border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-03, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

need opinions

today i went to the local pet store to buy mice for my snakes. When i got there the kid who was running the store said they had a new snake there that they were holding for somone. He took me to the cage and inside was a good sized timber rattle snake. the snake was on display on a low shelf with duck tape holding it shut and bungie cords holding the lid. with no adult supervision in the store. It seemed foolish at the least for the parents to be at the house out back but i just want to see what other people thought about it. For the record it really really bothered me
Login to remove ads
Old 07-08-03, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Sounds a little risky to me. but you probably already know what popular opinion will be. and as great as duct tape is, i wouldn't depend on it in a life and death situation.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 07-08-03, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would call the police or animal control becasue that is jsut stupid and dangerous, crap like this hurts the entire hobby. Stupid ppl like this get anti-herp laws passed.
Old 07-08-03, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

see i was thinking that but wasnt still not shure if it s illegal
Old 07-08-03, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

First off, How old was the “kid?” If he can run an entire pet shop, he sounds responsible to me. Also, if he only showed you the snake inside the cage and they had it strapped and taped, I see nothing irresponsible here.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Login to remove ads
Old 07-09-03, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

the kid was maybe twelve and there were alot of people running around he was asking people if they wanted to hold the snakes not that one but the others then when they were holding it he would go do somthing else its a very small pet shop. maybe there is nothing wrong with it i dont know it just bothered me. not to mention that he left the shop twice to go to the house out back and ask prices on rabbits then a 25 gallon tank they had. Im a bit paranoid so maybe Im overreacting
Old 07-09-03, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Mason
wow, talk about a family buisness.
I'm suprised that the shop doesn't have everything stolen every day....

All animals are pets I guess.. I don't know how I feel otherwize.
Old 07-09-03, 02:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

SCReptiles; As a hot keeper don't you feel that this is an acident waiting to happen? Would you cage a hot this way? Have you ever been in a pet store that was proberly equiped for keeping hots? I haven't bee,
Trevor
Old 07-09-03, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

You must be outta your mind SC, nothing wrong! First off you have a minor dealing with a potentaily deadly animal that is not in a sceure cage...Why would you even expose the public to a dangerous animal like that. I am all for hot keeping but in the propper settings. The cage isn't even locked!!!! Anyone could come up and open the cage not knowing that the animal is dangerous your statments are ludacris, I'm sorry but Coy I'd do something about this before someone gets seriouly hurt.
Old 07-09-03, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
Wether or not is is legal to buy/sell/trade hots in Texas doesn't matter to me. I personally don't feel pet shops anywhere have any business carrying such dangerous creatures. Let alone leaving them in the hands of a 12 year old. I've been in enough pet store to know most don't know a damn thing about reptiles. I'd report them.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-09-03, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Coy, not knowing the kid I can’t make a call on if he should have access to venomous reptiles or not. I do know that Mike Wade, Jim Harrison, Anthony Gay and myself all were field working with rattlesnakes before we were 12. I think Mike caught his first copperhead at age 7. Based on what I read yesterday, it seems he had been shown the proper way to do things. He never attempted to get it out. If the store doesn’t usually carry venomous, then it would be something unusual and most people would do just what he did and point it out to you. Venomous keepers are the most negative bunch you have ever seen. Watch what they do whenever and aspiring venomous keeper asks a question. Sometimes it just makes me sick. If you had posted this in the venomous forum, they would have been all over it saying every negative thing they could, and they will anyway if they get wind of it. But if the snake was securely away from the public and he wasn’t trying to get it out, then I have no problem with it. Now, today I read that he left the shop for awhile. If the general public had easy access to the snake while he was gone, I would have a problem with that.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-09-03, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Trevor, If one advocates the keeping of venomous reptiles, one must necessarily advocate the selling and transporting of venomous reptiles. Most dealers at venomous shows will have all their venomous snakes on display inside of deli cups with tapes on lids. It is the industry standard practice. It is effective and inexpensive. Glade’s Herp, Hank Molt, Roark Ferguson all had their venomous set up in Bristol with taped deli cups. The truth is, the timber in question here, was probably still in the container he was shipped in. From the account yesterday, the snake was taped in a carrying/selling case and inside of a display case, which would have kept him from the general public. If that is true, that is a normal procedure and no, I don’t see that as an accident waiting to happen. If in deed, this snake is left completely unattended while the general public was in the shop, then yes of course that is bad protocol. As for your other question, yes I would keep it that way if the buyer was coming shortly to pick it up. As for our collection, they are in a locked building and inside of locked cages inside that building. I fear ignorant people opening the cages more then I fear the snakes escaping those cages. As for being in a pet shop set up for venomous, Animal Adventures in Bristol, VA has all there venomous well locked up out of public reach.
Old 07-09-03, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Oh, I see the ball is rolling. Thanks Colonel SB. Now lets everyone cast all the dispersions we can. We’ll make a contest! Who can be the most negative here?
Old 07-09-03, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bencb3 Send a message via MSN to Bencb3
the cage top was being held on by bungies and duct tape? that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard, where are the adults?
Old 07-09-03, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

he was in 10 gallon tank not a selling case and it was on a lower shelf of a stand not a dsplay case i said it was on display not in a display case. He was calling it a cotton mouth rattlesnake wich would suggest to me that he hasnt dealt with to many hot snakes
Closed Thread