border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-03, 06:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

We live at the foot of Sand Mountain which is the Mecca of snake handling. It was founded in Cleveland, TN about 30 miles north of us. We know many snake handlers and I have been in many snake handling services. I have seen them live and to answer some of your questions, no they are not venomoids. No they do not cool the snakes before they handle them. If you are skeptical, Pastor Billy Summerfield of the Rock House Holiness Church in Section, AL will take up any snake that YOU bring in. These people are among the most committed and steadfast people I know. They have integrity that many of you here will only wish to have. All of you that have things to say about these people, come on down to Sand Mtn and say it to their face! I seriously doubt anyone will, but you can meet me in Chattanooga, TN and I will guide you right up to Sections. They hold a service every Friday night. And yes there are education and articulate snake handlers. Read the book Salvation on Sand Mountain. The author came to Scottsboro, AL to write a book on the handlers and ends up converting to that religion. I donít know what you saw on TV, but I do not know any church that allows anyone under 18 to take up a serpent. In Section you canít even leave the handling area with one. I take this issue very seriously. I am a devote Christian as well as a republican. =) These people are a bit misguided in doctrine, but they are still my brothers.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 08-27-03, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just to echo what J-Man said - Stereotyping is wrong. Just because a handful of irresponsible snake handlers make it on TV doesn't mean that ALL snake handlers behave that way. ALL Christians don't behave that way either.

"I'm glad that they aren't the one's that are out there tryin to convert people...."

Spreading the gospel has much more basis in scripture than handling snakes. If you are referring to the door to door tatics of the Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), then this is yet another stereotype unfairly placed on Christians.
Old 08-27-03, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
Chuck This one had the people dancing all around the church with the snakes. They were also passing the snakes around while people were jumping and dancing all around even while holding the snakes and there were children involved. They were pulling out limp snakes from a drawer. The church looked way run down like a 100 year old shack. They had small interviews with a few of the people and their not what you would call smart folk (not even close to it). Maybe the one you have been to and that you have such high respects for is different, but this one was horrible. For me i don't care how knowledgable a person is I personally would never take part in something like that. Even if i was with a well trained venomus keeper there is no way i would even hold one with a hook much less take a chance in my life to freehandle one. Maybe i'm not spiritual enough but nope noway not me.
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 08-27-03, 08:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Corr i Know not all Christians are like this and not all churches belive in handling snakes. I myself have been to several different churches with different religions. I was not trying to sterotype anyone or anything. I commented on a show i seen last night. Maybe this is just the worst snakehandling church out there. I have heard of this before but that was the first time i had seen it. The point of the thread wasn't to bad mouth churches or even tring to sterotype them i didn't know how this was possible as all the snakes were limp they were passing them around and dancing with them on top of that drinking 100% strichnine. With children involved also. That is taking it a little too far in my eyes.

Rach and bruce HaHa you don't like my clown. For those that don't know who he is... It's Pennywise from Stephen Kings (book and movie) IT. Great book and movie!!!! One of my favorites. Pennywise takes many forms but the clown is the one most commonly used because it lures children in closer HAHAHAHA....
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 08-27-03, 08:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
kinda like imbred people. (LOL)
Seems to me your point was to cast dispersions on these people and no other purpose. And even though they may be inbreed, they can probably still spell inbreed correctly. I am very disappointed in you. Prior to this I have respected most of what you had to say. You should really come down and meet these people, you would be quite surprised. They are the salt of the earth. For the most part they are poor and not well educated. They work harder then most of us could imagine and they still get together 4 and 5 times a week to worship. They work 12 and 14 hours during the day, then meet at church and worship and have a great time of fellowship up until about midnight, then they are up at sunrise the next morning working again. I wish more of the world could be like these ďnut cases.Ē Yes Rachel, I am very disappointed in you as well. And no, there views do not change when someone dies. They will tell you up front, it happens. The scripture says to take them up Mark 16:18, it does not say you will not get bit. Many have given their lives for what they believe in. How many people do you know that has died for a belief? I would bet none. Pictured here is Punkin Brown. He died in the late 90ís at Billyís church after a timber bite, his wife died a few years before in KY after a timber bite. They left behind 5 children, who will be the next generation of snake handlers. Itís the lifestyle they know and love. They wouldnít have it any other way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg punkinbrown.jpg (4.7 KB, 75 views)
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Login to remove ads
Old 08-27-03, 09:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Chuck As for my spelling, don't care point out all my mistakes it doesn't bother me in the slightest not everyone on this site spells every single word they write in every single post correctly. You really want to point out my mistakes then write about my grammar. I even think i spelled that wrong. I have the worst grammar ever!!!!

i said something like these people look all messed up kinda like inbreed people. Mabey not everyone that does this looks like that. It was in reference to the people i saw on the show. Maybe i'm partialy close minded but there is noway that anybody would willinly get me to walk into a place that does something like that. I personaly would not risk my life.

