border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-03, 09:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Chuck, theres to many people that would make up a stupid response just to cause crap. And alot of the people doing it are some of the "higher" up members..... Controversy is good, but it still needs its moderation........
Old 08-10-03, 09:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lordkovacs
Okay, Chuck, what you are saying is very true. I'm all for debate. Actually, in the higher levels of University most classes are conducted as debates. For ex. I took an English Lit. class at the same time as I was thinking of my theseis (for my degree). As a result of a debate in this class, I completely changed my thesis that I had been working on for months. What I'm getting at is that debate is a very useful tool. However, when used inappropriately it actually causes regression. What I mean by this is that if you and I are debating, and you resort to name-calling, I will automatically become defensive. The result is that both of us will loose sight of what we were originally debating. So, although debating is very positive, there is an invisible line (that is very fine sometimes) that should not be crossed, or you run the risk of going way off topic.
k, that was long-winded. oh well... interesting thread.
MIKE
Old 08-11-03, 12:11 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
i think debateing over certern topics is a good thing untill it stops being about the issiue and about I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG
That I disagree with. That is simply because sometimes there are occassions where one individual is right and the other wrong, yet the wrong INSISTS he/she is right. Personally this is one thing I CAN'T stand. For example: Chuck is 100% right in regards to the post on the size of burms. In todays captive stock it is nearly impossible to find a 20' specimen so why lie about it and try to scare him out of it. Sixteen feet and twenty feet is only off by four. Sure this sounds like a small amount, my does it ever make a difference! For example, a while back I wanted a burm. This was before I had even handled something like a boa contrictor. Anyhow eventually I got the opportunity to hold a 7.5 foot BCI and my Lord are they ever difficult to handle! When they want to go somewhere, they will! If they were to get around your neck, I have no doubt that they could easily kill someone and would be hard to get off. Now I think to myself: if a seven foot snake is this strong and this hard to control, I wonder what a 15 foot snake with three times the girth would be like? Right there I scared myself, or rather used common sense to avoid getting a burm. So why lie and exaggerate things when you can be informative and not put lies into the new herpers head? Personally I would refer to my own experience and recommend handling a large boa before even considering a burm. Personally, and maybe Chuck is like me, but when i KNOW I am right you will have a hard time arguing with me.
Old 08-11-03, 11:24 AM   #34 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
If someone is so much more wrong than I am in debates on the internet, that clues me in that I can make my last post and leave the thread knowing I was right.

Its absolutly silly to feel the need to call anyone a jerk or idiot no matter how you feel. No one will break down and just agree with being called that, and its the SIMPLE way out of a debate. Not the smart way.

Frankly I'd rather read good debates, not "Your dumb" threads.

I believe this website allows more to be said than almost any other large reptile website. On queensnake it is far worse and if the topic moves away from that brake neck grandma knitting speed they keep it at, they delete posts. At least here you can go much further than that. For me, that makes it easier to respect the rules.

Marisa
Old 08-11-03, 01:55 PM   #35 (permalink)

When someone does not have knowledge they are ignorant. Ignorant is not a derogatory term. When you give someone information and they ignore it, then they become predominately ignorant, and at that point calling them an idiot seems fitting. I like to call people decorates from time to time. Funny thing is, even people who are democrats are offended at being called one. =) Maybe itís a culture thing, since most people here are either Canadian or Yankees, perhaps you just canít understand the lingo of the dirty south. We are not big on sugar coating things. I would not, nor would anyone in my group, belittle someone who is ignorant. But we will point out an idiot at the drop of a hat. If you are offended at being called a democrat, donít be one. If you are offended at being called an idiot, donít be one. That is pure and simple. I have had differences of opinions with several people on this forum. If they present facts and draw reasonable conclusions from their facts and the facts I present, then we have no problems. In fact there has been times I have changed my opinion on issues after reviewing facts. Now, there has also been times I have differed with people who only throw out opinions and when I present facts they present more opinions. Idiots? I think so! Call a spade a spade!
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Login to remove ads
Old 08-11-03, 05:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
If you are offended at being called a democrat, donít be one. If you are offended at being called an idiot, donít be one. That is pure and simple
LOL I love that...
Old 08-11-03, 05:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lordkovacs
interesting Chuck. Perhaps it is a southern thing, I don't know. But realize this, if I am speaking my opinion about something, and you have a differing opinion, why would you WANT to resort to calling names? I just don't get it. What benefit does it bring? The person you may be calling an idiot could in fact be far more intelligent then you are ( i don' t mean you personally, just those people that attack others ), but perhaps just not when it comes to keeping snakes! Nonetheless, you do have some valid points. Some people just aren't skillful at the art of debating. Cheers,
MIKE
Old 08-12-03, 08:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
if I am speaking my opinion about something, and you have a differing opinion, why would you WANT to resort to calling names?
A lot of names I call just out of jest. That is my personality. I believe that intelligent people base opinions on facts. So if you and I were differing on opinions and I told you the facts I base my opinion on and you told me the facts you base yours on, then we would draw conclusions from those facts and have an intellectual debate. If I present facts and you present nothing but opinions, I would declare you an idiot and move on. So being an being an idiot would cause me to resort to name calling. =)
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 08-12-03, 09:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

yep it's a southern thing, we get it from eating sow belly, chittlins, and grits every morning (or washing it down with the white-lightening we all keep in the cabinet).

Old 08-12-03, 09:02 AM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
But you thinking someone is an idiot because they couldn't bring up facts is a generalization. This person could be an airline pilot yet know nothing of snakes. It makes the name caller look stupid themselves.

Its so petty and ridiculous to me to need to name call. I just don't see the reason for it

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 08-12-03, 09:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
chuck it's simple don't call someone an idoit. so what if they are one who cares if they remark with something wrong. then the rest of us members may read that thread and may think that persons an idiot also. That doesn't mean we have to voice it. Just keep that opion to your self. I have a name i call ignorant people but i wouldn't say it here cause it's not appropriate to use. Plus i just laugh to myself and think man what a d b.
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 08-12-03, 09:23 AM   #42 (permalink)

LOL@Drewlowe

I love that name for idiots myself. LOL

Marisa
Old 08-12-03, 10:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

Yes marissa i find i use that word more than i thought i ever would. and not just on ssnakess. I find there are alot of them in the world. LOL
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 08-12-03, 11:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

Blah blah blah, if one is an idiot, one needs to be called an idiot and begin anti-idiot therapy.
Old 08-12-03, 11:40 AM   #45 (permalink)

then fine instead of doing it on a post where everyone can see then p.m. it to that person. Don't bash someone in public view. It's so easy to do. If you must resort to name calling then don't post, and keep it to your self. Other than that debates are great as long as someone doesn't get bashed.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread