border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-03, 07:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
Way to go girl !!! I have a phobia of bugs with many legs. Soon I shall get scorpions; then a tarantula & lastly a centipede or millipede. with any luck I'll overcome, too !!!
Old 08-18-03, 08:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

That is awsome pixie congrats on the big step....next is the fear factor eating of the crickets
Old 08-18-03, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

LOL Colonel SB!!!!!!

Fat chance of that ever happening!!! I'm not afraid of the Madagascar hissing cockroaches but I wouldn't eat one for any amount of money, especially alive!!! It's beyond me that people can do it!

Smaller bugs, I can understand more. But those big buggers are a huge bite which means lots of guts and it's gotta squirm in your mouth some! Ewww, I don't think I could stomach the feel of little legs on my tongue.

I'm pretty sure I could handle softbodied worms though... Still wouldn't do it unless a nice pile of cash was involved! LOL

Pixie
Old 08-18-03, 12:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilyskip
way to overcome fear! woohoo!
Old 08-20-03, 11:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Right on Pixie!! You did the best thing. Overcoming fear by confronting it directly. I don't know if I'll ever be over my personal fear of spiders, but I am going to go skydiving to get over my fear of heights. I may let Dragon get a T soemday to help me get over my fear... but no until I have antivenom. (I have a level 3 allergy. One bite from a T, I'm dead. Plain and simple.) So, it's not spiders that I'm afraid of, it's death by asphyxiation that I'm afraid of.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-20-03, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Mealworms aren't bad kind of nutty, like almonds.
Old 08-20-03, 12:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Invictus: What kind of allergy do you have? How can you know that you're allergic to tarantulas without having been exposed to their venom before?

Are you allergic to bees and wasps by any chance? I've never heard of a level 3 allergy before and have studied some nursing, would love an explanation.

It is a good thing to be extra cautious around T's if you're allergic to bee and wasp stings. Surprisingly though, I just found out that an avid tarantula keeper is allergic to bees and wasps but not to tarantula venom, he has been bitten. I thought that was quite surprising!

Pixie

P.S. I still wont eat worms just for the fun of it, gotta be some $$$ involved!
Old 08-20-03, 12:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pixie
P.S. I still wont eat worms just for the fun of it, gotta be some $$$ involved!
Wrap them in bacon... everything seems to be delicious when you cook it in bacon LOL
Old 08-20-03, 01:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pixie
Invictus: What kind of allergy do you have? How can you know that you're allergic to tarantulas without having been exposed to their venom before?
I was told their poison is almost identical to bees and wasps, which I am extremely allergic to. I can even die from mosquito bites. If I get even one mosquito bite, I get hives all over my body, swelling in the hands and feet, and eventually the throat if I don't take antihistamines.

Quote:
I've never heard of a level 3 allergy before and have studied some nursing, would love an explanation.
That's the term my doctor used. He said level 1 is your basic allergic reaction - localized swelling and irritation, itching, etc. Level 2 is a more widespread reaction which includes the symptoms I listed above - hives, rashes, etc. Level 3 is anaphylaxis - throat swelling and compression of the windpipe resulting in death (for the laypersons here, I'm not patronizing you Pixie). I have the third level reaction to insect bites. And if a single mosquito bite can do that to me, imagine what a bee, wasp, or tarantula could do.

Quote:
It is a good thing to be extra cautious around T's if you're allergic to bee and wasp stings. Surprisingly though, I just found out that an avid tarantula keeper is allergic to bees and wasps but not to tarantula venom, he has been bitten. I thought that was quite surprising!
I've heard of that before as well, but I seem to react to any and all insect and arachnid venom the same way. I've even had garden spider bites that lead to a harsh reaction. Even knowing the possibility is there for me to die from a T bite is enough for me not to want to take the chance of owning one as a pet.
Old 08-20-03, 01:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Most tarantula venoms are extremely weak... even weaker than garden spiders in many cases. If you would get something like a rose hair (Grammastola Rosea) or a pink toe (avicularia avicularia) the chances of you getting bitten are VERY VERY low... in fact I don't know of a pink toe ever biting someone before. That particular species just never seems to want to bite. Rose hairs are very mellow and fairly slow spiders that are well known for their docility.

A lot of tarantula bites that I hear and read about are dry bites too.

Basically with the more placid species of spider (like pink toes, rose hairs, PZB's or chacos) if you dont muck with them your chances of being bitten are pretty much zero. I presume you won't be trying to handle them anyway so that decreases the slim to none chance of a bite even more.

If you would like, I extend this offer to you or dragon... I will give you a rose hair tarantula free of charge (pay the shipping and she is all yours) It will be worth it to me to see 2 more cases of arachnophobia cured
Old 08-20-03, 06:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
Are you serious Chris??? I'd ABSOLUTELY be delighted to take one! I don't know about Invictus though, but, hopefully he'll let me!
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens
Old 08-20-03, 06:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

It's not about that. We could get 2 for what it would cost to ship one out here. That offer was super cool of you though Chris. Thank you. I will be sure to let you all know if I do decide to allow one in the house. In the mean time, I'm growing fond of the idea of an Emperor Scorp.....
Old 08-20-03, 06:56 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Clownfishie Send a message via MSN to Clownfishie
Wooohoo! Congrats, great job... I can imagine myself ever getting over my spider phobia enough to actually go near a tarantula... lol...

Gecko Haven
Old 08-20-03, 07:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

yay! well done!
i completely spaz out every time a cricket jumps on me at work!! we have these tweezers which are about 1 metre long, which come in handy for squishing!! we also used to have this really greedy beardie who we launch at any loose or left over crickets i mostly just vacum them up.... im so glad i dont empty it!
although my college lecturer made me shove my hand into a tank full of crickets a few weeks back.... shudder... it did help though
Old 08-20-03, 08:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
Good Job Pixie! I have the EXACT same problem.....And that is what is preventing me from getting a darling little leo that I am always seeing.........

Mischief~ Hamster
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread