sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-03, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active
Ahhhhhhh! My wee little town is NOT prepared for this! We are like the only ones inthe area with power, all the surrounding cities are out so you walk outside and everythings crazy! And now we are having to share our power with Welland and a few others, and they are being greedy so before long we are ALL going to be out! Argh! Its not gonna make much difference but I've turned pretty close to everything off in my house trying to conserve as much as I can. Poor town. We have 3 bars, 1 fast food joint, and two banks, and a few restaurants... it can't deal with all the big cities coming here! People are parked all over the grass, parking lots and drive-thrus are overflowing, geez... they are saying its gonna take 2-5 days before everything gets up and running... I don't think we can last that long
Old 08-14-03, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Emily-Fisher
AND KATE'S NOT HERE! There is NO way that I will last 2-5 days without Kate! I might as well commit suicide... it'll be a faster way to die rather than suffering for a couple days!
Old 08-14-03, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to alex_33
Linds where abouts do you live? I Live in Welland, But am on vacation right now is Saskatoon.
Experience is a great advantage. The Problem is that when you get the experience, you're too damned old to do anything about it.
Old 08-14-03, 09:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
I blame Canada! LOL j/k
I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
Old 08-14-03, 09:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
I doubt this was related to terrorism. Considering sh&% happens. And this too "In the Great Northeast Blackout of 1965, the largest in U.S. history, at least 25 million people in New York, New England and portions of Pennsylvania and New Jersey lost electricity for a day starting late in the afternoon of November 9." So yeah, this years isn't the only time its happened.

Hope everyone gets their power back soon.
Apollo, the one and only Western Hognose (so far)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-14-03, 10:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
Ugh I was like....4 pm I think? JUST got it back now at midnight....

It's sad to think of how reliant I am on electricity :| there's NOTHING to do :P

But it WAS kind of nice to see the stars for once, living in the city
Heather Rose
"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention." - John Doe, Seven
Heather Rose Reptiles
Old 08-14-03, 10:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active
It wasn't related at all to terrorism... there was never any doubt. I can't remember what happened, something about some moron plugging in this to that and it didn't work and repeated it too manyt imes and ended up shorting it out and blowing it up :firestart Thats one hell of an accident!
Old 08-15-03, 05:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127
My power went out at about 4 p.m. yesterday, but came back on by about 7 p.m. However, every city surrounding me still did not have power when I went to sleep at midnight. It is 7:30 a.m. now and I haven't talked to anybody, but I'm assuming they have power now. Lots of ppl didn't have water either. I never lost water. No cable though.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."-Unknown
Old 08-15-03, 05:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
My power went out at 12:00pm and did not come back on until 12:00am

Specializing in Large Pythons
Home of the "GIANTS"
Old 08-15-03, 06:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to daver676
We lost our power at around 4:15 pm yesterday, and got it back about 4:00 am this morning. And I agree, there is NOTHING to do when there is no power. I ended up playing cribbage by candlelight with my gf and parents! Well, I guess playing cards is SOMETHING to do when you don't have power. I can think of one other thing too!

Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-03, 06:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
My power just flickered, my b/f lives close to NYC in Connecticut and his is still out I think (as of 8am Friday). *sings "Blame Canada"* KIDDING!!! don't hurt me
Old 08-15-03, 06:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to lanalizard Send a message via Yahoo to lanalizard
I work in an emergency call centre and our back up generator blew too! and we got our power restored at me, the lights and stuff woke me up pretty damn fast
Old 08-15-03, 06:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
i was stuck for 3 hours on the side of the road cause the traffic was so bad i almost ran out of gas! well power was out in Kitchener/Waterloo area from around 4:00pm untill whatever time it was when my fire alarm and lights went on in the night!...what a wake up call!
Old 08-15-03, 07:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
From what I heard from my dad who works at Ontario Hydro, This all happened because lightning struck a power plant in New York and when it blew up it shorted everything out. The reason Canada was affected as well is because the Canadian and American power grids are intertwined because we send power to the states and vice versa.

Luckily for some reason most of Niagara Falls wasn't affected
0.1 Ball Python, 1.0 Savanah Monitor, 1.1 German Giants, 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.1 Argentine Black & White Tegu, 1.1 Leopard Gecko's, 0.1 Red Eared Slider, 1.0 Albino Pac Man Frog, plus a dog, cat, fish, hamster, and newt
Old 08-15-03, 08:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
And it all started with 'Hey, what does THIS button do?'

the reports i heard on the way in last night stated that at the time, the Niagra Falls power people said lightning overloaded the system BUT that everyone else, canadian and US were saying BS, lightning is not to blame.

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread