border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-03, 11:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well, in 18 years of culturing nasal and bronchial secretions, I've never once cultured a "visible mold" that had made its way into the respiratory system and none of the vets I've worked with have either.

Aspergillum tends to be killed off by the mycotoxins and other byproducts given off by larger molds and does not tend to be present when they are. Some of the other microscopic molds such as penicillium are, but they don't tend to cause disease in cold-blooded animals.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 08-13-03, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

You missed my point. It's the same argument as the pine pollen thing where because people SEE pine pollen, they assume it is the cause of the allergy when in fact it is the ragweed, hardwood and other pollens that are microscopic causing the problem.

I never said that you are wrong...I said that when you SEE visible mold that it is a good indicator that some house cleaning needs to be done and there is likely spores and other microscopic stuff floating around in there in alarming numbers...that's all.
Old 08-13-03, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Yes, Julius, but you've missed mine as well.

Very true that when there is visible mold there is other stuff is floating around, but there's never been a documented case of any of that causing RI. The very spores floating around tend to kill off the pathogens that are physically small enough to invade the mucus membranes of the respiratory system. We see a lot of digestive and skin problems when those conditions exist, but never a fungal RI.

Not all respiratory symptoms are infectious, sometimes it's just increased mucus flow as a response to surface irritants like dust or spores. That's why I culture everything, then we know what we are dealing with.

Aspergillosis is usually found in cases where no major husbandry problem is noted, and we inspect the home environment of all the animals we rescue and culture the substrate as well as the animal.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Closed Thread