border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-03, 01:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Groton, CT got hit around 4:30 PM. The majority of the town was out except a couple areas. All my neighbors gave me cash and I went to the grocery store that still had electricity and bought $50 work of BBQ food. By the time I got back (around 7:30 pm) everything was back on. It was one hell of a good BBQ though. (Iím eating leftovers right now for lunch)

Jeff is right- we ate which a bunch of neighbors who we really donít talk to often. We havenít really communicated with our neighbors since we got hit with blizzards in the winter. We all met digging each otherís cars out.

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Old 08-15-03, 01:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

That was so very fun. We got out power back around 5ish in the morning and then it went off at 10:00 until 11:30AM. I'm just glad my IJ didn't throw up because I gave him a huge meal yesterday.
Old 08-15-03, 01:48 PM   #48 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SerpentLust
Yeah it was out here too. From last night until about 11:00am this morning!

Jenn
Old 08-15-03, 01:54 PM   #49 (permalink)

Just came back on here. Went out yesterday at 4 and came back at about 1 here. Cable just came back on. There's planning rolling blackouts for the whole weekend though. They said it wont be back to normal until Monday, should be fun. Ahwell, i have the internet and beer, what more could i ask for?
Old 08-15-03, 02:04 PM   #50 (permalink)

Just talked to a friend in Brampton that was at a gas station earlier. Apparently one of the customers wasnt happy about the line up and went on a rampage. Broke out a car window. Also, the A&P (grocery store) in Brampton is having problems with customers. They're running around taking bottled water, batteries and loafs of bread out of other customers shopping carts..

AHHHHHH , its Armageddon..
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-03, 02:20 PM   #51 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
and we thought y2k was going to be bad

May you live in interesting times.
Old 08-15-03, 02:23 PM   #52 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
If I were Dale Gribble, (King of the Hill), I'd say it was terrorist-related, then claim the government was covering up the conspiracy!

Freaky news, isn't it??? I hope everyone who has been effected by this event comes out of it unscathed and no worse for the wear!
Old 08-15-03, 02:55 PM   #53 (permalink)

I enjoyed the power outage. First I had a bbq with some friends, then went to the beach, and when night came we walked along the river and then we sat on a bench in the commercial area of westboro village in Ottawa with a friend. It looked like a ghost town or something in a movie after some disaster! It was so cool! There was also more stars than usual, but still not as much as I expected. I also found a stuffed leopard toy on the street, I named him Tumstocksvagen. I don't know what that means but it's on his label. Apparently he's swedish. Fortunately it wasn't winter so I didn't have to worry about my pets.

Martin
Old 08-15-03, 03:21 PM   #54 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but I think we are a sad bunch. If we can't handle the power being out for a day, we are going to be so SOL when something REALLY serious happens to us.

Listen to me. I was sitting in my air conditioned work yesterday, watching from the sidelines, <i>so I should just just stay out of it</I>, but here I go anyway. I'm sure it was horrible for some people, but the looting and rampaging is a bit much. I hope that no one had anything serious happen to them. Imagine the people who are on life support or something, but I'm sure they have backup power units. God bless the human race. :-D

Oh and of course our herps. Thankfully it's not winter.
Old 08-15-03, 04:13 PM   #55 (permalink)

Yes power outages are no fun, we had the power go out last Thursday for about 9 hours. Turns out some idiots were out drinking and decided to shoot out some insulators off the power poles coming into town (rumors say as many as 60 of them). Apparently the RCís found beer cans and empty shell casings, with the purchase receipt :dumb:. The scary part is that they started a brush fire around the poles and I donít know if any of you have seen the fires going on in southern BC but if is almost as dry in the bush around here This happened less than 5 mi. out of town. As SCR said in another post some people are idiots, I hope the cops nail them.

Bruce

PS-One thing to consider is if you have a lot of money tied up in things that require power is to by a small generator. You can actually wire it in to your house circuit on a temporary bases on short notice to provided power for the bare essentials, run the freezer or maybe the furnace depending on the time of year. Sorry ladies the hair dryer is out.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-03, 04:14 PM   #56 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
In winter i don't think i'd be so worried, there are many methods of heat, how ever in the heat of summer there are few ways to keep food cold.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 08-15-03, 04:38 PM   #57 (permalink)

It was out in newmarket from 4:15 yesterda till 5:00 today. The coldest enclosure went down 75 so not much to worry about.
We all had a great time went for walks, played monopoly, and bbq a lot including a awsome mushroom omlet complete with toasted english muffens, yummy.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Old 08-15-03, 05:09 PM   #58 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrath
Imagine the people who are on life support or something, but I'm sure they have backup power units.
LOL don't have to imagine it. When the power went out, I wasn't in my town, I was sitting in the emergency room (re: chicken bone) of one of the ones that was in the affected grid. Let me tell ya, I hate the hospital when I can see everything, I hate it on so many more levels when its pitch dark and all the doors slam shut and lock! All hospitals have generators, however they don't power everything (they don't use it for a/c), and the stinkin thing took a long time to kick in... I'm sure a few people suffered from that! They wouldn't even let us keep lights on unless the doctor was in with us, they were trying to both conserve enegery and keep it cool since it was pretty stinkin hot out. Got home and found out my house wasn't affected. Grrrr... for some strage reason today though they intentionally shut our power off, even though we weren't affected. So little you can do without power! I got bored and went out back and burned marshamallowes in the gazebo while it rained
Old 08-15-03, 05:30 PM   #59 (permalink)

I was in both NYC and Toronto yesterday so I was treated to quite the spectacle. I was in the Lincoln Tunnel when the power went out and there was a little bit of panic. I spent the next 9 hours slowly working my way back to Toronto. It sure is weird driving when there are no lights in the city. I decided to splurge and take the 407 toll route (sort of hoping the cameras didn't get me, I am sure they have plenty of stored electricity for that though
Anyway, if history is any indication we should see plenty of babies next May!
Cheers,
RMB
Old 08-15-03, 06:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
Hey you guys are all lucky! I was in the subway when the power went out (fun), and it stayed out until I left today at about noon. I don't know if its back up yet, either. Worst though, is I was allll alone, had no cash and even if I wanted to go outside and get food to eat I'd need to climb down and back up 20 floors in pitch black stairwells. I tell you, that was NOT an amusing night. I slept fitfully for 3 hours and spent the rest of the time listening to a crappy radio and reading in the walls which stayed lit till about 4am (I guess the generator lasts 12 hours). I had power in my APT for a few hours, from plugging into the outlets in the halls (which are powere by the generator), but like I said it didn't last long.
damned government, this better not happen again! :P

Zoe
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread