM   #66 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lordkovacs
ya, please explain yourself more clearly chuch! haha...j/k!
Old 08-28-03, 03:29 PM   #67 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
Geez drewlowe, your avatar is creepy! *L*

I've never seen that show, but it sure sounds messed up.
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens

Last edited by TheRedDragon; 08-28-03 at 03:37 PM..
Old 08-28-03, 04:45 PM   #68 (permalink)

RD, the clown is from Stephen King's movie It. Go ahead and rent it... if you dare! :jawdrop:
Old 08-28-03, 08:17 PM   #69 (permalink)

RD, how about the girl in your avatar, is she featured in any movies? LOL! just playin
Old 08-28-03, 11:28 PM   #70 (permalink)

All in all I think it's ok to argee to disagree, let's remember the most important thing.....love one another =o)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-29-03, 01:41 AM   #71 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Bryce Masuk Send a message via Yahoo to Bryce Masuk
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Omen
Strichnine is also what is used to make acid for the trippers here
Sorry wrong I dont feel like writing out a complete responce so i will copy and paste this was written by alexander t shulgin

"The observation of strychnine as being present in any street drug, as a by-product, or a contaminant, or an impurity has never been documented. It is a natural plant product, as are the ergots which are used in the synthesis of LSD. But they come from totally unrelated plants; there has never been a report of strychnine and an ergot alkaloid co-existing in a single species. So if the two materials are together in a drug sample, it could only be by the hand of man. I have personally looked a large number of illicit street offerings and have never detected the presence of strychnine. The few times that I have indeed found it present, have been in legal exhibits where it usually occurred in admixture with brucine (also from the plant Strychnos nux-vomica) in criminal cases involving attempted or successful poisoning.

The same argument applies to the myth that occasionally surfaces, that strychnine occurs in the white tufts of peyote. This is equally fraudulent -- it has never been reported in that cactus or any other cactus."
Furthermore, it should probably be spelled out that strychnine is not needed to bond LSD to blotter paper, nor is strychnine a breakdown product of LSD. these are probably the two most commonly repeated gross misconceptions.

The source of the "strychnine is commonly found in LSD" myth may be somewhat grounded in truth. For example, in "LSD: My Problem Child" Albert Hofmann cites a case in the late sixties of Strychnine being found in an "LSD" sample that was a white powder. However, what is commonly claimed is that strychnine is found in a significant percentage of LSD, specifically blotter LSD, which is *not* true. Shulgin's note that he has analyzed many samples of LSD and never found strychnine is backed up by published analyses done by PharmChem and the LA County Street Drug Analysis program, which likewise never found any strychnine.

This is intuitively backed up by the fact that a 5mm x 5mm "standard" square of blotter LSD only weights about 2mg and if the paper itself was made completely out of pure strychnine it is still on the very low end of Strychnine's threshold of activity.

Strychnine is not the cause of tracers, cramps, nausea, or amphetamine-like LSD-effects. Its possible that poorly synthesized LSD might have other ergot derivatives in it, which might contribute to the harsh body load that some get on taking LSD. Also, the very close chemical relatives 1-Methyl-LSD and 1-Acetyl-LSD (which break down into LSD in aqueous solution) might be present in some street samples and might contribute to the harsh body load. (Petter Stafford has claimed in his _Psychedelics Encyclopedia_ that 1-Acetyl-LSD is supposedly "smoother" than d-LSD -- thus "strychnine laced acid" may acutally be pure d-LSD, while "pure lsd" may be 1-Acetyl-LSD or some substitute). And the chemicals iso-LSD and lumi-LSD which are breakdown products of LSD might contribute to the body loading on some trips, particularly via a hypothetical synergistic effect. Given this plethora of possible chemicals in street "LSD", its not needed to look to a chemical which has hardly ever been found in analyzed samples to explain variations in the strength and "cleanliness" of street acid.

Its also possible that LSD itself simply causes adverse physical effects, particularly muscle cramping, in persons suceptible to it. The reported side effects of LSD (the nausea and apparent CNS stimulant effects) are commonly reported side effects of seritonergic drugs such as fluoxetine (Prozac) and buspirone (Buspar), and also are commonly reported (and typically more severe) with other psychedelics like Mescaline.

Or its quite likely that the "strychnine" reactions to LSD are entirely psychosomatic. Both Leary ("The Psychedelic Experience") and Lilly ("Programming and Metaprogramming...", "Center of the Cyclone") have each observed this reaction in people who cannot handle the surge of emotion associated with a trip.

Further advice would be to avoid methylxanthines (caffiene, theophylline in tea, etc) prior to dosing. Some have noted a possible synergistic effect between them and LSD causing, or contributing, to a harsh body load during a trip. And prior use of dramamine may alleviate the nausea sometimes associated with LSD, and other psychedelic drugs (although it may also effect the quality of the trip -- Shulgin has noted in PiHKAL that he shuns the use of anti-nauseants in order to experience the effects of the psychedelic, both good and bad, with no possible interference).

In summary, it can't be said that we know specifically why sometimes acid feels "cleaner" than other times. However, based on the availability of plausible explanations, and the evidence of drug analysis, and general implausiblity of the whole strychnine concept, we can conclude that it isn't due to any concentration of strychnine. Also, while it can't completely be ruled out, the presence of strychnine in LSD is so minimal that the majority of LSD users will never once come across it."
"Far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement, but few can argue with it."
Old 08-31-03, 12:34 AM   #72 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
Quote:
Originally posted by MouseKilla
RD, how about the girl in your avatar, is she featured in any movies? LOL! just playin
Yeah, it's called "How the Dragon squashed the wee Mouse Killa" *LOL*

Corr: Yeah, I've seen the movie and read/own the book. The knowledge of what that clown is makes it all the more creepy. *L*
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens
Old 08-31-03, 12:56 PM   #73 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Lizard
In my opinion anyone who willfully risks life and serious injury either for kicks or as a testament to their faith or machismo is being irresponsible. Risking one's self is commendable only when it is for the purpose of protecting the safety of another or advancing knowledge for the benefit of others.
I have no problem with saying that to anyone whether they agree with me or not, regardless of the risk of an a$$-whoopin'.

V.salvator 0.1

German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany's contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian Griffin: Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.

----Family Guy---
Old 08-31-03, 01:19 PM   #74 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Quote:
The knowledge of what that clown is makes it all the more creepy.
Oohhhh.... tell me.. what is it? Now I want to see the movie!
Old 08-31-03, 01:29 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
I have no problem with saying that to anyone whether they agree with me or not, regardless of the risk of an a$$-whoopin'.
I never said that I or them would whoop anyone for disagreeing, I said it would happen if you went to Sand Mtn and called them names like Nut case and inbreed. People come to the services all the time and do not agree with what they do. They are fine with it. They welcome me every time I go. They are warm loving people for the most part. I will be happy to take anyone from this site to a true serpent handling service any Friday night. You can meet them and see what they are like first hand. Disagree and they will talk to you. Shoot your mouth off, like some did on this thread, and I will have carry you off Sand Mtn on my shoulder. =) Is that clear?
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread