border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-03, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Site Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Conas
i see you're in Florida, and if price is an issue about snakes check out http://www.scserp.com . You probly won't want to mail order anything to you, but maybe you are close to their head quarters and they are really cheap. Who payed $100+ for a ball? My dad ordered 10 balls for something like $12 each, and they are all feeding great. They have corns too Check it out. All the animals i have recieved from them are in great condition. I hear some people diss on big distributors like them, but it's worth a shot.

If you want to handle a snake, get a corn. If you want your snake to never give you heck, get a ball python. That's how i see it, atleast
Old 07-16-03, 04:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LORI34205
those prices are so lowi dont get it
headquarters is only a couple miles away in sarasota!
you may have just talked me out of a snake and into another monitor.
well see how i feel,
nile monitors are so cheap!
Old 07-16-03, 05:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
I would really thing about a Nile they are not like a Savannah and can be quite NASTY! they also get alot bigger then Savannah's
here is a idea of what you would have to look forward to

You said you don't want a snake that gets bigger then 7ft think of it this way a 7 foot snake can still be kept in a enclosure were as a 6 foot Nile Monitor would need a spare bedroom

just my 2 cents

Brandon
newlinereptile@sympatico.ca
Old 07-16-03, 07:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
Quote:
No snake will ever constrict as a defense either, they only constrict their food
Gotta disagree with you on that one. my Rosy Boa constricted my boyfriend's hand constantly during the "taming" period (it was a biter when we first got it). It was very feisty and would not let go for about 15 minutes. I KNOW it didn't see Chris as food. Also, it goes through non feeding periods but if I wiggle the mouse around enough it will still constrict it but not eat it. Almost as if to make sure it's dead, then he leaves it alone.

Depending on your experience level, a Ball Python, hog Island Boa, Rosy Boa, or Corn snake would be fine for you.
Old 07-16-03, 07:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have read up on niles and it will be a very big step that i wont be taking anytime soon, im thinking maybe a blacktroat or a white.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-03, 07:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

dont get me wrong i still want a snake but those prices are tempting
Old 07-16-03, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

If you are interested in Corn snakes you have two of the best breeders of corns right there in Fla. Kathy Love or Rich Z. have a wide variety of corn morphs.
Old 07-16-03, 07:52 AM   #23 (permalink)

just curious what does a albino bp cost(i dont like the sound of corns,skinny,squirmy,dont hold still,not what i want

it will be a bp almost for sure
Old 07-16-03, 08:11 AM   #24 (permalink)

With the criteria you listed, I think a corn snake is your best bet. We can sell you a CB 2002 normal het for montly for $18, CB 2002 snow for $34 and a true red montly for $64. Albino balls are still up around the $3000 mark. They are still only a snake for the breeders. You will not see many in private homes about another 3 to 5 years.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-16-03, 08:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

they just look beautiful<(spelled right)
i really like the look of one
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-03, 08:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

I have a friend here in Chattanooga that is already breeding albino boas. He plans to move into albino balls next year. Once he is producing I can get you a good deal on one, but a good deal on that type snake is still very expensive.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-16-03, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by Conas
i see you're in Florida, and if price is an issue about snakes check out http://www.scserp.com . You probly won't want to mail order anything to you, but maybe you are close to their head quarters and they are really cheap. Who payed $100+ for a ball?
Oopsy my bad. I neglected to make note of the location and I was speaking in Canadian funds, so hack the prices in half On another note, balls for $12 US is for captive hatched (farmed) balls, you will not be able to get captive bred babies for that price, or any less than $50+ US. Although many captive bred babies can be great, I still find them to be more troublesome on average than the CBB babies.
Old 07-25-03, 04:10 AM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snkmn
corn, king, milk, or ball python. they are all usually under 100
Old 07-25-03, 06:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilyskip
I don't own one, but rosies seem like great beginner snakes! I also have a baby ball, and I haven't really had problems with it. He refused his first feeding, but took the second, and is pretty tolerant of being handled.

I think that, even though they are really finnicky eaters, if you are well-read and are prepared for them to stop eating for a few months at a time, then you should be fine. The biggest reason I've found that people say the feeding difficulties make them bad beginner snakes is that new snake owners freak out when the snake doesn't eat and force feed it before it is urgent, causing undue stress for the snake.

I think you should be fine with whatever you choose, though, as long as you do your research, and shop around. (I think it's also a good idea to find a store that carries the full-grown adult snake of the breed that you want, so you can get a sense for it's size)
Closed Thread