border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-03, 08:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to J-Man
Crud! I'm probably moving to chicago!
Old 07-24-03, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Won't matter where you move it will come all over. It just hit Kentucky this week too. Yes IL, already has a dangerous animals act, but banning them all but dogs and cats makes the polaticians so much more powerful.
Old 07-24-03, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

didnt read all of this thread, too long and seen it all before.
so
get a petition, find out who is trying to stop reptiles being kept. and find out why they are.
in england animals aid tried to ban all reptiles from being kept as pets, but their main objective is to stop all pets. including cats dogs, hamsters, everything. the best way to change things is to speak out, tell people what reptiles are, what they do and why they do it. make the general public see that reptiles are not slimy, sneaky killers. sounds easier said than done, but all it takes is one person to start the ball rolling

cheers
paul
Old 07-25-03, 03:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snkmn
man, i am sorry. you have my wishes ....
i agree with you teana , they need to stop, stopping everything and trying to control everything. it is probly gonna become sort of like communist russia in 10 years if we dont start doing something about it. i want us to keep herps. if this happens everywere in this country some peoples lives will be crushed and will be job-less , i know some of you people out there breed and sell reptiles for a liveing and it would be awful if all of those people lost ther jobs. it i has happened befor in other stuff but not from banning. i wish that people would stop trying to stop everything. i know that sounds hipocritical but, it is to no deggree of what they are doing. and that is MY two cents on they issue.
Old 07-25-03, 06:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
Sorry to here about the ban...... In NYC they went through with the ban regardless of peoples attempt to stop it....... There are a few ways around it though....... Get the proper permits to keep the animals you wish to keep...... I feel not everyone should own reptiles, especialy big constrictors, large lizards and ofcourse venomous....... Bans are not always the end of keeping herps in your city or state....... It could also protect the responsable keeper as well...... And most states do have a permit system in place...... Check it out....... Or you can do what I did and move out of the city.....LOL......
Old 07-25-03, 11:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Angel_x322
Ok guys I have a e-mail I wrote and I would like some feedback on it before i send it...

To whom it may concern,

I was just recently reading my e-mail and ran across one from the Chicago Herpetological Society's mailing list. In this email it stated that there has been a proposal for banning reptiles. I was wondering how I would go about getting information on potential ban as I am a reptile owner and would be deeply saddened to have to give up my sweet little babies.
I do not understand the reason for this ban. Reptiles can be companion pets just as dogs and cats and are, in my opinion, less dangerous. One hears more in the news about dog bites or attacks than reptile ones. I do agree that crocodilians and large snakes can be dangerous and these are already banned under the dangerous creatures act, I believe. Smaller lizards, however, like the Leopard Gecko or a Chinese Water Dragons can not kill a human or even a cat for that matter. The Leopard gecko does not even grow to be a foot long and a Water Dragon rarely gets to be 2.5' long and 75% of that is a long tail. I own both of these types of lizards and love them just as I love my other furry friends. I do not see animals as pets but rather as friends and children. They come into our lives and teach us responsibility and how to care and love.
I am also not writing just on my behalf but on that of all reptile owners or potential owners that do not know of this proposal. I am especially concerned about my 6 year old nephew who, if this ban was passed, would have to give up his little red eared slider (turtle) that he got for his birthday this passed June. He has fallen in love with the turtle that he has affectionately named Joe and it would break his heart to have to get rid of him.
I would also like to know what would happen to reptiles if this ban was passed. Would they be destroyed or offered for adoption in other places like Burbank, Evergreen Park, or other such suburbs that do not have a ban? Please also take into consideration the fact that some people will “dump” or release their reptiles into the streets or local preserves in an attempt to “save” them or get away from fines or legal action due to this proposal.
With proper care and husbandry reptiles are like our fuzzy friends and are not dangerous nor do they make people sick. I thank you for your time and would appreciate some details on this proposal as it does directly affect me and people I care about.

Sincerely,
Erika (last name)
(Address)
Chicago, IL (zip code)

What do you think? Should I send it and do you think one of them will respond?
Old 07-25-03, 11:26 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to RaVeNo888o
thats a great email, if you get a response, please post it here..

i don't see the difference between a pet hampter and a pet lizard (cept of course the lizard is better lol) why should the fact that a small harmless lizard is a reptile and therefore catagorized with the larger, more dangerous species, mean they should ban them.. Hey, bears are mammles, so therefore, all mammles should be banned because they could hurt you. come on, get real
Old 07-25-03, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

I sent the e-mail.... now its time to wait....

Last edited by Dark_Angel_x322; 07-25-03 at 12:33 PM..
Old 07-25-03, 12:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to liltattyprinces
I think it's a great letter. I hope all goes well i couldn't imagine what i would do if i had to give mine up or my poor kids for that matter. I would like to find out if they respond or not, if they do i'm curious to find out what their reasons are for wanting to ban reptiles, my dog i can honestly say is far more dangerous than any of the snakes or tarantulas i and the kids own
Old 07-25-03, 12:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Chicago is home for me even though I lived in FL last year, CT this year, and in Oct I'm going to Hawaii (that’s what you get for loving a Navy man). I am going to Chicago and will be there just in time for the rep show. Although my love for snakes started in FL, I would like to help out in anyway possible to keep my hometown free of bans on herps. Other than contacting the addresses listed above, any other suggestions?

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-25-03, 12:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

The letter is fine, But the email will probably come back to you. Mine did. I already talked to the other members of the CHS and this topic is definately to be discussed and a plan of quick action to be taken. I would advise going to the meeting, you don't need to be a member to attend, but do need to be a member to have a voting say.
Old 07-25-03, 12:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Biggest things that can be done by everyone, is to make people you know in Chicago aware of what is going on. What the Alderman and commity ar doing is trying to pass this un-apposed by anyone, that is why it is listed in an obscure place. Tell everyone this does not only effect Herp keepers, But it effects anyone who enjoys the company of an animal that isn't a dog or cat. This includes birds, mice, hamsters, Guinnie Pigs, rabbits, All herps, Possibly fish too. Anything that could be considered exotic.
If you know someone in Chicago have them go to their Alderman and tell them to vote no on this subject. Once this gets to be public knowledge the harder it will be to get passed.
Old 07-25-03, 05:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

How long did it take for your email to bounce back? mine hasn't come back yet and it has been over 4 hours. Do you think they got it? Oh and I won't be able to make it to the CHS meeting cuz i have to work but if someone could send me some notes on it I would be grateful. Thanks!
Old 07-26-03, 02:18 AM   #29 (permalink)

i live in nyc and the stores told me its only illegal to sell boids. keeping them is allowed. dont really know how tis works out
Closed Thread