border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-03, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA (Snake feeding comment)

So today I went to a petstore by me to see if they had frozen rats. the girl working there said they would be in the freezer if they did (which I had checked and there were none) So she asks me if im feeding a snake, and I say yes, and she says I should feed it live. And I ask why, just to hear her reasoning, and she tells me, "So they can develop their hunting instincts". I had to laugh as I told her, "But he is never going to be in the wild, why would he need to hunt?" and she didnt even answer my question. She just told me how she feeds their snakes live all the time. And I tell her how I have seen pictures of a blood python that had been killed by a mouse. And she doesnt believe me of course. I just walked away before it turned into a brawl. what a moron. I hate pet stores so much.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-03, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should inform her about feeding live prey so she won't shell live prey to herpers with poor knowledge on the subject.
The result will be poor snakes with their skin teared up by frightened mice or even worse...rats.
(i can't believe how people like those running bussiness...)

~Greg~
Old 08-17-03, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ANACONDASAURUS
What an idiot she must be. They don't think when you feed live your taking a chance on making your snake sick or being bitten by a mouse or rat and die from feed live stuff at least. When you buy frozen at least your saving your snake from getting parasites.
Old 08-17-03, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by reptilesalonica
You should inform her about feeding live prey so she won't shell live prey to herpers with poor knowledge on the subject.
The result will be poor snakes with their skin teared up by frightened mice or even worse...rats.
(i can't believe how people like those running bussiness...)

~Greg~
That is very true.
Old 08-17-03, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tried to explain to her what could happen if she fed live. She didnt want to hear it. It was what she did, so she was right. She couldnt have been more than 18. I wish more people would educated themselves before the spurted nonsense out of their mouths.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-03, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to peregrinefalcon
Why not print the dead blood python pic and bring it in the next time you go there and maybe bring an info sheet about feeding live. Unfortunetely it probably won't change her mind
Adam

My Picture Gallery
Old 08-17-03, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Lizard
I used to feed live....before I even thought of PK or stunned as an option and I got scared a couple of times by the way the mice or rats were desperately fighting to survive,scratching and biting anything they could.
A couple of near misses around the eyes and one good bite which took about 3 sheds to fade on a burm I had.

V.salvator 0.1

German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany's contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian Griffin: Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.

----Family Guy---
Old 08-17-03, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lordkovacs
that's brutal. don't know why she would say that they woud have to develop hunting instincts... you can't develop INSTINCTS. The whole meaning behind the word is that they are born with it. She could have meant skills, that would have made more sense. Jeez, I'm too picky. cheers,
MIKE
Old 08-17-03, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

i give live prey but only to my vipers and i know when they are ready to accept them (hunger).
Also, i am above them until the food animal stops moving.
But these are fine letters for people like that girl and wouldn't understand it a bit.
Agree with peregrinefalcon.
Print a copy and show it to her.
To touch her feelings, claim that it WAS your snake
Old 08-17-03, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

reptilesalonica, question for you. If somehow live prey were to bite one of your vipers, what would you do? Are you wearing gloves ready to reach in and grab the prey if you had to? I wouldnt ever want to stick my hand in a venomous snakes tank.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-17-03, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think it would be a good idea to print off these responses along with a pic of the results of feeding live in an attempt to educate her. Try to keep it civil (I know it's hard). Hopefully, if you convince her that her opinion on the subject may be incorrect, she will be able to prevent some of the horrific incidents we have seen as a result of feeding live.
Here is a pic of the results of live-feeding (note: this pic is rather appaling so please do not scroll down if you are sensitive to these issues)
This pic has been circulated so widely that I was unable to track down the original photographer and the pic remains uncredited.
Good luck,
RMB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball.jpg (21.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 08-17-03, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TheRedDragon
OMG, that picture is horrifying, I will definitely hang on to that one so that I can show those who decide they want to feed their snakes live prey.
Snakes: 2.1 Corns, 1.1 Kings, 1.0 Everglades Rat, 1.1 Spotted Pythons, 1.2 Children's Pythons, 1.2 BCIs Lizards: 0.2 Leopard Geckos, 1.3 Bibron Geckos Inverts: 2.1 Tarantulas, 0.1 Emporer Scorpion Mammals: 0.2 Kittens
Old 08-17-03, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

poor BP in that pic, i cant believe people still try to feed live prey

-Steve
Old 08-18-03, 06:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

That little guy got chewed on bad.
Old 08-18-03, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

That poor snake. That idiotic owner... That Ball Python should be the poster child for feeding f/t. Amazing picture, all reptile owners should see it.
Closed Thread