The place you discribed is different from what i had seen on tv. You said they have an area for the snake handling to be done the place they showed did not they were dancing all around the place and even passing snakes around the whole chruch. Another thing you said was that nobody under 18 can hold a snake well this place had children doing it even holding it to the childrens faces. You also said that the place you have gone to doesn't cool down the snakes. This place all the snakes were completly limp they appeared to me cooled down. (makes me wish i had taped it now). Maybe they just showed the worst of all of them and it cast a bad light on snake handling in the way they did it (for me). I was in a state of disbelief the whole time i was watching the show.
Old 08-27-03, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

No need to tape it, I have seen it and many others like it. They are all crap and deliberately edited to make things look worse then they really are. There are no reports on the market that give a true representation of these people. Perhaps I will do my own. Showing them all working backbreaking jobs during the day, then meeting at night to worship and have a good time. Sure you and some of these other spineless pieces of crap can take pot shots at them on the internet, but I know none of you would stand face to face with them and say it. While they are unusual in what they do, they stand steadfast and do not bow to political correctness or any other Democrat backed new age ideas. You will never see a gay deacon in a snake handling church. =)
Old 08-27-03, 09:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Drewlowe, my comment was not directed specifically at you. I just wanted to clarify that before this thread got into a Christian bash. I would love to discuss this whole issue and that won't be possible if the thread gets closed.

BTW, I don't think the fact that these people are poor, not intelligent, and hold their worship in a shack has anything to do with it. Also, noone is asking you to participate. I wouldn't either.

Chuck, I always thought it was spelled INBREAD.

Oh, and that clown scares the crap out of me too! I'll never forget the scene where he's peering out of the sewer drain.
Old 08-27-03, 10:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

Then maybe you should do a documentry on these people and there practices to shed the correct light on the subject. I can only go off of what was portraied in the show i watched( i know you cannot belive every thing you see on tv). If i could i would sit down and have a conversation with them, but with the way i was raised and the things i belive in i don't think my opinion would change. Call me spineless piece of crap all you want but taking worship to that level is way to far for me.

Haha corr eveyone says that. I have a guy friend who won't watch the movie cause the scene where they have IT walking though the sheets makes him cry.
Old 08-27-03, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

Woah, I'm not getting into the religious thing... to much thin ice there, but I couldn't help but notice some things that Chuck said, and I have a couple of questions:

Quote:
Sure you and some of these other spineless pieces of crap can take pot shots at them on the internet, but I know none of you would stand face to face with them and say it.
and...

Quote:
You will never see a gay deacon in a snake handling church. =)
1. Is this the loving, understanding, 'turn the other cheek' Christianity that I thought I was familiar with?

2. Surely opinions ranging from "they're all inbred loonies" to "they're all upstanding salt of the earth people" are just that: OPINIONS! Isn't everyone entitled to theirs?

And, yes, I would stand in front of your friends and speak my opinions! Although why my opinion should mean anything to them is beyond me, in the same way that their opinion and beliefs mean nothing to me! Just don't hurt the snakes, is all I'd say! What people do to themselves and their own children in our free societies is entirely up to them, as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 02 pence. Not deliberately trying to offend anyone, but I don't like closed mindedness in public places no matter what form it takes, and this whole thread seems to have needled me for some reason!

take care,
Brig.
Old 08-27-03, 11:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Is this the loving, understanding, 'turn the other cheek' Christianity that I thought I was familiar with?
The bible tells you to come as you are, so we would welcome in a homosexual who is seeking Christ and willing to turn from that sin. We would certainly not welcome in a practicing homosexual who wishes to continue that life style. In the old testament God told his chosen people to kill them, in the new testament Paul tells us to separate ourselves from them and calls them an abomination.

Drewlowe, I didnít call you a spineless piece of crap, I said you and these other Ö but I do hold that opinion of anyone who would call people names on the net but not to their face. And I frankly do not believe any of you would go to Sand Mountain and call any of them Inbreed or nut case. You may say something like, I donít agree with you, but hell I tell them that all the time. Years of that kind of work makes MEN. Real men. These good old boys will smack a knot on your head quick.
Old 08-27-03, 11:37 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I do not see how putting your life in danger has anything to do with believing in Jesus Christ or whatever you believe in. The bible also says treat your body as a temple.

Yes I would tell them that putting themselves at risk from a serious venoumous snake bite is wrong, right to their face...why are they going to beat me up?. How would you feel about all the bad press if one of them gets bitten and dies? Maybe you wouldn't care but I can bet some of the other hot keepers who fight this press everyday would care.

I do not feel getting bitten by a deadly snake and dying is "standing up for my beliefs" And you are talking about them "smacking knots" what type of Christians are these who are willing to beat someone up because they don't agree? That is just childish. Fist fighting? Are you kidding me?

Marisa
Old 08-27-03, 11:41 AM   #28 (permalink)

SCReptiles -
I gotta ask - what does 'smack a knot on your head quick' mean?

I'm not joking - I'm 'foreign'! This phrase intrigues me.

cheers,
Brig.
Old 08-27-03, 11:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
This is o.k. for the hobby and venemous in general? Or are should I not post this on the net and just bring it to the rumble I may have with some devotees?

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/102...022980031.html

Someone DIED in this article. What did their life serve? I guess God didn't love him enough. Maybe the better choice would have been to spread his message about Jesus and God to other people who don't know about him yet, but now he can't do that because he just HAD to handle a venemous snake.

Very sad indeed.

Marisa
Old 08-27-03, 11:47 AM   #30 (permalink)

so if my wife gets killed handling snakes and then i go out and do it to they should take a way my children. that is the worst parinting I have herd of. That man was so conserd about his"religon" that he forgot a bout his children that to me is a bad person
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread