sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-03, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LORI34205
First snake!

i have been looking at snakes for quite a long time now and i used to think they were a true pain to take care of but now that i think about it i would really like to get one.not anytime soon because i just bought a savannah monitor and i have to get him going good first, but i was just wondering what would be a good snake for me???

money for food is no object
initial cost under 100 dollars
caging no problem
size under 7 feet
Login to remove ads
Old 07-15-03, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to reptilez
Ball python or Corn Snake
I got my ball for $90 at a Reptile show from PCPC
I'm not sure on the price of corn snakes though Sorry
-Reptilez
Old 07-15-03, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

reptilez is correct a ball python or corn snake would be ideal for a new snake owner. however; if you do buy, make sure it eats before it leaves the store, ball pythons give a heck of a time when it comes to feeding, the are stubborn little sh*ts. may i suggest a spotted python. they dont get too large and the are usually very tame.

Good luck!!
Old 07-15-03, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

spotted python
how big?
how much $$
hard to find??
Old 07-15-03, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to reptilez
Corn snakes are the ideal starter snake because they are usually very good eaters. And as stated above, balls can be picky eaters, but mine has yet to miss a meal. I picked a ball because i just like the look of them better, i love pythons.
How Big do Spotted Pythons Get? I like there pattern as babies, do they change much when they get older?
-Reptilez
Login to remove ads
Old 07-15-03, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

are there any boas known to be tame ???
tame as in wouldnt resort to strangling you to death if handled often and tooken care of well
Old 07-15-03, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

The $100 price range is very limiting on what you can get. Pretty well all boids, except for some ball pythons as well as kenyan sand boas, fetch a higher price than that. I wouldn't recommend a ball python ($100+) for a first snake as their fussy feeding behaviour and timid nature can prove very frustrating for a first timer. They don't tolerate handling very well due to their stressful nature... people often mistake the curled up and still act as being relaxed and friednly when in fact that is their main defense. Kenyans ($60) can make wonderful starter snakes, providing you get one that is already feeding well. They are fairly tolerant of handling, as well as they have very simple husbandry. Just keep them dry as possible, offer them water once every couple weeks. They finish up 1.5'-3'. Corns and kings also fit the price and finish in the 4'-6' range, however they are very slender-bodied animals so it doesn't seem near that large. They are relatively easy to care for as well. Kings can get a bit musky when handled. Corns are variable in temperament, but otherwise easy to handle. Kings/corns being colubrids are much more active than the forementioned. You could also opt for garters, however they have different diet and need a variety to balance it out, and can be quite skittish. Good luck with your decision

Quote:
Originally posted by LORI34205
are there any boas known to be tame ???
tame as in wouldnt resort to strangling you to death if handled often and tooken care of well
No snakes are "tame". They jsut tolerate handling to one degree or another. No snake will ever constrict as a defense either, they only constrict their food. Many boas fit the suit of docile however.

I almost forgot as well. Colombian BCI start at around $100 for babies and are relatively easy to care for and can become quite docile. They usually finish up 5-8 feet, males being smaller.
Old 07-15-03, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

A Corn or a King would be good first snake. I personally believe that snakes are easier to care for than lizards, turtles/tortises, or amphibians.
Old 07-15-03, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

i like bull or gopher snakes niether one f mine mind being handled and they eat good. they were both wild rescued and neither have been a problem
Old 07-16-03, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

well i can get more $$
i just dont want to spend my money on a snake that is not hanlable and aggrssive.
how about 200.00$?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-03, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

how big do bloods get?
my local pet store has a colombian boa that is 100.00$
and he is fairly large.
they also sell 2 foot long bp's for only 40.00$
Old 07-16-03, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
Bloods get pretty big... I think 7ft and have hugh girth (i might be off on the length)
I wouldn't be buy a from a petstore... you're better off finding a breeder, you'll pay less.

Quote:
they were both wild rescued and neither have been a problem
I wouldn't follow this logic. While some WC snakes can adapt to captivity, you'll still need to spend lots on wormers and vet fees, and it isn't really fair to the snake to be removed from the big outdoors they are used to and be placed into a tiny tank.

Boas get pretty big, you might want to stick with a BP. But try and find a breeder to get it from.

Zoe
Old 07-16-03, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Heh, some Bloods can be very agressive. Gloves and/or tongs for some of those sausages. Also follow Zoe's advice and buy from a reputable breeder. These snakes usually have a better start in life, are less expensive than their pet store counterparts, and haven't been moved around from store to store. If you're set on a boid get a Ball Python. Small, calm and slow.
Old 07-16-03, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

$200 is much better, it opens you up to a lot more. Rosy boas are awesome little snakes (2'-3') that are super easy to care for, slowmoving, tolerant of handling, docile animals. The price depends on their locality, cheapest starting at around $125 for mexicans. Childrens and Spotted Pythons also fit that range and are easy to care for and handle. They look similar to eachother, but are different subspecies, although often Spotted's have been sold as Childrens. Milksnakes are easy to care for, but although they don't really bite much, they are very flighty and musky. Most ratsnakes are relatively easy to care for, though again, some can tend to be rather flighty, some subspecies moreso than others. Colombian Rainbow boas and Brazilians can be great pets as well, provided you can meet their lower temp/high humidity requirements. Brazilians are probably the closest thing to a guaranteed "tame" (i hate that word!) snake. Babies can be nippy but calm down in no time and stay that way, whether or not you continue to handle them. They eat like crazy and are absoltuely stunning. They are more active than most boids while handled, but nonethless very handleable. Bloods are NOT a beginner snake at all. They have exacting requirements that can be difficult to meet for the novice snakekeeper, as well as they can be diffiult to handle due to their size. They are not a small snake. They can exceeed 40 lb for the really big ones. They are also very hissy and sensitive temperament-wise. Gloves should be avoided with snakes. The snake can hook a tooh and get snagged and whatnot on them. Safe for you, unsafe for the snake. Good luck with your decision
Old 07-16-03, 12:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to burmer Send a message via MSN to burmer
I wouldn't get a blood for a first snake. Besides being somewhat nippy they require a little more specialized care then a corn, king or ball. A kingsnake is a great first snake. Also a corn or even a western hognose might be good for you.
Your best bet is to do some research on the snakes that have been mentioned and see what sounds good to you.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread