border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-03, 08:11 PM   #61 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to katev17
I was at work not 15 minutes before it went out... We had to stay until about 6:30 though, they wanted to keep everyone there until 9:00. All our backup lights went out after 30 mins, and so we pulled a basketball net and basketballs out into the parking lot and played for a bit. I walked to one of the other cashier's houses where we had a barbecue (only 30 mins, it was my 'break') and came back and played cards. The manager got bored so he sent us all home...

Today only 3 or 4 stores were open in the mall, and , of course Sport Chek was one of them. I went into work and not 30 mins went by , then the power went out! I'm quite the charm, eh ? They just sent us home, cuz there's no point in staying. Anyway, my power keeps going off and on.

PEOPLE: TURN OFF YOUR AIR CONDITIONERS (HEATHER) lol ..... half of Orleans keeps going on and off and of and off while the other half sits there with their power and air conditioning !!! :|

Well I open tomorrow morning, so I guess we'll see if (HOPEFULLY) the power goes out again ... I like not working and still getting paid.....

When we got out today, some guy drove by in a panic saying "ARE YOU GUYS OPEN ?!?!?!?!?!"
I guess some people think that power outage = an urgent need for sporting equipment...

I don't know if any of the other Ottawanians (??) heard this on the radio last night, but one woman was like , "I work for security and have to work inthe morning but I don't know if I can wake up in time, so I think all the people with generators should start a wake up service to call us people with no power in the morning!"

She was serious....

Oh well, Heather's right, it's nice to see the stars I saw a shooting one last night while going to pick my mum up from work at 1:30

Kate
Old 08-15-03, 08:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

The people in Ottawa and close vicinity had to deal with ice storm '98...no power for about three weeks...I take pride in that, seeing that people put up a huge fuss without power for a day or two lol. Don't get me wrong, it was unexpected and it is something to moan about and it's a major niusance, but at least it wasn't a huge ice storm in the middle of August .
Old 08-15-03, 08:42 PM   #63 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Dozer
I wouldn't mind bein' stuck in the subway with some chicks... hmmm... I think I'm gonna be usin' the subways more often now

I cant complain...

I've had power for a while now.... since this mornin'...
Old 08-15-03, 08:58 PM   #64 (permalink)

Well Iím back on finally!!! I was at the theater going to watch S.W.A.T.....the guy about to shoot someone...then BOOM! No more power. At first we thought it was only the theater, then one of the workers come in and tell us it's the whole mall and that it may be a fire... so turns out it was a blackout! (Duh!)

We lost power at around 4:00pm or 4:15 yesterday and people in my area (Scarborough) just got it now at 10pm. It wasn't THAT bad but it was pretty annoying and super hot. It's true that we take things for granted, Iíll admit I do... but Iím also used to having at least a fan to sleep and water to bathe in!. Oh well it's over (for now :S) and Iím really grateful to have my sweeeeet electricity back!

Oh and we got vouchers for missing our movie which is good so as soon as we can go see it were going to go watch it!

Last edited by Melly18; 08-15-03 at 09:02 PM..
Old 08-15-03, 09:28 PM   #65 (permalink)

i loved the black out, i was in my break at a pet shop buying feeder rats and mice, then the lights shut, and we all got sent home whoooo!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-03, 09:58 PM   #66 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by katev17
PEOPLE: TURN OFF YOUR AIR CONDITIONERS (HEATHER) lol ..... half of Orleans keeps going on and off and of and off while the other half sits there with their power and air conditioning !!! :|
Ack! I know! My town wasn't even in the affected grid, but we were sharing our power (like we even have much of it with all couple thousand of us ) with the surrounding areas. Well they are being greedy as hell and now our power is getting shut down every so often for hours at a time Ugh! And my boyfriends boss runs the car wash and insists on keeping that open!!! People are supposed to be minimizing everything, and here he is on borrowed hydro running the wash!

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_G
Don't get me wrong, it was unexpected and it is something to moan about and it's a major niusance,
More than a nuissance if you have animals that can't tolerate the conditions and end up dying... or animals that end up puking up there food and sick from the improper, unstable conditions.....
Old 08-15-03, 11:14 PM   #67 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Like I said, i'm glad my IJ didn't barf!
Old 08-16-03, 10:24 AM   #68 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to RaVeNo888o
I was in the elevator when the power went out..kinda freaky..it jolted to a sudden stop and the lights went out..
we didnt have any power for about 27 hours (went out 4ish thursday? and we got it back like 6 friday night)...it was so boring.

i had already thawed a mouse for my cal king but the temps dropped to like 70 and he wouldnt eat so taht sucked (he ate today though) .,..and my crestie didnt care..temps were normal for him.
Old 08-16-03, 10:27 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_G
The people in Ottawa and close vicinity had to deal with ice storm '98...no power for about three weeks...I take pride in that, seeing that people put up a huge fuss without power for a day or two lol. Don't get me wrong, it was unexpected and it is something to moan about and it's a major niusance, but at least it wasn't a huge ice storm in the middle of August .
my dad works for bell and he was one of the guys working to get everything back up after the ice storm..he didnt go to it but did the work back here that needed to be done for it to work..i remember he wasnt home for a week or so..he has this shirt that says ice storm '98 or somthing lol
Old 08-16-03, 01:10 PM   #70 (permalink)

haha, yea, I went on the 407 too just to see if they're gonna charge me or not. It was jammed like everywhere else but safer and faster without traffic lights and intersections. Normally I wouldn't go on it but this time I got kinda bored on the road and I let curiousity took over.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-16-03, 03:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

also, it wasnt too fun not being able to eat very much. We didnt have too much food at my house cause i had been at my dads for the month b4..and what we did have went bad. On thursday, all i had was a yogurt cup and some chicken on 2 slices of bread. and on friday i had a tomato sandwhich, and my mom bbq'd what was left of the chicken and we had that.
Old 08-16-03, 04:14 PM   #72 (permalink)

we lost power at 4:15pm and it did not come back until 12:15 pm!! it was a good thing i collect a lot of candles!! i didn't think it was too bad, had a BBQ, a bonfire and looked at the exceptionally bright stars that night. only thing that worried me was my reptiles and my king snake eggs i had incubating
Old 08-16-03, 04:16 PM   #73 (permalink)

thats nothing..mine went out 4'ish pm on thursday as well. and we didnt get power back 6'ish pm on friday
Old 08-17-03, 01:47 AM   #74 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to spikella
that's how long mine was out too, Raven...

i was just desperate to save those jumbo rats from thawing...
Closed Thread