sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-03, 03:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3
Be careful on the out side tank. Many stories of a herp over heating in a glass tank that was set outside. Plus Unless its an old tank the sunlight deal isnt doing a good a job as it should be. Just something to add. Xain
Old 07-20-03, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to LORI34205
what do u mean if its a old tank?????
Old 07-20-03, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active
In addition KrokadilyanGuy3's warning about overheating, glass is also a UV sheild. The UV rays cannot penetrate the glass, which defeats the purpose, unless the sun is overhead and it gets in through the top.
Old 07-20-03, 09:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Bryce Masuk Send a message via Yahoo to Bryce Masuk
When you take your reptiles outside they Will nearly always go into a attack/defend mode because there is so much action outside they see/hear what we are conditioned to. while they are conditioned to the inside of our homes the lack of movement from small creatures and overhead enemys/objects is something they are usually not conditioned to unless they live outside. if they do live outside they often will act the same way because they see nearly anything they are not conditioned to as a predator and they must be aware of predators if they are to survive
"Far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement, but few can argue with it."
Old 07-22-03, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Some of the reaction may be from being in a different environment. There will be lots of stimulus it's not used to as well as being in a much smaller enclosure. Don't put a reptile in a glass tank in direct sun inside or out. The glass magnifies the heat and the reptile can over heat. Also, according to my vet, most glass has lead in it which blocks the UV rays. There is no substitute for natural sunlight and basking lizards should get as much as possible, but maybe try a mesh enclosure instead of glass or a harness and leash. A lot of pet stores carry ones made especially for reptiles and I know a couple of people that use them for their bearded dragons and one that uses one for his monitor. It may fight it at first but should get used to it. Hope this helps.
Life is uncertain, eat dessert first
Login to remove ads
Old 07-23-03, 04:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to burmer Send a message via MSN to burmer
I took my beardie outside today to see how he would like it. His colors got real bright and he did hulk up. I guess everything around him peaked his interest because he seemed really alert. I'll try taking out my nile tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be more of a handful.
Closed Thread