sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-03, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking Woohoo!!! I Dit It!

This will sound absolutely ridiculous to the majority of you but I've made a huge step tonight in overcoming my phobia and I'm unbelievably proud of myself! I just had to tell someone! lol

Since my early teens, I have had an insane and intense phobia of grasshoppers and crickets. I have at home snakes, lizards, tarantulas and rats all of which I love dearly and scare most people. But one of the things I am most deathly phobic about are the darned crickets!!!

Throw some moderate to severe generalized anxiety disorder and mixing me with crickets was a mess!!! You want to see a grown woman have a histerical fit and cry like a two year old? Throw a cricket my way and you'll get that very quickly!!! LOL

Anyways, I recently acquired 2 beautiful new tarantulas (thanks Rob ) and one is still a youngster, therefore I have pretty much no choice but to feed it crickets. In the past when I've fed crickets to my tarantulas, I got their meal portion in separate bags and as soon as I got home, snipped a corner and dumped them into the tanks with the T's.

That alone took me over a year to do myself! I had my bf or friends do it for me before or fed pinky mice since my first two T's were pretty much full grown when I got them. Since I got my new T's, I figured I really had to work on getting rid of my phobia. My first "lesson" was when I went to the reptile shop to get feeders, I asked them if I could "play" in the tanks to get over my fear. The workers thought it was hilarious and of course I had to be brave in front of them!!! Didn't touch any but stuck my hand in a tank with hundreds and shook around the egg carton pieces.

I took home a couple of dozen that day and set them up in a critter keeper. My bf has been in charge of fishing out the crickets for me and throwing them in the T's tanks but tonight I felt especially daring.

I actually went in the container, got a cricket and fed it to my T!!!!!

This is SO huge for me, I still can't believe I dit it!!! 45 minutes later my heart is still pounding some!

Silly Pixie!
Keeper of 5 snakes, leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 20+ tarantulas, 2 dogs & a bunch of rats!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-03, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
good onya

In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Old 08-17-03, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old 08-17-03, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
I can't stand crickets either or spiders for that matter! Good job. You're brave.
Cranwill's Captive Bred Snakes
Old 08-17-03, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Please Email Boots
Good job When Tim bought me my first reptile, a leo later named Fatty cause she had a partial tail, I had to get him to bag up the crix for feeding, my phobia wasn't as severe as yours. It took me about 6 months to get them myself. Now, no prob, but I won't touch the mealies though. Ewwwwww

So congrats on your progress,
Julie B.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-03, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
Good for you for getting over you fear. That's one of the many reasons why I want to get a help me get over my arachnaphobia.
Erin Keller :eb:
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens
Old 08-17-03, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Awesome job, their not so bad after all

Old 08-18-03, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words folks

I still can't believe that I did it!!! Hehehe! Never thought I'd ever get the nerve to myself, rubber gloves helps TONS!!! lol

The fact that my phobia stopped me from taking care of some of my animals entirely really bugged me and it prevented me from getting some other kinds of animals. No more! I will not let crickets rule my life and choices! lol

Nothing like new pets for motivation

Keeper of 5 snakes, leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 20+ tarantulas, 2 dogs & a bunch of rats!
Old 08-18-03, 05:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Emily-Fisher
Good Job Anny!!! Now you can come over and babysit my frogs!
Old 08-18-03, 05:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Pookie
Excellent work! It's good to see someone who's determined to take care of her animals the right way! Those crickets are pretty ugly lookin!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-18-03, 06:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to daver676
Way to go Pixie!!

Hip Hip HOORAY!!

Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians - Worldwide Listings <-- Highly recommended.
Nutrient Composition of Whole Vertebrate Prey

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn. We ****ed up!"
Old 08-18-03, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Best way to overcome a phobia is to just jump in and get in its face... good on ya for having the guts pixie!!
Yah but have you ever smelled cheese? Some of it stinks eh?
Old 08-18-03, 07:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Congratulations. I don't know if i'll ever be over my fear of bugs.
Neo-Slither (Snake fanatic mailing list) http://<br />

May you live in interesting times.
Old 08-18-03, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127
Good for you. I can handle any insects that I have to feed my herps, altho crix are my least favorite to deal with. Yuck! However, I myself cannot stand any type of invertebrate.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."-Unknown
Old 08-18-03, 07:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
Congrats for you. Mealworms aren't as bad as crix. I don't really care for crix. to much, but got used to them. Plus i grew up with a bunch of boys so insects don't bother me.
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread